Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Processor Reccomendations?  (Read 5939 times)

Offline scervin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Processor Reccomendations?
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2004, 05:46:06 PM »
I see... looking for great 2 channel with decent HT.  I assume you are looking to keep it one system.  If this were the case for me I'd have 2 systems in 2 different rooms.  Remember that a 2 channel room will suck for HT and a HT room will suck for 2 channel.

jpschust

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2004, 07:30:34 PM »
scott, i think you actually got it kind of backwards of what i wanted.  i wanted a system that did great multichannel for the sacd and dvd audio collection i have.  i wouldn't agree with the notion that a HT room will suck for 2 channel- thats entirely dependant on the amp and pre.  Some pres do really well with coming back and forth from multichannel to stereo but some do not.  Again, the McIntosh unit i got does a very nice job of this.

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2004, 07:52:23 AM »
 "  i wouldn't agree with the notion that a HT room will suck for 2 channel- thats entirely dependant on the amp and pre" In a properly designed HT room you want a "dead" room, so I'd say the room has a lot to do with this as well.   This means treating the entire front wall and most of the sides below ear level. .  For music you want a more "live" room.  This is why you really need 2 sep. rooms if you want both to be great. I've spoken with Dennis Erskine about this as I need a multi purpose room and will be compromising each.  With the money you are spending the room will have much more to play in the overall equation.  You've got a great set of speakers and have your eye on some great components, don't ruin it all by not considereing the room.  I know you have, as you have treatments.  Since you are mainly looking for multi channel audio you will probably be alright and I've not really looked into treating rooms for this application.  I curious to know which transport you are using for all your SACD/DVD-A material as I'll be looking to upgrade very soon.  BTW, not to be a party pooper, but wouldn't the money be put to better use in an IRA?

SC

jpschust

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2004, 10:51:17 AM »
lets work backwards- first off, i used a lot of the money i got, about 80% to put into an IRA, so I'm way ahead of you on that one :-)  Roth IRA's, a kids best friend.  as per a transport, im using a denon dvd-2900 which is great for now, but im looking to eventually go with a better transport. im also using a bel canto 1.1 for my dac.  soon that will have to go in for the 24/192 upgrade

jpschust

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2004, 10:52:45 AM »
forgot room treatments entirely.  ok, the way im about to set up treatments in my living room isnt the best way of all time.  i cant even use all my traps.  this is because i rent and dont want to make a ton of holes everywhere- so im using my traps mounted on cheap black mic stands in the corners.  if it were up to me id work the ceiling too, but i dont want those holes in the wall

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2004, 11:47:52 AM »
Good man Jonny!!  Always pay yourself first  ;D  My comments on room are just to point out that once you get to a certain point the room may make a bigger difference than the amp, cables, etc.  Once I get my room complete I post pictures.  So far I've treated the ceiling with linacoustic. FYI, the room is in my basement and I went with the exposed joist look and painted it all flat black, so I can do just about anything.  Front and rear walls will have some treatment, but they won't be a complete wall of absorbtion.  Like I said, I'm going to try and keep it sort of live for music and sorta dead for HT.  Hopefully it will come out ok.  I've yet to really talk in depth with an expert on acoustics for 5.1 audio, but my guess is that front and rear wall treatments would be needed for slapback.  Please post any info you have on the subject.  BTW, will this system be with the Maggies?

Good luck!
SC

jpschust

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2004, 11:55:04 AM »
yah this is a system that is all maggie oriented with a velodyne sub.  2 10.1s in front, mmgw's in the rear, mmgc in the center. 

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2004, 12:20:26 AM »
i recently came into a lot of money

Must've finally sold that MP2!!  :o  I keed, I keed!!  :P
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com