Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Replacing my Celestion SL6s (pricing and comparables q's)  (Read 8211 times)

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
Replacing my Celestion SL6s (pricing and comparables q's)
« on: November 01, 2011, 12:15:04 PM »
I bought some Celestion SL6s from a local guy a couple years back to use as my "second" speakers in my "dining" room (it's an open-floor type layout apartment, so it's not really a "room").   The guy warned me that they'd need a high-current amp (I think that's what it was), but stupidly I didn't listen (since I wasn't trying to buy a new amp).  Indeed, my non-McIntosh amps don't seem to give these speakers what they need, and the sound quality is not where I'd like it to be as a result.

The speakers are in good condition - some cosmetic wear, but function perfectly.  I paid $325 I think, which was roughly tracking Audiogon at the time. 

I'd like to replace them with something in the $500-600 range that will function fine with this amp: http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo--5VL-Integrated-Stereo-Amplifier/dp/B002C73WR2/ref=sr_1_cc_3?s=jewelry&ie=UTF8&qid=1320163957&sr=1-3-catcorr
  Willing to spend a bit more than that potentially esp if I can get something for the Celestions.

I don't need a massive ton of power - I want detail and finesse and efficiency, and ideally I want something that looks good and has decent grills.  I might eventually move these speakers to be my mastering speakers if I change apartment setups. 

Any thoughts on what might fit the bill?  And, uh, if anyone in the tri-state area wants a good deal on some Celestions, I'll cut you a good price....
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
Re: Replacing my Celestion SL6s (pricing and comparables q's)
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 11:56:03 AM »
I think the Rega's are pretty efficient.  I love my R1's, if you can buy them used on Audiogon you will be a happy camper.  My Yamaha receiver drives them effortlessly.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 08:52:42 AM »
Maybe take a look at the Dynaudio budget line (like the DM 2/6).  I listened to many similarly sized/priced speakers (including B&W 685, Elac BS182, Dali Ikon 1, Monitor Audio RX1, Focal Chorus 706V and 806V, KEF Q100 and Q300, and a bunch of others) and came away with the Dynaudios.  Not as pretty as some of the others, but outstanding audio and a great price/quality ratio.  Detailed, balanced, and (for lack of a better word) lively.  They are about 575 a pair. 

A few months after I bought them, I met the Dynaudio chief at a a product launch and mentioned how great they DM 2/6s sounded.  He told me that they pursued a different strategy than most of the other manufacturers in designing a budget speaker.  Most of the companies get the manufacturing done in China, using cheaper components, to keep costs low.  By contrast, Dynaudio does the manufacturing in Denmark using higher grade components and cuts costs by skimping on the appearance a bit...

In the end, though, getting others' opinions on speakers is like asking for others' opinions on mics.  All in the ear of the beholder and all...

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 11:23:59 AM »
^^ Thanks for the suggestion.  Yes, I really need to just find a store in NYC and listen to a bunch of monitors and cans and see what I like...
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline George

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 02:16:48 PM »
In Living Stereo on east 4th is pretty cool...not sure if they have anything in your budget though.

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 12:08:34 PM »
^^^ That's a nice shop.  I think they opened about a year before I moved away from NYC.  And I think they stock the Dyns (at least they used to)...

^^ Thanks for the suggestion.  Yes, I really need to just find a store in NYC and listen to a bunch of monitors and cans and see what I like...

That's absolutely the ticket.  I was lucky enough to find a salesman at a high-end audio shop who was willing to take the time and trouble to let me listen to a bunch of his least expensive, 500 - 700 range, speakers (kind of shocking how pricey these things can get; makes Schoeps look downright cheap.  Hell, some of them make Porsches look downright cheap!).  Actually, he let me do a second listening session when I had narrowed my choices down to two...

Make sure you bring CDs that represent a wide range of your listening tastes.  Some speakers do better with one type of music than another...It might also be a good idea to bring your amp if it's not too much of a pain.  Some speakers sound better, at least to me, when paired with the right amp (like mic/pre combos)...

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 12:13:28 PM »
In Living Stereo on east 4th is pretty cool...not sure if they have anything in your budget though.

Have walked by it many times.  I will give it a look!

Offline ero3030

• Trade Count: (59)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 06:45:24 PM »
i hate those hi end store sales men who give u that look when your not looking at there top end gear.  some of those rooms r too perfect.  they should have the doors open and a couple of kids running round, then u'll know if the sound good at your own place :P  but if your looking for something easy to run, Klipsch's fit the bill.  ed
needin some fishhead music!

" known for f**king up a good weekend on a Thursday nite "

Offline One Cylinder

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 07:20:59 AM »
>>>>>> acidjack - you need an amp w/ more power, or a more efficient speaker. If you're gonna go with another set of speakers, I'd recommend first finding out the sensitivity of your Celestains. (If the figure isn't located somewhere on the speaker you can likely find it on the web.) I imagine the number is in the mid 80's, which isn't unusual for speakers of that age, but is not very efficient. Once you determine the sensitivy of your current speakers you'll have a benchmark for what doesn't work w/ your McIntosh amps. Also, here's a nice (and brief!) summary of amplifier wattage & speaker ensitivy. I found it on the website I've listed below the quote.

"Speaker sensitivity is expressed in terms of the number of decibels (dB) of sound pressure level (SPL) per 1 Watt of amplifier power measured at 1 meter from the speaker. Usually manufacturers drop the 'SPL/W/M' and just say ‘db’. Most loudspeakers have sensitivities in the range of 85 to 91 dB. So a sensitivity of less than 85dB is not so hot."

http://willapse.hubpages.com/hub/Speaker-Watt

Hope that helps.......

Schoeps MK4(x2) MK21(x2)
Schoeps CMC6(x4) CMC1K(x2)
Sonosax SX-M2, Grace Design ACM Lunatec V3
Roland OCM R-44

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 04:35:46 PM »
i hate those hi end store sales men who give u that look when your not looking at there top end gear.  some of those rooms r too perfect.  they should have the doors open and a couple of kids running round, then u'll know if the sound good at your own place :P  but if your looking for something easy to run, Klipsch's fit the bill.  ed

LOL.  Any "high-end audio" store worth its salt will allow you to test the speakers at home and bring them back to exchange with something else if they don't fit the bill in your listening environment.

Offline George

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 02:05:45 PM »

I was very nervous about stepping into In Living Stereo because of all the bad comments these high-end stores get from shoppers on various audio sites (even yelp has reviews on them).  I have nothing but praise for the people that run ILS.  I was basically left alone to listen to music for nearly two hours.   No sales pressure was forced on me at all.  That's why after buying the R1's back in 2006 I went back and purchased the RS Vox this past summer and have my eyes set on the RS5's as well.

The room they have their monitors and low(er) end floorstanding speakers is just your typical rectangular audio room with some minor wall treatments.  Nothing too offending to my amateur audio tastes.

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 12:42:50 PM »
LOL.  Any "high-end audio" store worth its salt will allow you to test the speakers at home and bring them back to exchange with something else if they don't fit the bill in your listening environment.

No doubt.  The good ones also provide loaners when you are waiting for a shipment or repair and some freebies/discounts on accessories (like cables).  They are also often willing to negotiation a bit on price...

EDIT: A lot of them will do free delivery too.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 12:44:28 PM by aaronji »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com