Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Wind noise on recording... ways to lessen it?  (Read 2072 times)

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
Wind noise on recording... ways to lessen it?
« on: March 09, 2008, 05:47:05 PM »
The first outdoor recording I did (Taste of Chicago in 2001) I didn't know that I should use the windscreens (doh) and have significant wind noise on an otherwise good recording.  Any suggestions on how to remaster this using Sound Forge to help lessen the wind effect, like maybe dropping the lower frequencies in EQ or something? 

edit: also, how effective are windscreen foam covers at eliminating/preventing wind noise on recordings?  The more foam the better?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 05:48:52 PM by su6oxone »

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Wind noise on recording... ways to lessen it?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 06:00:04 PM »
Large foam covers, the size of large baking potatoes, work pretty well.  Dead rats, too, if they are big enough.

I have found I can reduce but not entirely eliminate the wind noise with a high pass/low cut filter.  Play with it until you have cut as much as you can without ruining the music.  I have not been able to fix it entirely.  Other folks may not notice, but I do.   8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 06:22:54 PM »
su6oxone, wind noise is usually concentrated more at the lowest frequencies, but may extend well up into the musical midrange. Thus it isn't always possible to filter such noise out of an existing recording without killing the sound quality. Some kinds of deficiencies in a recording can't always be "fixed in the mix"--especially fundamental problems with microphones and their use--a fact which I guess you realize by now.

Omnidirectional (pressure) microphones are considerably less vulnerable in general to wind noise than directional (pressure gradient) microphones are. The difference in susceptibility might be, say, 20 dB--in many cases, enough so that with just simple foam windscreens on a pair of spaced omnis, you're OK. But many people don't have omnidirectional microphones, and many folks simply prefer to use (or need to use) directional microphones for particular recording applications. In that case, more serious windscreens may well be necessary. Then again, there are gradations among the directional patterns in microphones: a wide cardioid is less susceptible to wind than a cardioid, all other things being equal, while figure-8s are more susceptible than cardioids.

Windscreens are generally made for specific shapes, sizes and types of microphones, since one size does not fit all. Nor is any one type of construction optimal for all transducer types, in terms of the tradeoff between effectiveness and maintaining sound quality. The most effective windscreens for directional microphones are hollow, and trap a layer of air around both the front and rear sound inlets of the microphone. (Directional microphones always have a front and a rear sound inlet, while omnidirectional microphones of the pressure variety don't; thus this more complex approach isn't particularly helpful for most omnis.)

One interesting and informative Web site is Rycote.com--they make advanced windscreens for film and video sound recordists, people who record nature sounds, etc. and they have models for many different brands and types of microphone. But the manufacturer of your particular microphones may also offer good choices, depending.

--best regards

P.S. added later: Another problem with wind is that the membrane excursions that it causes can be so extreme that the microphone's circuitry is overloaded in trying to make a signal out of them, or if not, the input of the preamp or recorder can be drastically overdriven (clipped). If that has already happened in a recording, it can be difficult or impossible to conceal the effect with subsequent processing. Again, that's a reason to protect your microphones before making an outdoor recording if there's any risk of wind.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 09:08:39 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 06:39:03 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions/info!  That really helped.  I guess I'll try fiddling around with the EQ to see if I can lessen the wind rumbling in the recordings I already made, and hope for better luck with some decent wind screens for future recordings.  I'll have to check out those ones with a layer of air in between the cover and mic, that sounds promising.  ;D

Offline balou2

• Crippled, but still dancin'
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • He was a friend of mine.
    • Little Mountain Sound Archive
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 11:15:28 PM »
Just turn on a fan when you listen to it.  :-X
Socks are overrated.

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 01:04:26 AM »
^^^^ That's it!  That's it!
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline cleantone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 09:24:32 PM »
ditto on the above. You might want to cut  out low frequencies up to 50hz, 80hz, maybe 120hz, maybe 160hz depending on how they sound. I say this because if you do not the playback of that massive low end can really push your woofers and possibly damage your speakers.
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 07:06:31 PM »
ditto on the above. You might want to cut  out low frequencies up to 50hz, 80hz, maybe 120hz, maybe 160hz depending on how they sound. I say this because if you do not the playback of that massive low end can really push your woofers and possibly damage your speakers.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.  I'm planning to buy some windscreens from sound pros for my cardioids and maybe use the low cut on my R-09 as well, and then try Izotope Rx for residual noise.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com