Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA 4061 / SP-CMC-8 directly into R-09?  (Read 6554 times)

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: DPA 4061 / SP-CMC-8 directly into R-09?
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 01:17:06 PM »
Very simple question, though perhaps overly broad...

For a band like Yes (set varying from acoustic guitar solos to medium-volume amplified to loud/boomy bass pedals) would I be able to get away with DPA 4061 and/or SP-CMC-8 (AT943) directly into R-09?  I am trying to minimize my gear load, but I won't do it if it will significantly compromise the result.  Venues: Mostly outdoor sheds, some indoor 3-5,000 seaters, handful arenas.   P.S. I have proper connections for 4061.

There is not enough battery voltage to run your mics into the R-09. The voltage is 3.9 volts the dpa needs to see 5 volts the AT will work at 3.9 but at a decreased max spl I might be able to mod the 943 so it would work with your r09 directly but that will reduce the sensitivity of the mic and cause you to use more gain this "might" not be an issue in loud shows but it would be an issue in quieter ones.

Hold on there!  Yes, DPA need more volts.  However, AT853 and family will run quite well from Edirol Plug-in-power.  If you use a 4.7k or 2.2k mod, and run straight into the Edirol, AT853, AT822, Sennheiser KE4, Sennheiser MKE2, and Church mics will all work great.  Getting things to work on Minidisc plug-in-power is harder.  I've experienced overloads in many cases.

Richard

2.4k for 3.8 volts 4.7 k for voltages above 5.8volts.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 04:44:56 PM »
Might be silly question but I prefer to be sure. All that SP-SPSB-X battery boxes are also preamps but without any flexibility left for user, right?

No.  Battery boxes supply necessary power to the mics, with no gain.  Preamps "amplify" the signal, and it just so happens that just about every preamp also is set up to provide that power the mics need.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline Chaosu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2008, 09:22:38 AM »
Might be silly question but I prefer to be sure. All that SP-SPSB-X battery boxes are also preamps but without any flexibility left for user, right?

No.  Battery boxes supply necessary power to the mics, with no gain.  Preamps "amplify" the signal, and it just so happens that just about every preamp also is set up to provide that power the mics need.

That suprised me a lot, why those are marked as 2-3 in this topic then? http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,35004.0.html

Offline taperwheeler

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2008, 12:26:27 PM »

So if someone is running a MT2 which supplies enough power for AT853 mics, there is really no need for the battery box (unless you wanna roll off some low end)?

Curious b/c I ran my first stealth recording the other night (at853>mt2).  The recording came out pretty okay.  Seems like there's some distortion on the low end though.  Not sure if I should've used the box? 
Mics: SP-CMC-8 AT933 Body 4.7K mod AT853 (c, sc) U853 (h) Microline Shotguns
Pres: CA 9100, SP-Preamp
Recorders: MT2 , Tascam DR-07, PCM-M10, PCM A10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com