Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: church audio shock mounts  (Read 6051 times)

Offline pwig

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
church audio shock mounts
« on: July 06, 2008, 11:33:06 AM »

Here is my setup:

Church-Audio STC-11 cards > Church-Audio STC-9100 preamp > Edirol R-09 (24 bit 48 khz)

I have been very pleased with the sound of the recordings with advice from tapers here. I did an outdoor festival and the results were great - with the exception of wind. Anyone have any solutions on how to shock mount these to avoid this problem in the future?

Thanks!

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • beep boop
Re: church audio shock mounts
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 11:40:01 AM »

Here is my setup:

Church-Audio STC-11 cards > Church-Audio STC-9100 preamp > Edirol R-09 (24 bit 48 khz)

I have been very pleased with the sound of the recordings with advice from tapers here. I did an outdoor festival and the results were great - with the exception of wind. Anyone have any solutions on how to shock mount these to avoid this problem in the future?

Thanks!

Shock mounts aren't gonna help with wind noise. Bigger windscreens or getting closer to the sound source are your best options IMO.
In: AT853>PMD620
Out: PC>MOTU Ultralite AVB>M-Audio BX8a/Grace m900

DAW: Ableton Live 10

My LMA Recordings

Offline run_run_run

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 01:03:48 PM »
See if you can make or get someone to make you some dead rats. That can will help.

Offline MSTaper

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 01:15:54 PM »
I was thinking about this issue this past weekend at an outdoor show. I had to deal with rain and wind. I always leave my CA windscreens on but I still got a bit of rumble in my recording, but it's not terribly noticeable. There was some intermittent rain, but I had a plastic bag handy to cover them up. Probably would have ruined the recording, but I since the stage wasn't covered, I figured the bands would leave the stage if  it got too bad. I had my gear bag in a plastic bag with my camera so everything stayed dry. It never rained hard, luckily. Does anyone make very tiny dead rats?  rWc3523
Church Audio CA-11, Avantone CK-1
Edirol UA-5
Edirol R-09, Fostex FR-2LE

12/13 Patterson Hood - Florence, Ala.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 01:18:01 PM »

Here is my setup:

Thanks!

Dead rats are the best there are a few guys here that make some really good ones. I dont know who they are but I have seen them before. The other way is to build a box from coat hangers and nylons. You put the mics inside with the windscreens on and the two layers of nylons and the windscreens work pretty good. The other option is to buy bigger windscreens and place them over top of the existing windscreens.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline pwig

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 02:14:59 PM »

Here is my setup:

Thanks!

Dead rats are the best there are a few guys here that make some really good ones. I dont know who they are but I have seen them before. The other way is to build a box from coat hangers and nylons. You put the mics inside with the windscreens on and the two layers of nylons and the windscreens work pretty good. The other option is to buy bigger windscreens and place them over top of the existing windscreens.

Do you or does anyone have a picture of this setup?

Or, who are the dead rat dealers?

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 02:48:53 PM »
Not sure if these would work. I have a pair for my DPA 4060's which I believe are quite a bit smaller than the Church caps.

Rycote probably makes larger dead rats.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/322573-REG/Rycote_065515_Furry_Lavalier_Windjammer.html

Also, I was just given some el cheapo windscreens from Radio Shack that I used on my 4060's at Red Rocks and had no wind noise at all on my recording. The 4060's are omni's and therefore not as sensitive to wind, so YMMV.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline pwig

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 02:53:54 PM »
Not sure if these would work. I have a pair for my DPA 4060's which I believe are quite a bit smaller than the Church caps.

Rycote probably makes larger dead rats.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/322573-REG/Rycote_065515_Furry_Lavalier_Windjammer.html

Also, I was just given some el cheapo windscreens from Radio Shack that I used on my 4060's at Red Rocks and had no wind noise at all on my recording. The 4060's are omni's and therefore not as sensitive to wind, so YMMV.

Thanks for the heads up - so now the question becomes how to mount them - anyone?

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 05:16:37 PM »

Offline pwig

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 09:32:18 PM »
These two threads should prove very helpful

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,82529.0.html

AND

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,83851.0.html

Awesome threads - the problem I have is that my mics have clips permanently soddered to them. I was thinking I could just do a shockmount with a piece of pvc strung through and the mics clipped on the end. Is that lo-fi enough? Would it work?

Seriously, can you remove the clips?

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 09:37:31 PM »
I'm not sure if you understand what a shockmount does. Basically it SUSPENDS the mics so that if the stand is bumped you reduce the "thunk" sound on your recording. They do not do anything to reduce wind noise.

WINDSCREENS (little foam things that cover your mics and isolate the wind noise) block the wind.

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||

Offline pwig

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 09:40:13 PM »
I'm not sure if you understand what a shockmount does. Basically it SUSPENDS the mics so that if the stand is bumped you reduce the "thunk" sound on your recording. They do not do anything to reduce wind noise.

WINDSCREENS (little foam things that cover your mics and isolate the wind noise) block the wind.

Correct - I need to do both - block and the wind and get set up with a new mic stand/shockmount system.

Offline fanofthemule

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 09:52:20 PM »

Correct - I need to do both - block and the wind and get set up with a new mic stand/shockmount system.

do your mics have the clips on them?
Sony PCM-M10

Fostex FR2LE Busman TMod

Superlux S502 ORTF

Offline pwig

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2008, 09:56:10 PM »

do your mics have the clips on them?

Yes - they do.

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2008, 10:06:46 PM »

Gotcha.

Have you had trouble with your stand getting knocked? I've never run shockmounts and rarely have issues. Although I don't go to festies much. I'm usually in a roped off section with other tapers who generally behave themselves.

Offline pwig

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2008, 10:08:13 PM »

Gotcha.

Have you had trouble with your stand getting knocked? I've never run shockmounts and rarely have issues. Although I don't go to festies much. I'm usually in a roped off section with other tapers who generally behave themselves.

I have been bumped - and I have a really cheap mic stand that needs to be about 4 feet higher. Suggestions?

Offline heyitsmejess

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2008, 06:48:57 AM »
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/WT-SP-20

get 2 and a t-bar.  clip the mics on to the above mount in the manner you wish.

i had my mic stand fall over with these mounts holding my CA cards, and you cant even hear it (other than a guy in the band saying "nice catch!")
cause we zig and zag between good and bad
stumble and fall on right and wrong

http://www.rumpkemountainboys.org/

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2008, 07:31:43 AM »
I made some dead rats for my CA mics.

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,103352.0.html

The mounts are Tensimounts on a standard t-bar.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline pwig

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2008, 07:41:04 AM »

Can I buy some from you?

Also, where did you get the mounts?

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2008, 08:45:05 AM »

Can I buy some from you?

Also, where did you get the mounts?

Sorry, the dead rats were strictly a DIY project.  I don't use a sewing machine, so my wife actually did the sewing.

The mounts can be found at http://www.tensimount.com/
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2008, 09:59:42 AM »
I also made some dead rats for my AT mics. I can sew, though my technique is a little ropy.

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,89701.msg1194377.html#msg1194377

They look terrible, but work, though they cut off the top end a bit.

Rykote if you need better ones.

I use a piece of scrap plastic as a T-bar, drilled in the centre to mount to my stand; works well.
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2008, 10:38:59 PM »
I plan on using the "arms" off my dead teddy: (scroll down)
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,101340.msg1388192.html#msg1388192

Cost: $1.00 US
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 47 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com