Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Buzzing noises in recording?  (Read 2270 times)

Offline tailschao

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Buzzing noises in recording?
« on: February 28, 2009, 07:34:27 AM »
Anybody offer any insight into these? I've attached samples. The first sample is the one with the buzzing problem. It only seemed to happen a lot on the final 2 songs of the recording with a couple of buzzes at other places, but shorter.

The second sample is from a previous recording that kept cutting between good sound and mono tinny sound, which I managed to trace back to the cable not being connected to the recorder properly. While there is no buzz in it, there seems to be a similarity in the way the problems manifest themselves, so I was wondering if the causes could also be similar. Although, since realizing that the cable connection broke this recording I made sure several times throughout the show that it was connected properly in my most recent recording (first one). Could my fiddling with the cable have actually caused the buzzing do you think? I hadn't thought of that until just now...

CA STC-11 > CA ST-9100 > Zoom H2 (Line in, 24/48)

Thanks

Sample 1 - http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/2/28/2341967/Killers%20buzz%20sample%20%28Jenny%29.mp3
Sample 2 - http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/2/28/2341967/Quo%20cable%20fail%20sample%20%28Oriental%29.mp3

Offline danlynch

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • nyctaper
Re: Buzzing noises in recording?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 09:06:50 AM »
That's not the standard cell phone interference buzz.  In my opinion, that's a loose/faulty cable problem.
Founder and Host of NYCTaper:  http://www.nyctaper.com

Microphones:  Schoeps CCM4Us, Sennheiser MKH-8040s, Neumann KM-150s, Neumann TLM-102s, DPA 4061s
Recorders:  Sound Devices 744t, Edirol R-44 (Oade Concert Mod), Edirol R-05
Pre-Amps, D/A's:  Apogee Mini-Me

My Recordings on Archive.org: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/danlynch

Offline deadheadcorey

• HOME TEAM Tapir
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • think for yourself, question authority
    • My Recordings on the LMA
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 08:55:52 PM »
That's not the standard cell phone interference buzz.  In my opinion, that's a loose/faulty cable problem.

agreed as well
mics: Audix M1245a-HC; AKG SE300B/CK91; Naiant X-O (hanging in the sweet spot @ Quixote's True Blue)
pres: Oade T+ UA-5; digimod UA-5
recs: R-09x3

iso: 2 ck93 caps
iso: pair of AT4041 mics

Official Archivist for Grant Farm

http://www.facebook.com/kindrecordingscolorado

Jerry Joseph rap during 'Conscious Contact'
"Life's pretty good. life's pretty good. it isn't all good.
I hate it when people tell me its all good. it's not all good.
it's not suppose to be all good. it's suppose to be bad sometimes so you can enjoy the good parts."

Offline tailschao

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 05:43:31 AM »
Ok, thanks. Confirmed my suspicions that the two problems were related. After dubbing it onto the video I took it seems that most of the buzzes are accompanied by a sharp video movement - I.E. I moved in my seat. Thinking about I did start to lose the willpower to sit still as the show went on and start to 'rock out' a little, which is when the buzzes appear. I suppose the movement could have caused the cable to wobble and twist in the socket a bit.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 11:22:43 AM »
Ok, thanks. Confirmed my suspicions that the two problems were related. After dubbing it onto the video I took it seems that most of the buzzes are accompanied by a sharp video movement - I.E. I moved in my seat. Thinking about I did start to lose the willpower to sit still as the show went on and start to 'rock out' a little, which is when the buzzes appear. I suppose the movement could have caused the cable to wobble and twist in the socket a bit.

I duplicated the problem here with a half out cable the sound was the same, to bad it sounds like you got a good recording otherwise.
Are you using one of my cables? if not you might want to consider getting one made by me or someone like Nickspicks I can or Nick can make you a cable with a R/A connector.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline tailschao

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 12:20:10 PM »
No, at the moment I'm using some random cable I got off eBay for a couple of quid. Probably not a great idea, I know ;D

Excuse my ignorance, but what's an R/A connector?

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 01:05:58 PM »
No, at the moment I'm using some random cable I got off eBay for a couple of quid. Probably not a great idea, I know ;D

Excuse my ignorance, but what's an R/A connector?

r/a = Right angle connector. And cheap cables are never a good idea mainly because they use cheap connectors.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline mikesalvo

• Trade Count: (51)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • get your Avett on!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 09:49:17 PM »
also, I do alot of undercover camerawork for the news, and it usually involves me walked around with a backpack full of gear w/ simmilar connections as your gear (1/8", rca's etc....) I ALWAYS tape over ALL my connections to reinforce them and ensure nothing gets kicked out or disconnected. Lil gaff tape if you have it will save your ass!
AKG se300b (ck/91, ck/93) > Busman T-Mod R-4

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com