Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Taping Buskers (Street Musicians) in Pittsburgh  (Read 1804 times)

Offline TAlderson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Taping Buskers (Street Musicians) in Pittsburgh
« on: September 08, 2010, 02:39:00 PM »
For a project for a radio program I'd like to walk around the city I'm in (Pittsburgh) and try to record some street performers. I've got a Tascam DR-07 that I use mainly for recording myself (I'm a music student), and access to other equipment from our radio station (WRCT). We have lots of 57s and 58s, a few omni and cardiod condensers, and a Marantz 661 recorder.

So, my question is, how light/easy can I go without too much sacrifice of sound quality. I will be mostly walking and taking the bus, so I would like to have as little equipment as possible. I read http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=110492.0, but I don't think we have any binaural mics available. Since there's generally a lot of street noise anyway, could I get away with using a 58 or 57 with the DR-07, or even the internals? Or will the internal noise combine with street noise and make everything terrible? If I go with a condenser, should I go omni or cardiod? I don't have too much time before it starts getting too cold for busking, so i want as few trial and error days as possible...

Thanks,

-Tyler

PS: If anyone happens to know good places to find buskers in Pittsburgh, please tell me. I figured the Strip and E Carson, but otherwise it's been hard finding them...

Offline rhinowing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
Re: Taping Buskers (Street Musicians) in Pittsburgh
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 03:27:21 PM »
Are any of the mics you have small enough to tape/otherwise attach to the DR-07?? (I use hair ties to do this sometimes) I wouldn't want to deal with having to hold multiple pieces of gear, and that will get you better sound quality than the internals...
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

Offline TAlderson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 10:51:16 PM »
I was hoping to be able to figure out an acceptable level for each performer on the recorder and then put it in my pocket while actually recording them.

-Tyler

Offline disco

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • learning as I go
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 11:57:17 AM »
For a project for a radio program I'd like to walk around the city I'm in (Pittsburgh) and try to record some street performers. I've got a Tascam DR-07 that I use mainly for recording myself (I'm a music student), and access to other equipment from our radio station (WRCT). We have lots of 57s and 58s, a few omni and cardiod condensers, and a Marantz 661 recorder.

So, my question is, how light/easy can I go without too much sacrifice of sound quality. I will be mostly walking and taking the bus, so I would like to have as little equipment as possible. I read http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=110492.0, but I don't think we have any binaural mics available. Since there's generally a lot of street noise anyway, could I get away with using a 58 or 57 with the DR-07, or even the internals? Or will the internal noise combine with street noise and make everything terrible? If I go with a condenser, should I go omni or cardiod? I don't have too much time before it starts getting too cold for busking, so i want as few trial and error days as possible...

Thanks,

-Tyler

PS: If anyone happens to know good places to find buskers in Pittsburgh, please tell me. I figured the Strip and E Carson, but otherwise it's been hard finding them...

as for the cards vs. omnis...if you are in an area with a decent amount of street noise the omni's will pick a lot of that up. The cards will likely pick up much less. Not sure what your mounting options are but I'm betting that wearing the mics will be best.
CA-14 (c,o)->9100, Littlebox->M10 or DR-07

Offline travelinbeat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Turning soundwaves into zeros and ones since 1999
    • http://db.etree.org/travelinbeat
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 12:38:54 PM »
I was in Spain for a few weeks and I spent a few nights walking the streets of Barcelona with omni's looped around my ears and in affect stealthing the entire night.  Moving through the bars and across the dusty, Vespa and bicycle laden streets, all sounds great now, especially for playback on headphones, where the directionality is really driven home.
Mics: Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14's
Units: 2x Edirol R-09HR, iRiver H120 (RockBox + 2200mAh + CF mod)
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Team DC · Team Naiant · Team Busman · Team Church Audio · NFL Team is NY Jets

I tape in earnest dedication to the mission of breaking the back of the CTOA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com