Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sonic Studios DSM6 and battery box?  (Read 2359 times)

Offline thunderbolt

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
Sonic Studios DSM6 and battery box?
« on: January 19, 2011, 11:03:08 PM »
Reviving my taping activities after about 15 years.  I have a very early pair of Sonic Studios DSM6 mics (ca. early 1990s) which were supplied with an in-line, single AA battery holder.  I used them straight into a Sony TC-D6 with what I thought were good results (although Len thought it was a poor combination).  I have a Tascam DR-07 on order.  I know that Len has said that the Sony M-10 and M-50 will provide ideal power to  these mics from plug-in power. 

My question (and I will certainly do some testing), is whether I should get a battery box regardless.  Reading through his website, he notes that a 9V battery box won't damage the mics, but he says they won't perform at their best with that approach.  Is he referring to the ultimate voltage they would receive?  I know his designs are proprietary, but would it make sense to buy a basic 9V battery box and go line-in on the DR-07?  Would that give me the best shot at using the mics to their "full potential" for loud concert recordings?

Thanks in advance.

Corbin

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sonic Studios DSM6 and battery box?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 03:56:15 PM »
That was a good rig in the mid 90s :)... Welcome back!

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Sonic Studios DSM6 and battery box?
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 01:53:14 PM »
would it make sense to buy a basic 9V battery box and go line-in on the DR-07?  Would that give me the best shot at using the mics to their "full potential" for loud concert recordings?

No-definitely do not use a 9 volt battery box. Unlike the typical mini-mics we use, Sonic Studios mics are designed to operate with low voltage & surely would perform better using the plug in power from the DR-07 than with a 9 volt battery box. You can try it that way & then get a Sonic Studio's battery box if necessary.

Your mics probably sounded good going into the TC-D6 because most Sony decks back then provided pretty low plug in power voltage. Even though Sonic Studios recommended a deck mod to run their mics straight into a TCD-D100 DAT, some tapers reported the mics sounded fine that way without the mod.

I'm sure the DR-07 has higher plug in power voltage than the TC-D6, so the mics might not sound as good, but you certainly can try & see. Get the Sonic Studios box if you aren't satisfied with the sound. A 9 volt box wouldn't help at all and probably would reduce the sound quality.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.129 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com