Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: HELP-Appx 500 "billydee masters" Cassette, PCM Beta, DAT formats need transfer  (Read 5977 times)

Offline billydee

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Hi there folks.
Long retired taper still has about 500 masters (most are sbd, Shoeps or Nak recordings) that need to be transferred. I can't do it myself and really need the help. About 50 or so of my masters have already been completed and uploaded to Dime, you can search "billydee" there to get an idea of what's been done already.

Many are from the Philadelphia area including about 150 of which are from the Chestnut Cabaret.

They mostly run from 1983 thru about 2001 with the heaviest period being the 80's. This is a very diverse collection with some stuff you're all familiar with and some other very rare stuff.
I do have a reasonably detailed spreadsheet/list available if anyone is serious and would like to help. Please message or email me with your email address for the list.

Thanks, billydee
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 02:56:54 PM by billydee »

dorrcoq

• Trade Count: (0)
I might be interested in a few cassette transfers.  I can't do DAT, and I don't know what "PCM Beta" is. :)  A list would be cool, though.

Offline billydee

• Taperssection All-Star
I might be interested in a few cassette transfers.  I can't do DAT, and I don't know what "PCM Beta" is. :)  A list would be cool, though.
I'll forward you the list.
PCM was the digital format we used prior to the arrival of DAT. I started doing PCM in 1986. PCM used the video tracks of a Beta or VHS videotape recorder to lay down the digital signal.

kirk97132

I'd like to see the list and help there were some great shows at the Chestnut Cabaret. Many of which I was at.  I can't do the PCM transfers, just don't have the gear. 

dorrcoq

So for the PCM would you have to play them on an old Beta machine?  Or would they play on a VHS (not that I have a working one of those, either)?

Offline billydee

• Taperssection All-Star
You would first need a PCM machine plugged into the video out from the Beta/VHS machine , something like a Sony PCM F1 which is what I used then and still have. There were a few other Sony models made, the F1 was the "portable" version weighing in at about 10 lbs. Lugging this stuff around was quite a task, successfully sneaking it into a show was a major miracle.

Wikipedia has a nice writeup on the PCM technology.

Offline ellaguru

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • the wendy hour
im up for any cassette/DAT transfers that i can help with.  might be a good idea to farm out artists to transfer-helpers that may know the music better than others.  i have 0.0 knowledge of hippy rock but i can track & title any mike watt, mudhoney, sonic youth, post punk stuff.

chris

Offline billydee

• Taperssection All-Star
im up for any cassette/DAT transfers that i can help with.  might be a good idea to farm out artists to transfer-helpers that may know the music better than others.  i have 0.0 knowledge of hippy rock but i can track & title any mike watt, mudhoney, sonic youth, post punk stuff.

chris
The majority of this ain't hippy-rock. I'll forward you the list, I think you'll like it.

Offline ellaguru

• Trade Count: (17)
    • the wendy hour
ok nice..i pm'd my email addy

chris

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
Ideally you should use a PCM-601 esd for the pcm transfers as it has spdif io so you can transfer digitally (this is the only PCM box I know of with this feature)

More than likely the tapes are beta
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline billydee

• Taperssection All-Star
Ideally you should use a PCM-601 esd for the pcm transfers as it has spdif io so you can transfer digitally (this is the only PCM box I know of with this feature)

More than likely the tapes are beta
Point well made on the PCM transfers. 601s are few and far between at this point but that's really the only way to do it.
95% of my PCMs are on beta tapes (16bit), the others VHS tapes @ 14bit

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
I've got a few F1/601 setups here and would be willing to look at a few as long as you are not in a rush.

h
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline billydee

• Taperssection All-Star
I've got a few F1/601 setups here and would be willing to look at a few as long as you are not in a rush.

h
Definitely not in a rush....I'll forward you the list, which you can sort on PCM pretty easy.
Thx

kirk97132

Heath if you are doing the PCM's there are a couple I'd like to get copies of from you ;D

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline tapjunkie

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
I would be willing to help out with some.  Please send a list.  I have a Nak CR7 that someone gave me for cassettes and can get another DAT easily.

Offline billydee

• Taperssection All-Star
Folks, the response to help with this has been slightly overwhelming  :o which I'm very thankful for BTW  :)  but I need to call a timeout now until I sort thru and get things moving with the first several volunteers.
Thanks y'all, I'll get back to you soon.

dorrcoq

Folks, the response to help with this has been slightly overwhelming 

Nothing like a sniff of uncirculated masters to get guys excited :)

Offline EarlyMorningRain

• Trade Count: (7)
I sent an email to get your list (received it today-thanks!), for any of there that may be in PCM format that I would be interested in (in which that is a format I can not work with), any chance my transfer requests could get tagged onto someone else's list who may be doing any PCM transfers? At most there are 5, but if I had to limit that down then my PCM show count is 2.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 11:50:58 AM by EarlyMorningRain »

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
I have a pcm501 but in Ca.  Nick aka schoepsnbox is in Philly and transferred a bunch of my dats.  send him a pm.  he also has a friend who might be able to do the cassettes.  Any chance of posting the masters that are transferred on planet rock.  masters free leech over there are the torrents last longer since they dont get deleted.

Offline billydee

• Taperssection All-Star
I have a pcm501 but in Ca.  Nick aka schoepsnbox is in Philly and transferred a bunch of my dats.  send him a pm.  he also has a friend who might be able to do the cassettes.  Any chance of posting the masters that are transferred on planet rock.  masters free leech over there are the torrents last longer since they dont get deleted.
I think I'm doing ok with the responses here so far and should be in good shape for all the formats. Thank you for the suggestions, I will keep them in mind.

I have no real preference about where the transferred masters get posted, Planet Rock would be fine. Never used it myself but I'll assume from your suggestion it's a fine place.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.133 seconds with 50 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com