Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Pre-amp / mic in question  (Read 2730 times)

Offline bigu2fan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Pre-amp / mic in question
« on: May 17, 2013, 06:17:50 PM »
 Going to an acoustic show tonight. I will be using a Sony m-10, an SP pre-amp and SP CMC 8 mics. My question is this. Should I be going mics > preamp > line in > Sony m-10 or mics > preamp > mic in > Sony m-10

It's been awhile and I am having a brain fade on this. Thanks very much for any help u can give

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: Pre-amp / mic in question
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 06:18:41 PM »
Line in.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline bigu2fan

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 06:23:57 PM »
Ok, thanks! I will go mics > sp preamp > line in Sony m-10.

When using a preamp like the sound professionals standard one, should I pretty much ALWAYS be going line in? Or is there a scenario where I'd ever want to use mic in with an external preamp?

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 06:56:54 PM »
You go mic in if you were using the plug in power of the M10 or a battery box for a show that wasn't super loud (thereby using the M10's mic preamp).

I use LINE IN for everything except when I'm running my B3's directly to the M10, in which case I turn the plug in power on on the M10 or the B3's > Church BB > M10 where I turn the plug in power off (since the BB provides the power).

Some people will run mics > BB > Line In for loud shows. I've never tried it since I'll run my Nevatons for louder shows.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 07:52:16 PM »
You go mic in if you were using the plug in power of the M10 or a battery box for a show that wasn't super loud (thereby using the M10's mic preamp).

I use LINE IN for everything except when I'm running my B3's directly to the M10, in which case I turn the plug in power on on the M10 or the B3's > Church BB > M10 where I turn the plug in power off (since the BB provides the power).

Some people will run mics > BB > Line In for loud shows. I've never tried it since I'll run my Nevatons for louder shows.
^^ THIS.

I would suggest for louder shows to run MICS > BB > LINE IN.   For quieter shows (like the one you're mentioning), it's probably better to run mics > BB > mic in (PIP OFF) since it'll be quieter.

Offline bigu2fan

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 09:41:15 AM »

I would suggest for louder shows to run MICS > BB > LINE IN.   For quieter shows (like the one you're mentioning), it's probably better to run mics > BB > mic in (PIP OFF) since it'll be quieter.

OK, I don't have a battery box. Just a Sound Professionals 9v Preamp with +0, +15 and +30 gain options via a switch. Should I go MICS > PREAMP > LINE IN even with the amplified acoustic shows? This is what I did last night with the gain set at +15. The pre-amp volume knob was almost maxed out. Volume on the M-10 was at 7 or 8. Cursory listen to one of the tracks in my car sounded good on the way home from the show.

I guess, should an external pre amp be used in the place of a BB in your scenario. My experiences using a battery box > line in weren't great. Either the shows were too bassy (even in a good taping spot DFC in front of mixing desk area) or levels not strong. This is why I bought the SP preamp

Offline Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 07:50:05 PM »
When in doubt line in is always safest if your worried about overload
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK1,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 09:32:47 PM »
Generally Mic > Power Source > Line IN.   I wouldn't want to run a preamp via MIC IN and could see that distorting the heck out of a capture.   

Preamp isn't going to "improve" the sound of your recording.  If the recording is bassy, it will still be bassy with a preamp.  Most of what a small preamp does is drives the mics harder so you can get better levels; if you're in a lousy sounding room it won't "help" your recording in the least.   

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 10:17:28 PM »
By the way, the reason some people were putting BB in the chain is that a preamp at zero gain essentially is a battery box, providing power to the mics that helps them handle louder sounds.

There is already a preamp behind the mic-in jack--that defines "Mic-in." Line-in expects a powered or amplified signal, as from an external preamp. So if you were recording something really quiet, I guess you'd run mic-preamp-mic-in---amplifying the mic signal twice--but otherwise the preamp is for Line-in. And I find that with anything through a PA system,  a battery box is all I need for Line-in.

For just about everything amplified, I run mics (usually CA-14 omni)--BB--Line-in to the PCM-M10.  Volume is generally around 5-6. Your mics will probably have a different optimum volume level.

As noted above, neither a preamp or a battery box should make a recording bassy or color the sound appreciably in any way (unless they have a bass roll-off switch, which would lessen bass). The point is to amplify the mic signal to record it better--not to change it.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 10:26:14 PM by earmonger »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com