Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mic2496 Question on Sample Rate  (Read 2359 times)

Offline TenoRichards

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Resident Taper/Audiophile Wannabe
    • Tenor
Mic2496 Question on Sample Rate
« on: August 22, 2004, 02:06:36 PM »
Here's what I'm using:

HEB (dpa) 4060's>Mic2496>jb3

Made first tape this morning of wife singing in church. As I export into Audacity, I am having to set the sample rate at 88000. I'm realizing I have the toggle switches mis-understood, and think I have THAT figured out. But I thought I would share I am able to get 48 THRU 96 into the Jb3. Haven't noticed any missed samples (yet). Am I not understanding something or is this unique? I thought jb3 only went to 48. I remember reading that people were tricking it out to make it read 96. I guess I'm just concurring, that, unless I'm mistaken, that's what I inadvertantly did.

Please teach me if I'm stoopid on this. Got's me lots to learn.
Andrew
dpa 4060's>BBox>acm modded pmd671 or Edirol r-09
www.tenorrichards.com

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Jokell
Re: Mic2496 Question on Sample Rate
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2004, 04:24:32 PM »
Here's what I'm using:

Made first tape this morning of wife singing in church. As I export into Audacity, I am having to set the sample rate at 88000. I'm realizing I have the toggle switches mis-understood, and think I have THAT figured out. But I thought I would share I am able to get 48 THRU 96 into the Jb3. Haven't noticed any missed samples (yet). Am I not understanding something or is this unique? I thought jb3 only went to 48. I remember reading that people were tricking it out to make it read 96. I guess I'm just concurring, that, unless I'm mistaken, that's what I inadvertantly did.

Andrew

I was also under the same impression that it would only go to 48...  Anyone else know about this???
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2004, 04:34:05 PM »
From the JB3 Tapers FAQ in the Archival Info forum:

[040] I heard the NJB3 supports 24-bit recording, is this true?

Nope.  The NJB3 is strictly a 16-bit recording/playback device.  If fed a 24-bit digital signal, the NJB3 will still only record a 16-bit signal by simply truncating the last 8 bits.

[050] I also heard it supports 96 kHz sample rates, is this true?

People have attempted to feed NJB3s a 16-bit, 96 kHz sample rate signal.  The NJB3 records the incoming signal with 16-bit, 48 kHz file header (and the clock appears to run at double-time), but appears to actually store the 96 kHz data.  After transferring the recorded file back to a PC, simply changing the WAV file header from 48 kHz to 96 kHz will yield a playable 16-bit/96 kHz file.  However, this doesn't appear to work reliably as users report ticks, pops, diginoise on the resulting recordings.  So, the answer is: while the NJB3 can be "tricked" into storing the 96 kHz sample rate, it's not usable due to artifacts in the recording.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2004, 04:58:39 PM »
From the JB3 Tapers FAQ in the Archival Info forum:

[040] I heard the NJB3 supports 24-bit recording, is this true?

Nope.  The NJB3 is strictly a 16-bit recording/playback device.  If fed a 24-bit digital signal, the NJB3 will still only record a 16-bit signal by simply truncating the last 8 bits.

[050] I also heard it supports 96 kHz sample rates, is this true?

People have attempted to feed NJB3s a 16-bit, 96 kHz sample rate signal.  The NJB3 records the incoming signal with 16-bit, 48 kHz file header (and the clock appears to run at double-time), but appears to actually store the 96 kHz data.  After transferring the recorded file back to a PC, simply changing the WAV file header from 48 kHz to 96 kHz will yield a playable 16-bit/96 kHz file.  However, this doesn't appear to work reliably as users report ticks, pops, diginoise on the resulting recordings.  So, the answer is: while the NJB3 can be "tricked" into storing the 96 kHz sample rate, it's not usable due to artifacts in the recording.

D'oh!  Should've figured there would've been an archive post about that. +t Brian. ;D
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline TenoRichards

• Taperssection Regular
    • Tenor
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2004, 08:55:40 AM »
good job!
+T for the frst recordings success (?)

Success?? OMG, yes. I took an old plastic wrap around headphone headband and broke off the headphones. Then clipped 4060's to the (broken off) ends. Not nearly as 'set' as yours is, but I had to try this technique. I'll now have to  1.) get mic holders, and 2.) figure our some way to attach the mic holders to the plastic. I like the fit of the plastic wrap around headband so....

(Moke, you mentioned that really any small, loose spring would work for these mics right? Must get to hardware store.... But how to attach the dang things to plastic?! Heat them up, push them thru then bend end so they stay n place?)

Taped "The King of Love My Shepherd Is" of wife singing w/ organ.

But, then....I get home and play the recordings thru cheap computer speakers. OMGOMGOMG! Went to stereo speakers in living room and nearly WET myself. I coulda sworn I was sitting IN THE MIDDLE of the organ pipes. The bass! Holy Sheisse. I am unsure what caused my woody; either the sound of my wife's voice, or the simply the sound these things pick up. I just can't believe THIS small of a package (the recorder, idiot!) can pick up THAT kind of sound. (note to self: blow nose WELL before taping. I can hear myself breathing from time to time. Maybe I'll invest in nasal strips to keep air unimpeded and nose from 'whistling!')

Question: What is best level to maintain? Remember, I'm doing classical. When I ran thru Soundforge 7 (free download) the median was around -6 and peaking right at -0.1. I only clipped once on my first tape. (Stands up, takes bow). But should I keep it around -12 as the datheads suggest?

I cannot WAIT to use this rig on ME. They were purchased for me by a sponsor (who SAID the Medicii's were dead?) who's been after me for a while to make a demo, so now I can whilst on the road. I'm on the road 8 mos. outta the year. Next to Hamburg (Traviata) and Dresden (Butterfly) for a month. I'll be able to compile live performance tapes AND work on a demo in empty theaters w/ pianist if I choose.

Storage? Guys...where to PUT these files online? My yahoo 80 mb briefcase is WAY full w/ mp3's. It scares me to think what I'll have to buy to store .wavs online. Any suggestions?

Anway, I'm sold. This is an awesome little hobby.

dpa 4060s>mic2496>jb3
www.tenorrichards.com

Offline TenoRichards

• Taperssection Regular
    • Tenor
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2004, 02:56:24 PM »
Question,......
Where do you vocalists find that extra few dB that blows out recordings?
I recorded a soprano on saturday and sunday. I soundchecked her for -2dB max'd peaks, when she was really wailing away. Well, she reached down deep, and found that extra few dB yesterday. she brought me up to 0's, but fortunately the V3 held her together without distorting.
Amazing thing!!! the whole damn church is about to be blown off its foundation from the organ, and she steps up, and blows the organ away :o

sounds like a well produced voice if she's cutting thru the sheer volume of an organ. We call that full-tit singing. And there's nothing like having an audience or being in the situation where you know it counts to find something 'special.' Just as a runner can dig down, so can a singer. Same phenom. But basically, if a singer "excites" the right harmonics in a space one should not have a problem hearing them provided the composer knows what s/he's doing. (That, or the singer is just screaming and WILL be heard....but have a very short and inconsistent career.)

I sure wish I coulda afforded a V3. But the 2496 is good for now and stealthier.

Anyone gonna help me begin to figure out how to P2P? I downloaded BitTorrent today. Will have to investigate what excactly it is and how it applies to me getting performance tapes available for listeners. But maybe I need to step away from the computer for a while....My wife is complaining I'm getting hyper-focussed again. Oh well....can't shoot 'em.... ::)
www.tenorrichards.com

Offline dr.ph0b

• Local Crew
  • Taperssection Member
  • powpow!
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2004, 11:33:00 PM »
Here's what I'm using:

Andrew

we are still talkin 16bit tho right? 
sold :(  MK4v->KCY->Sonosax SX-M2/LS2->modSBM1->M1
m-s: mk8/mk4v

Offline TenoRichards

• Taperssection Regular
    • Tenor
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2004, 12:13:34 AM »
Here's what I'm using:

Andrew

we are still talkin 16bit tho right? 

heck if I know....I got lost a couple posts back when it was said I would have gotten digi noise and pops and clicks....when I didn't. Maybe I just don't understand, but when I loaded into Audacity I had to resample at the 'correct' sample at 88 or 96 to get the right speed.
www.tenorrichards.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com