Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Computer Recommendations  (Read 5623 times)

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Retired Taper
New Computer Recommendations
« on: September 23, 2004, 10:24:25 AM »
Did some looking and didn't find much related to computer recommendations.  I'm looking to get a new desktop system in the less than $1,000-1,200 range in the next couple of weeks.  Anybody got any recommendations on manufacturers/models?  I don't play many games, so the bulk of its use will be for music transfers & burning (DVD burner & firewire connections are a plus), internet, general home use, and some introductory digital photo work which the wife is trying to get into.  I am hoping to get a 17" LCD and a decent sound system as well.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: New Computer Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 10:33:00 AM »
id personally go with the new imac g5.

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2004, 10:46:54 AM »
yeah, if you're budget is up to $2000, definitely get the new iMac

the water's clean and innocent

Offline thoman8r

• Proud member of the reality-based community
  • Let's go Pens!
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2004, 10:49:34 AM »
Did some looking and didn't find much related to computer recommendations.  I'm looking to get a new desktop system in the less than $1,000-1,200 range in the next couple of weeks.  Anybody got any recommendations on manufacturers/models?  I don't play many games, so the bulk of its use will be for music transfers & burning (DVD burner & firewire connections are a plus), internet, general home use, and some introductory digital photo work which the wife is trying to get into.  I am hoping to get a 17" LCD and a decent sound system as well.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Dude, get a dell.

If you don't need to play games, you'll be able to get everything you want for well under $1200.
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

jpschust

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2004, 10:50:13 AM »
the low end new g5 imac is way cheaper than 2

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2004, 11:10:28 AM »
Even though Mac hardware is more expensive, it's worth it because it runs Mac's OS which means you don't have to deal with Microsoft nonsense.

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2004, 11:21:46 AM »
Let us know if you're set on a windoze-based or mac.

If you're going the windoze route, let us know if you're comfortable "opening the hood" on the pc or want everything pre-configured.

For those comfortable installing an os and opening the hood, I just picked up a dell poweredge server for $300 (after rebates) from dell through a deal I found on slickdeals.net (thanks to whoever posted this site).  It's a bare-bones setup (2.8ghz p4, 800mhz fsb w/ 512mb ram, 40gb harddrive, integrated network, soundcard, etc but no moniter, OS, etc), but is fast and quiet.   Throw in from other sources 200gb hdd (can be had for under $100), a nice lcd moniter ($300ish?), a 16x dual layer dvd burner ($80ish) and a decent set of computer speakers and you'd have a real nice pc for well under $1k.

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2004, 11:36:13 AM »
I am running a PC right now.  I haven't used a Mac in years!  My dad still swears by them.  The new G5 looks sweet!, but I am apprehensive due to the fact that I haven't used on in so long.  I guess I have concerns with trying to find software for my JB3 and music stuff that Mac supports.  I am sure it wouldn't be difficult, but just one more thing to occupy my time.

As for opening up myself, I wouldn't be against it, but it would be a trial and error experience.  The only experience I've had with this is installing an aftermarket cd burner about 4 years ago.  I know I could build one for cheap, but I don't want to spend a great amount of time trying to figure it out.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

Offline dnsacks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2004, 11:53:16 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe a jb3 will interface well with a mac. 

If you had no problem installing the cd burner 4 years ago, you'd have no problem adding the necessary parts to the dell I described -- adding a new burner is no different than before and adding a new hard drive is real easy too. (ditto with installing windoze xp corporate)  The one issue with the dell I described is that it comes without software.  Unless you have/can get the software you need, you might be better off buying a more "traditional" system that includes the necessary software and licenses.

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2004, 11:56:40 AM »
I don't have any of the software, so I would be buying everything.

Offline dnsacks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2004, 12:09:35 PM »
In that case, probably best to buy one more fully-configured.  If you go the PC route, I personally have had great luck with Dell. 

jpschust

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2004, 12:09:57 PM »
you are wrong, there are drivers out there now for the jb3 and mac

Offline dnsacks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2004, 12:22:08 PM »
cool -- I'd heard something about partial integration via itunes, but thought I'd also heard it wasn't fully functional.  Can you now transfer new material to and from a jb3 via a mac?  Using itunes or some other interface?

jpschust

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2004, 12:31:14 PM »
yep, look in the computer forum i believe- the drivers are in the jb3 yahoo group

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2004, 12:34:03 PM »
what audio management programs are you using for the Mac?  Is there a compatible soundforge/shntool/cdwave/flac type program?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com