Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: First recordings coming up  (Read 6238 times)

Offline snapple ryes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • ``release the hounds
Re: First recordings coming up
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2004, 02:25:56 PM »
which deftones date/loc are you taping, btw?
- The isolation of science from feeling, emotion, purpose, singular events, and historic identity, endeared it to more limited minds. But it is not, perhaps, an accident that most of the great spirits in science, from Kepler and Newton to Faraday and Einstein, kept alive in their thought the presence of God - not as a mode of explaining events, but as a reminder of why they're ultimately as unexplainable today as they were in their time.

http://www.angelfire.com/rock3/abandonshows/past_torrents.html

"been there done that" attitudes are for folks who are too cool to be happy.

Offline roskile

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2004, 10:16:03 PM »
binaural is a taping technique using omnis.  its where the mics are on the side of your head by your ear.  i have a pair of little stealth omnis like that and i must say, i hardly ever made a bad tape with them.

one suggestion, get a bottle of water or two before the show too.  especially if the venue allows smoking and especially if you smoke (my throat gets really dry at shows from all the smoke) ...and standing in one spot for 1-3 hours can take a lot out of you surprisingly...you'll enjoy the water about 45 minutes into the opening band.  don't drink too much tho, or else you're going to be in pain by the end of the show from your bladder.
I'm a short guy and I think I'm pretty much done growing unless I have one last growth spurt coming..

* roskile closes eyes and waits to see if anything happens (nope hehe)

I figured that having the mics by my ears would be the best way to get them the highest that I can without drawing attention to them. And as much as I think I'd get thirsty, I just wouldn't want to take that risk of having to really go to the restroom during the set. The standing there and thinking about it...ah, I wouldn't be able to last lol.

TFWO!  Awesome!  THat would rule.

I would also agree that if you can do non-stealth (comfortably) - then take up the offer.  The only thing I would worry about is trying to get the stand past the security.  I noticed that here in detroit the show is at a place that has notoriously stringent security- they would never allow you to bring in a stand, if they were even remotely unsure that the band was pro-taping.  If you get turned away with the stand, be sure to go to someone else in line when you are trying to get through security (if there is security).

But, I should qualify my above statement by saying that I am becoming more and more stealth-loving as time progresses, for a couple reasons:  You can get into a sweet spot much easier, and I like recordings that are more nearfield than FOB (in general) in a large auditorium/theatre/arena/etc.  and 2) You don't have to worry about drunk ass punk bitches knocking your stand over.  I get really annoyed by that, to the point where I am ready to ditch it almost completely.

+  again for gettin down and dirty.  And + to heath for suggesting the gatorade bottle.  If you pissed in gatorade bottle at a show, in the middle of a crowd, that would be +10,000 punk points.
Well I currently do not have a mic stand, but either way I was going to go stealth all the way. As you and others have mentioned however, if I can hang with the sound guy, it would be secure in that I wouldn't have to worry about being bumped by others. Only thing is this depends on if I can get the okay from him without my district manager not being there(she doesn't care for Skinny Puppy). So who knows if he'd be okay without her there. But if not that's okay as well, I'll just be careful being behind the mosh pit.

i witnessed a very good friend use the gatorade trick on the field for the Dead at RFK stadium.  People were shoulder to shoulder down there and he just grabbed the bottle and did his business...hysterical!

H
when ya gotta go ya gotta go  ;) ;D

Instead if you can get in good with the FOH guy see if you can get a soundboard patch, that would yeild better results than just setting your mics on the rail/shelf around it. To patch off the board you'll need different cables depending on the output check the archive for more specific info.
Patching into the soundboard is something I haven't looked into yet. I'll give this a read later, thanks.

tape dredg, the opener too.  they're awesome.
Yes tape dredg, I like them a hell of a lot more than the deftones
Up until now, I had never heard of them. I did some searching and they are highly rated everywhere I looked. Thanks for the head up on dredg, I think I will tape them. :)

which deftones date/loc are you taping, btw?
10/06/04,Club Xcape  ep, tx first time there :)

Once again, thanks for all the responses. These should be some memorable first moments. +T's to all who have helped.

Regards
« Last Edit: October 03, 2004, 10:17:40 PM by roskile »

Offline roskile

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2004, 10:50:50 PM »
A couple more quick questions:

I was practice recording with some of my own music playing off of my computer. I used the bass roll-off filter at 69Hz, 95Hz and 107Hz..the record volume knob was turned all the way up to 10 and my levels looked good but low, despite the volume on my pc being quite up there.

On playback through the unit, the volume seemed pretty low even though I increased the playback volume to max. I still have not gotten around to installing my new sound card so I was unable to transfer the playback to my computer. Does the dat deck normally play recordings low, or is this reflective of the actual recording?

Also, which is the recommended setting between 0 dB and 20 dB? According to SonicStudios.com, http://www.sonicstudios.com/d100page4.html :
VERY IMPORTANT TIP:
Consider the 20 dB ATT or (L) setting as the NORMAL microphone input setting for most all microphone signals with Sony brand recorders.  Only go to the boost mode setting of 0 dB or (L) when not having enough gain with a Level knob setting up full at #10 to reach a VU signal peak of  -12 dB below 0 dB VU.  Otherwise, you will clip distort or overload the microphone preamplifier if using the 'boosted gain setting' under any other conditions. 

This is consistently opposite to what is suggested in all the Sony user manuals that claim the 0 dB or (H) 'gain boosted' settings as the normal setting.  This has resulted in untold multitudes of their customers to make totally useless and distorted recordings even if using Sony brand microphones 'recommended' as ideal for these exact models

One last thing and I just noticed this for the first time while trying to charge the batteries..it would appear as though one battery is dead. Both are the Sony DAT Ni-MH Rechargeable batteries, NH-D100 1.2V 1300mAh. The charging lamp does not light up with one, while it does on the other battery. I have tried taking it out and placing it back in the charging tray, and I have switched them to the other side(hehe and I don't mean placing the - end where the + should be, just that I switched the top battery which was charging to the bottom where the other battery would not charge  ;) )..all no go. :(

I was reading more at the SonicStudios website and they recommended some that can be purchased at Radio Shack. I'll stop by tomorrow while on break at work. Glad I found this out with some time left, though I'm kinda upset with myself that I waited this long to charge them.

But as my friend say... Whadda ya gonna do?...Forget about it.  :)

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2004, 11:31:34 PM »
1.  the volume of your computer speakers is nowhere near the volume of a PA/stack in your local club unless you wear earplugs when listening to music on your comp.  from your comments the levels look pretty normal in your testing.  if you get levels that's a good thing.

2.  i usually leave the att on the DAT at 20dB as well.  it's usually loud enough. i don't exactly stand at the back of the venue either though.  i get very decent levels and am able to go over if i so wished.

3.  i used to use the batteries that came with the DAT, but after some thinking i got paranoid about rechargables and stopped using them.  i know pretty much exclusively use energizer photo lithiums.  they're expensive but you can put roughly 6 hours on 2 AAs.

Offline roskile

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2004, 11:48:22 PM »
Thanks for the reassurance regarding my volume levels. :)

If you don't mind me asking, why did you become paranoid with the rechargeable batteries?

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2004, 11:51:41 PM »
http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=24870.0

i use the Lenmar 2450mAH AA in my D100/M1. excellent investment, imho.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline roskile

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2004, 12:22:51 AM »
* roskile wants the Lenmar's

Those look very nice leegeddy.  :) It will have to be later though as I will need to pick up a new set locally tomorrow. Got the first show on Wednesday and I will be heading out to the venue directly after work. But on to the wish list with them.  ;D

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2004, 08:31:25 PM »
Thanks for the reassurance regarding my volume levels. :)

If you don't mind me asking, why did you become paranoid with the rechargeable batteries?

nothing really.  i just felt safer with batteries that i know will last me 6hrs.  though admittedly those rechargables are looking good now.   :D

Offline jbraveman

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2004, 03:49:14 PM »

Be careful with the sony rechargables unless they are new.  I bought a used M1 and found that the rechargables no longer held a charge.

The best way to find the sweet spot in a venue is to go to a show that you do not want to tape.  Walking around the floor will give you an idea about where the sound is the best.  Also you'll see where the security guards are etc.

I have found that the D100 remote is indespensible for stealth recording with the M1.  This allows you to check the levels without having to dig your deck out and turning on the light.  Also you can keep your hand still.  The remote can also be clipped to a wrist band so it looks like you're checking your watch!  You can then adjust the levels by simply putting your hand inside your jacket (bag etc).

Good luck  ;)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com