Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How to reduce the bass?  (Read 2012 times)

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • They're baaack! ??
How to reduce the bass?
« on: April 01, 2005, 01:42:58 PM »
Ok...I have several shows in this same place...and the bass is WAY overbearing.  I am going XY right now with my 393's
I am needing suggestions, tips, whatever to reduce the bass in my recordings.  Should I just go with the bass rolloff on my mics?  Is there something else I can do..a different configuration?

AKG 393's -> UA5(digi) -> JB3

about 25 ft back..slightly off center from stage...directly in front of the sbd. running about 7 ft high.
thnx
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline jhirte

• Trade Count: (0)
  • At ease atleast yeah.
Re: How to reduce the bass?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 01:48:06 PM »
X/Y will supposedly help reduce bass, but in my experience, not by much. If its REALLY overbearing, I'd say run the rolloff on the mics. To my knowledge the UA5 has no rolloff options ?

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 01:54:36 PM »
X/Y will supposedly help reduce bass, but in my experience, not by much. If its REALLY overbearing, I'd say run the rolloff on the mics. To my knowledge the UA5 has no rolloff options ?

none that i know of
thnx
Auditory
it's magic 

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 01:55:20 PM »
I wouldn't use the bass rolloff on the bluelines. It pretty much sounds like total shit, as does the -10db pad. I would just apply some rolloff in post production. :)

which venue down there is giving you problems?
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline BJ

• They're baaack! ??
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 02:04:07 PM »
I wouldn't use the bass rolloff on the bluelines. It pretty much sounds like total shit, as does the -10db pad. I would just apply some rolloff in post production. :)

this is exactly what i was afraid of   :-\  I am not to knowledgeable about post...suggestions?  wavelab is what I use...but dont know how to do rolloff with it.

which venue down there is giving you problems?

its a new venue out in lincoln..about 30 min from fayetteville, owned by the church there...they are trying everything they can to keep the youth entertained in the cleanest/safest way possible...so they bring in a few bands per week.  Nothing big..but I am happy to see a progressive church doing this....my friend is a member there...and wanted to start taping al these bands.  he has my equipment right now(i just had surgery, and am down for 2 months(IN  BED.. :o))  h ecalled to ask if i knew how to reduce the bass..i didnt know so I posted here....You about through with law school Tim?? one  my best friend graduates in may from tulsa....he is starting to stress a little!!
Auditory
it's magic 

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 02:18:57 PM »
Is it possible the bass isn't actually that bad on the recording and it's more of a playback issue, i.e. the playback gear can't handle the bass that is in the recording, so it sounds like mooseflop?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2005, 02:24:10 PM »
yeah I graduate in May.... job prospects are looking good so I'm stressing a lot less :)

it has been awhile since I played around in Wavelab so I can't tell you exactly how to do it in Wavelab but you need to find a way to rolloff below about 80hz... it's a lot of trial and error and just listening to what you're doing. Be conservative and rolloff gently... there's probably some sort of multiband EQ in the program and possibly even some preset rolloff's...

I'm hoping to make it back down there in August some time.... sorry to hear about your back! Feel better man...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline BJ

• They're baaack! ??
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2005, 02:25:22 PM »
well....as I have not heard the recordings made so far...I really can't comment, however, I can say that when he was first telling me about the place..he mentioned that the bass was awefull.  The ceilings are relatively low...and the bass just bounces off everything.  He has a decent stereo and says he has to turn his sub to the lowest setting just to listen to the recordings.  Take this for what it is worth...He is a drummer, and is more into bluegrass than anything(acoustic sounds)...the bands are more heavy/rock.  So judgement may be skewed...but as i mentioned before, I have not heard the recordings....he just called today and asked for suggestions.  I will say that I tend to believe him on his comments, so I take it that he is right....but I am a trusting person...which can get me into trouble!
Auditory
it's magic 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com