Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: proximity to the stage  (Read 2675 times)

Offline sweatboard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
proximity to the stage
« on: May 12, 2005, 01:10:49 PM »
I'm wondering about how close to the stage I can get and still make a good recording.  I'll be running, AT8533Rx's>ua-5>NJB3.  I know that most people like to stand near the soundboard but I really like getting up close, in what ways will the recording suffer?  What things would I need to tweek in order to get closer?  Thank You,

Brian

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: proximity to the stage
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 01:16:42 PM »
if you get too far forward you may be "in front of" the pa speakers and not picking up the vocals or other instruments not coming through stage amps (synths and other effects)

the sweet spot is generally a bit in front of the board. the general rule of thumb is to draw an equilateral triangle with you being the point and the distance between the speakers being the same as your distance from the speakers.... I like to get to that spot preshow and walk around that area until I find the sweet spot.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Tim

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005, 01:54:34 PM »
that's a good idea, I hadn't thought of that

good call moke

now I just need to run the damn thing :P
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline sweatboard

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2005, 02:00:08 PM »
Thanks Tim, that makes perfect sense, I didn't realize that the pa had extra sounds that don't come from the stage.  My next question is, when you patch into a soundboard you only get what comes through the pa, so why do I hear audience noise on some soundboard recordings.

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2005, 02:01:44 PM »
because the vocal microphones at the front of the stage are picking up the crowd as well.

Offline Tim

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2005, 02:02:37 PM »
because the audience is "bleeding through" the stage mics and/or the soundman has added an extra mic(s) on the stage or out at the soundboard setup specifically to capture the crowd reaction.

Offline sweatboard

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 02:03:18 PM »
ah-ha, Thanks.

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2005, 02:22:38 PM »
tim is a jedi...   :P

And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2005, 02:31:52 PM »

now I just need to run the damn thing :P

also, depending on the show, and depending on how stealthy you need to be(or not) you could get the front fills as your source(not ideal)
we all live downstream.

Offline Bdifr78

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2005, 12:10:33 AM »
if you get too far forward you may be "in front of" the pa speakers and not picking up the vocals or other instruments not coming through stage amps (synths and other effects)

the sweet spot is generally a bit in front of the board. the general rule of thumb is to draw an equilateral triangle with you being the point and the distance between the speakers being the same as your distance from the speakers.... I like to get to that spot preshow and walk around that area until I find the sweet spot.

Yeah I have always noticed this.  For Phish 7/29/03 in Burgetstwon PA, we got amazing 5th row dead center tickets through the lottery.  One of the sickest shows they played after the hiatus(some people think a top 20 show of all time), and I could hear almost no vocals whatsoever!  It was still a freaking amazing experience, but it sounded like crap at the time. 
Neumann KM140s>Bumblebee MIAGI-II XLRs>Lunatec V3>SD722

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com