Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: M-Audio MicoTrack Advice Sought  (Read 2929 times)

Offline MaggiesBrother

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
M-Audio MicoTrack Advice Sought
« on: February 05, 2006, 10:53:40 AM »
Hi All,

I'm planning to use my M-Audio MT soon for a stealth show and am looking for some advice from those with experience with this unit.  I have a few rig options as follows.  Which way would be better to go:

DPA 4021 > Core Sound Mic2496 > SPDIF > M-Audio MicoTrack

or

DPA 4021 > Denecke PS2A (powering unit) > analog 1/8" mini > M-Audio MicoTrack

or

DPA 4021 > Beyer MV-100 preamp > analog 1/8" mini > M-Audio MicoTrack

I also have specific questions about how the L-M-H switch should be set and whether (if I go analog) I should use Mic or Line-In.  I don't think I can use the 1/8" as a lin-in, can I?

Any/all advice is appreciated.

Mike

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
Re: M-Audio MicoTrack Advice Sought
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 12:05:29 PM »

Best SNR from teh Mic2496 from what I read. If the SPDIF on the MT is OK now this is the best setup.
But where is the power for the DPA's coming from?

Offline MaggiesBrother

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 12:20:42 PM »
The Beyer and the Core Sound have 48v phantom built-in and the Denecke PS2Ais strictly a phantom power supply if I go that route.  I do like the Core Sound and the Beyer is fine, too.

Mike

Offline MaggiesBrother

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
M-Audio MicroTrack Advice Sought
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 12:21:21 PM »
Hi All,

I'm planning to use my M-Audio MT soon for a stealth show and am looking for some advice from those with experience with this unit.  I have a few rig options as follows.  Which way would be better to go:

or

DPA 4021 > Denecke PS2A (powering unit) > analog 1/8" mini > M-Audio MicoTrack

or

DPA 4021 > Beyer MV-100 preamp > analog 1/8" mini > M-Audio MicoTrack

I also have specific questions about how the L-M-H switch should be set and whether (if I go analog) I should use Mic or Line-In.  I don't think I can use the 1/8" as a lin-in, can I?

Any/all advice is appreciated.

Mike

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 02:53:19 PM »
use the Mic2496.
the analog circuitry in the MicroTrack is not very good.  you'll get better results running S/PDIF into the MicroTrack

Offline IceMan

• i don't like you.you're dangerous
    • My Blog(s)
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 05:36:18 PM »
how is this unit as a whole?  I saw it advertised and think it looks pretty slick.  I currently have a D8 but if I ever needed to "update" or get something to keep taping with I might look in to it.  The issue I think I'd have is that you'd record to a flash card and then drop it down to CDR (Flac or whatever) and then re-use the Flash but you'd never really have a "master" any more. 

the price was about 499 on their site..just curious.  I am a stealth taper that uses CSB->roll offs.

thanks
When I die I won't own crap..but my kids will have a hell of a music collection to fight over.  http://toddiet123.blogspot.com/  Yes..Yes I can help you track Caspian shows.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 05:53:24 PM »

the price was about 499 on their site..just curious.  I am a stealth taper that uses CSB->roll offs.

thanks

I really like the unit, but some people have had trouble using it. I have found it reliable and easy to use once used to it. There is a lot of good info on this website regarding the unit.

Here it is priced at $359.00, much more reasonable:
http://www.guygraphics.com/CATEGORY-audio.html
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline anhisr

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 06:49:35 PM »
For what I use it for, A bit dump from my V3, it has been no problems.  If there is one thing I would like to see fixed, and they could, is the 2gb file size limit.  For now I have to record 24/48.
Audio: Neumann KM 100> 20, 30, 40, 43 or 50 > V3 > MT II (love that M/S)
Still Camera Body: Canon D5 Mark II
Canon Lenses:  16-35mm f2.8L II USM; 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM; 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM
Video Canon HF R30

archive  http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/anhisr

Offline IceMan

• i don't like you.you're dangerous
    • My Blog(s)
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006, 11:13:25 AM »
+T for the last 2 posters..thanks.
When I die I won't own crap..but my kids will have a hell of a music collection to fight over.  http://toddiet123.blogspot.com/  Yes..Yes I can help you track Caspian shows.

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2006, 11:45:34 AM »
if you're going to be running analog-in, i'd get one of the edirol r1's or the yet to be released r09 (or whatever the number is).  I believe they're around the same price and from what i heard, a lot more trust worthy.

the MT has so many odd ball problems, short battery life (easily fixed with a battery pack, but if you're stealthing, thats something extra to carry), the 1/8th in line in runs too hot, so you'll need an attenuator cable or a dongle to run into the 1/4" trs ins.  I've had the unit lock up on me in the field, reset itself to defaults in the field, corrupt files....and it still doesn't have a 2gb auto split feature.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline onebear

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2006, 05:22:03 PM »
I have had serious problems with Core Sounds Mic2496 together with a MicroTracker from M-Audio.
The channels where all messed up and the right channel much louder than the left. I sent the Mic2496 back to Core Sound/Len and after about 4-5 months I got it back saying that it was working 100%. They have the worst customer service ever and my advice is to avoid Core Sound if you can and believe me you can.
And you can find other people who had the same problem with Core Sound. Don't get me wrong their products are good but they don't do customer service.
Check this post: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=58275.msg769988#msg769988

I would get myself a non Core Sound product :)

MBHO 603A/KA-200N > Sound Devices MixPre > M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96 [SanDisk Ultra II 8 GB]
G5 > M-Audio Audiophile 192 > Behringer DEQ 2496 Ultracurve Pro  > Tapco (Mackie) S8
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://onebear.net

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com