Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Disc storage?  (Read 5804 times)

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • formerly OtherOneK
Disc storage?
« on: November 01, 2006, 12:38:16 AM »
Ok so here goes with the insane amount of discs I now have collected,archived and recorded. I am now having a storage dilemma .  I currently use 300 capacity binders, for about 6000 :o and growing discs.  It is a significant pain in the ass to go thorugh and keep things in order.  I am going to switch to using tyvek sleves.  But what are peole using to store large collections?  I want some type of drawer system, but the one I want is very expensive,

http://www.can-am.ca/cdvideo.htm

So what are others using???
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

dorrcoq

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Disc storage?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 01:34:57 AM »
Those are pretty nice, but you weren't kidding about expensive.  I'm just in the process of having some cardboard boxes made to hold and organize my discs.  I'm not sure how many they will hold (I have a mixture of jewel cases and envelopes), but they are 24" long.  Now I need to design and build some kind of racking system to hold the boxes, so that I can slide the boxes in and out like drawers. 

Either I need to move to a bigger house or take up a new hobby, I think! ;D

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 02:25:05 AM »
Those are pretty nice, but you weren't kidding about expensive.  I'm just in the process of having some cardboard boxes made to hold and organize my discs.  I'm not sure how many they will hold (I have a mixture of jewel cases and envelopes), but they are 24" long.  Now I need to design and build some kind of racking system to hold the boxes, so that I can slide the boxes in and out like drawers. 

Either I need to move to a bigger house or take up a new hobby, I think! ;D

I hear yah....  I have googled and come up with some solutions but with a collection this size and growing , the choices are all falling into the same price range. some are even more, if you can believe that.  I have a friend who is using the cardboard box method and he loves it.  He is getting his boxes from american digital.  Each box holds about 90 to 100 in sleves.  He has a collection of about 2000, so roughly 20 boxes or so.  I would need like 60 boxes plus. which then leeds me to where the hell am I going to put sixty boxes now.  I foregot I also have to deal with the wife factor..ah shit....
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 02:56:38 AM »
all audio disc are in books or on spindals. way too many books and spindals.  only use them for the car really. 

all flacs/shns are in sleeves and in the cheap plastic storage draws/filing cabinets  you get at target or wally world.  works well and at no more than $8-20 (each)  it's pretty  cheap.   all flacs and shns in the last year and a half to two years are on DVD.  it really helps cut down on the number of discs.  I've even started moving some stuff to DVD and then trading for blanks.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 02:59:39 AM by Gordon »
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 09:43:53 AM »
Black Box wine boxes are the perfect size for a stack of CDs or DVDs in paper sleeves.  Works best when guarded by Curious George.  I print my own sleeves, so everything is labeled and you can just flip through them like a recipe file.

How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 10:06:14 AM »
If you're sticking with physical media, I'm partial to the binder option.  Compact, easy storage (toss on a bookshelf), easy access, reasonably safe if kept out of the sun, etc.  No problem keeping things in order - simply use a spreadsheet to track disc location in the binder:  book, page, position.  No worries shuffling discs to maintain proper order, since the physical order doesn't matter.  When browsing for music to listen to next, simply scan the spreadsheet rather than flipping through masses of physical discs.

At least, that's what I'd do in your situation.  I've shifted to media-less listening, in part as a result of the challenges associated with the above model.  (Now I use the same model as above for archival discs only.)  It's awfully nice not dorking around with all the binders anytime I want to listen to something, now.  Instead, I just pull it up in Foobar, on my Squeezebox, or on my iAudio M-3 (which of course doesn't hold -all- my music, but I don't feel the need to carry every single recording around on the train, etc.).  I'm sooooo happy I stopped investing in audio storage solutions and made the switch to media-less listening.  Just a thought.  :)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 10:15:06 AM »
I own the Can-Am stuff and use it for all my studio discs.  I have 2 file cabinets on top of each other (4 drawers)...nice compact way to store that many discs, and the wife actually preferred it to all the shelfing I had before.  It is expensive, but it is nice, and I havent seen anything else that touches it for this function.

For burned discs, I use caselogic binders...

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 10:28:56 AM »
We used the Can-Am style cabinets when I managed a used record store for all or our used CDs in Case Logic sleeves. They are really stout and super nice. I also like the fact that they are lockable. They aren't cheap, but definitely the way to go. My only problem is that I'd need to start with about 3 of them to fit my CD collection.
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline J.Maye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Formerly Phan2001
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 10:35:10 AM »
I dumped most of my binders and went with the sleeve. Not as cheap as I had initially expected. :o I went out and bought a dresser that has 5 drawers. I measured a disc in the sleeve I was going to use, and then hit the 2nd hand furniture shops looking for dressers with the right sized drawers. I found one for ~$100. It holds all of my discs, +3,000 and there is room to grow.
AKG CK91/92/93/94>mk93/h98>se300b>BM2P+ua5>M10
Or
CA ST11 (C,O)>9100>M10
Busman T mod R4

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 11:44:32 AM »
I dumped most of my binders and went with the sleeve. Not as cheap as I had initially expected. :o I went out and bought a dresser that has 5 drawers. I measured a disc in the sleeve I was going to use, and then hit the 2nd hand furniture shops looking for dressers with the right sized drawers. I found one for ~$100. It holds all of my discs, +3,000 and there is room to grow.

good thinkin...I might have to try this, but I have the feeling the can am is the way I am headed...They are just so dam expensive.
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR

dorrcoq

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 12:04:43 PM »

That sounds like a pretty good solution +T

Offline svenkid

• Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 12:07:02 PM »
my apt is overflowing with caselogic binders and spindles. And don't ask for any specific show, besisdes recent ones collected or taped bc it takes days to find it. theyre not in any type of order except when I got them (ie, my fall 02 binder, etc.)
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.
rig: Neuman u89s > Lunatec V3 > MT(24)/JB3(16)
http://db.etree.org/svenkid

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2006, 01:03:02 PM »
If you're sticking with physical media, I'm partial to the binder option.  Compact, easy storage (toss on a bookshelf), easy access, reasonably safe if kept out of the sun, etc.  No problem keeping things in order - simply use a spreadsheet to track disc location in the binder:  book, page, position.  No worries shuffling discs to maintain proper order, since the physical order doesn't matter.  When browsing for music to listen to next, simply scan the spreadsheet rather than flipping through masses of physical discs.

The spreadsheet is key!  The downside is entering all the data if you have a pile of binders and are just starting....ugh!  Been there, done that.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2006, 02:30:55 PM »
almost all my cds are in spindles.  after a little while, i came to the realization that I don't really even listen to any of the discs that I've burnt, with the exception of my masters.  in a way my solution was to be more picky in what i d/l and burn. 

my new problem is finding storage for dats and mini dv masters.

those cabinets are pretty pimp tho.

Offline mikeincharleston

• Look At All These Short Hairy Men...I Feel Like I'm On The Forest Moon Of Endor
  • Too Cool For School!
    • Andolini's Pizza
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2006, 03:01:32 PM »
this topic has been posted on.  i'll see if i can find it.  i have found the best storage.  you can get it at wally-world for like >$20 and it hold a sh*tload of sleeves.  i actually just bought a second one.  each drawer holds 3 rows of sleeves and then some extra space that you can put a bunch perpendicular.  couldn't find it on the walmart site, but just find the aisle that has all that"tupperware" storage stuff and it should be there.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=34215.0

check out about 4 posts down, i posted a bunch of pics.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 03:12:03 PM by mikeinboone »
"I'm not bustin' out a boat oar sober" - Scott 9/21/07

My Trade List  

Upcoming Shows/Events!!!
Phish - N. Charleston Coliseum, Charleston, SC 10/16/10 (First Show In 7.5 Years & Show #33)
The Avett Brothers - S.C. State Fair, Columbia, SC 10/20/10
Dale Waton - Broken Spoke, Austin, TX 10/27/10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.134 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com