Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: how to convert 24bit to 16bit???  (Read 4814 times)

Offline svenkid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Take Time to Listen!
how to convert 24bit to 16bit???
« on: November 22, 2006, 03:01:37 AM »
TS-
Ive started to get into with the MT recording at 24bit, but also running the jb3 to get a 16bit.
I only have 24bit files of certain recent stuff. My questions are:

1. what program do I need to use to be able to convert from 24>16
2. How do I do this and still be able to keep the 24bit files too.

Thanks TS!
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.
rig: Neuman u89s > Lunatec V3 > MT(24)/JB3(16)
http://db.etree.org/svenkid

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
Re: how to convert 24bit to 16bit???
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 03:28:18 AM »
<1>  Freeware Audacity will do the trick.
<2>  Simply edit / export the 16-bit WAVs, and keep a copy of the original 24-bit WAVs

This Audacity Workflow post may help:  http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=71191.0
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline musicsherlock

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Team Upstate New York
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 08:35:11 AM »
I also like voxengo r8brain http://www.voxengo.com/product/r8brain/

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 05:49:20 PM »
what software do you have Carl?

lots of topics here on proper workflow - you want to do any editing 1st then resample and then dither as the final step
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline svenkid

• Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 06:36:30 PM »
what software do you have Carl?

lots of topics here on proper workflow - you want to do any editing 1st then resample and then dither as the final step

All I use is soundforge 4.5 for level boosting and fades. Im going to try to get my audacity up and running.
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 06:54:06 PM »

True, plenty of operation order workflow threads.  But each application has its own unique configuration and workflow.  One must first understand how the software performs under each configuration.  For example:  does the software perform internal calculations at 16-bit?  24-bit?  32bfp?  Is it selectable, or fixed?  If operating in 32bfp for internal calculations, does it automatically dither to 24-bit upon saving the WAV?  Or must one export the WAV to achieve dithering?  Or must one dither first, and then export?  And if one's performing multiple calculations over multiple sessions, does the user need to select 32bfp as the format for the saved, in-progress file, or will the application default to the proper bit-depth upon saving?  Only once the user understands the software-specific configurations and workflow may one then configure the software and use the proper workflow to achieve the desired result.

Two reasons I bring all this up:  <1> I did not find the Adobe Audition and Audacity software-specific configurations and workflows particularly intuitive, so I spent the time to understand them and document the info for others, and <2> I've seen plenty of examples of people not using their software correctly, and I have no doubt plenty of others have not spent the time to learn their software's configuration and workflow and therefore are not utilizing their software properly.

Hence, the Audacity workflow thread I pointed out.  There's a quasi-workflow thread for Cool Edit Pro / Audition as well.  I don't know of one posted for Wavelab or Soundforge or Samplitude (may get to the latter eventually).
Roland R-05

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 07:02:09 PM »
very true Brian - i sent carl a PM about soundforge since thats what I use - one of these days i could probably put together a more detailed work flow specific for Soundforge for the Archives here - just not much time to get into it now  ;D
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline svenkid

• Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 08:54:56 PM »
sweet! I used wavelabio 5.01 and it did the trick!

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 11:09:16 PM »
There's a quasi-workflow thread for Cool Edit Pro / Audition as well. 

Brian, would you post a link to the quasi-workflow for  Cool Edit Pro / Audition?  Thanks!
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2006, 11:20:37 PM »
Brian, would you post a link to the quasi-workflow for  Cool Edit Pro / Audition?  Thanks!

Here's the most relevant post, courtesy of David Klein who sorted it out long before I did and provided invaluable feedback:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=51323.msg667890#msg667890

There's still some useful information after that, but David's post covers the bulk of discussion.
Roland R-05

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2006, 01:56:46 PM »
What sample rate are you using? That's important b/c you need to resample to 44.1 first, then dither the 24-bit next, then truncate to 16-bit as your last step. SF is capable of doing this easily.

FWIW, I record in 24/44.1, do non-destructive editing in a 24-bit Vegas 6 project file, use the Waves L3 or IDR plugin as the last fx on my master bus with dithering set at 16-bit with noiseshaping engaged, and then just render out to a 16-bit file. Once you get it down in Vegas it's pretty easy (and I believe Vegas is running at 32-bit or higher floating point internally).
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 02:34:52 PM by BayTaynt3d »
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline rustoleum

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKG 481s->MiaGi IIs->MiniMe->MTII
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2006, 02:35:55 PM »
there should be no truncation required if the dithering was performed properly.

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2006, 02:50:16 PM »

That's not true. Truncation is literally how you get from 24-bit to 16-bit, it's just that if you dither the 24-bit first, then when you truncate to 16-bit, you get better results. You have to truncate to go from 24-bits to 16-bits, you have to throw away those extra bits by definition, and that's called truncating -- it's just that you can choose to dither or not dither before you perform the truncation. Now some software will dither and truncate in one operation, so you might not realize that is what is going on, but rest assured it is.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2006, 02:52:59 PM »

Depends on the internal workflow of the application used for processing.  In CEP/Audition, the user process is:

• dither from 32bfp to 16-bit - after dithering, the data is 16-bit, but it's still stored within a 32bfp file, the remaining 16-bits are just padded zeroes
  • truncate to 16-bit - this removes the padded zeroes
  • Save As 16-bit, this obviously saves the 16-bit data within a 16-bit file

Some applications perform the truncation in step 2 as part of the dithering or savings process and don't require the user to do it independently.  However, CEP/Audition does require the user to do it manually.
Roland R-05

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2006, 02:56:41 PM »
Ha! We answered the same thing within a minute of each other. LOL!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.115 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com