Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: suggestions for a beginner?  (Read 2050 times)

Offline subpop12

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
suggestions for a beginner?
« on: December 10, 2006, 08:18:04 PM »
Hello.

I've been thinking about starting to tape shows over the past 6 weeks or so.  I go to about 12 or so shows each year that either don't get taped or the tapes never get released.  I'm not trying to tape Pearl Jam or Wilco or other bands that are well-taped by much more expensive rigs than I envision myself owning, but I've seen bands like TV on the Radio, Broken Social Scene, and A Silver Mt. Zion the past couple months and would love to have taped the shows and shared the recordings with others.  Anyway, I'd like to tape "rock" shows at venues between 300 and about 2000 people.  Some concerts would be fine with taping out in the open, but most would probably need to be stealth. 

I've been reading and researching on this site and a few others about both the Edirol r-09 and the Zoom H4, and they seem like an ideal place for me to start.  I have $400 spend to get started and build from there.  I like the option of getting one of these recorders and being able to tape for a couple months with just the internal mics, then progressing to external mics, and maybe a preamp at some point?  I have an obsession with Core Sound Binaural microphones (for no real reason), so my goal would be to buy one either an r-09 or H4, then get a set of the CSBs later to extend my set-up.  Does this sound reasonable?  I'd love to get some input on which to get (maybe something completely different that I haven't considered yet), and is it reasonable to record with either of those machines with just a set of external mics and not a preamp?

Also, I can use my credit card points to get a Sony Memory Stick Pro Duo 2 or 4 gb card.  Does anyone know if they are compatible with the r-09 or H4? 

Thanks for this fantastic resource and any help you can offer me.
AJ

Offline beefstew

• Taperssection Member
Re: suggestions for a beginner?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 08:35:06 PM »
Hello.

I've been thinking about starting to tape shows over the past 6 weeks or so.  I go to about 12 or so shows each year that either don't get taped or the tapes never get released.  I'm not trying to tape Pearl Jam or Wilco or other bands that are well-taped by much more expensive rigs than I envision myself owning, but I've seen bands like TV on the Radio, Broken Social Scene, and A Silver Mt. Zion the past couple months and would love to have taped the shows and shared the recordings with others.  Anyway, I'd like to tape "rock" shows at venues between 300 and about 2000 people.  Some concerts would be fine with taping out in the open, but most would probably need to be stealth. 

I've been reading and researching on this site and a few others about both the Edirol r-09 and the Zoom H4, and they seem like an ideal place for me to start.  I have $400 spend to get started and build from there.  I like the option of getting one of these recorders and being able to tape for a couple months with just the internal mics, then progressing to external mics, and maybe a preamp at some point?  I have an obsession with Core Sound Binaural microphones (for no real reason), so my goal would be to buy one either an r-09 or H4, then get a set of the CSBs later to extend my set-up.  Does this sound reasonable?  I'd love to get some input on which to get (maybe something completely different that I haven't considered yet), and is it reasonable to record with either of those machines with just a set of external mics and not a preamp?

Also, I can use my credit card points to get a Sony Memory Stick Pro Duo 2 or 4 gb card.  Does anyone know if they are compatible with the r-09 or H4? 

Thanks for this fantastic resource and any help you can offer me.
AJ

If I were you - i would spend more on the mics than the recorder

buy some SP-CMC-4s or SP-CMC-8s and a battery box and for recorder - buy  either MD or Hi-MD until you get some more scratch, then get a better recorder
*Audio*
Mics:
SP-CMC-19
Panasonic WM61a

Recorders:
MZ-RH910 (Hi-MD)
Sony TC-WE435 (CASS)

*Video*
Canon ZR-500 [Mini DV]
54" Tripod

I spend most of my money on gambling, booze, and women. The rest i spend foolishly.

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • surly tapir
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 12:12:33 AM »
with a $400 budget for a stealth set up you could do pretty good.

iriver 120 = $ 150 ish on the secondary market
pair of AT853 = $ 200 ish on the secondary market
2 or 3 wire battery box = $ 50 ish on the secondary market

that will definately get you started.  obviously a preamp would be ideal as an upgrade, but that can be saved up for after you get hooked and want to spend money on this hobby instead of <insert anything here>.

open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline Liquid Drum

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 05:47:00 AM »
If you're taping rock shows, try checking out Chris's 'Church Audio' Cardioids.

I have a pair of these and they are fantastic (see my thread in mics forum and check samples), I'll be using them again this week for 2 rock/metal gigs I'm stealthing, I could let you know how I get on with those also.

If possible, get a battery box (will enhance your recordings so much) and I'd go for either Hi-MD or Iriver for now.
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Video: Canon HV20 E

Offline subpop12

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 02:20:49 PM »
Thanks for the info...sounds like the iRiver might be a better option. 
I found this while looking around for Church Audio:

http://cgi.ebay.com/STEREO-MICROPHONE-PREAMP-4-MINIDISC-MD-EDIROL-MP3_W0QQitemZ260060113823QQihZ016QQcategoryZ3281QQcmdZViewItem

Would that work with an iRiver player?

set-up like this:

CA mics -> CA preamp -> iriver h120

Seems like I could make that fit my bugdet...opinions?  Would that be a set-up to start with at least?

Does anyone have input on using the iRiver with a Macintosh?  I've seen the program that (helps) make them compatible, but does anyone use it with success?  I could search for this too, I guess.

Thanks again.
AJ

Offline willyjbrown

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 03:11:25 PM »
I started taping in July, and I had the same ideas as you: mainly stealth taping, small to medium sized venues, rock music, and about the same budget.

Thanks to the advice of everyone here, I ended up getting an iRiver h120 new off of eBay for about $120. After that I went to www.soundprofessionals.com and ordered myself the SP-CMC-2 mics (AT831's) and the SP-SPSB-8 battery box with bass roll-off.

My rig has performed like a champ for me. I've done mainly stealthing, but also some open taping for local bands (including my own). I've also done some personal recording too. I definitely can't say enough about this rig for the price and quality. Since I was in your position a few months ago, feel free to ask me any questions by PM if you'd like.

dorrcoq

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 03:39:12 PM »
I bought mics and a battery box from Sound Professionals, and mics and a preamp from Chris Church.  I'm happy with both purchases, and the service from both companies.  Be sure to mention you are a member here, because they both offer a TS discount. ;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com