Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Optical>2 channel XLR???  (Read 2318 times)

Offline mikesalvo

• Trade Count: (51)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • get your Avett on!!!
Optical>2 channel XLR???
« on: February 28, 2007, 02:30:25 PM »
hellooooo
question....

I have a Denecke AD20 (currently up for sale or trade in the Yard Sale forum). I was going to sell it because I am now using the Zoom H4, and it doesnt support an otical connection. Is there a atable, low noise, way of coonverting my optical signal to a 2 channel XLR??? Or should I just be looking to get a different pre. Any help  would be much appreciated.
AKG se300b (ck/91, ck/93) > Busman T-Mod R-4

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • LMA
Re: Optical>2 channel XLR???
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 02:39:16 PM »
you're looking for a battery powered D>A converter with optical in and balanced XLR outs?

don't bother - sell the AD20 and get a new pre.  Sound Devices MP-2?
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline cgrooves

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Get On the Bus -Busman Audio
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 03:29:02 PM »
Can you send a digital signal to that recorder via the 1/4" or xlr inputs?  The only digital signals I have experience with were sent to the recorder via optical or coax inputs.  Looking at the H4, I would have assumed it was analog in only.  If so, I don't understand why you would want to go A>D to D>A to analog in on the H4.
AUDIO:
Open:  Busman Audio BSC1-(K1/K2/K3/K4) > Fostex FR-2LE (Busman T Mod) 

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

Offline mikesalvo

• Trade Count: (51)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • get your Avett on!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 04:27:41 PM »
ha ha, ya I didnt think it made sense to do that. I am a half-newbie, still getting my shit down here.
soooo. I have 2 analog XLR ins, whats my best bet for a nice, low budget pre? nAnyone have anything they want to sell?
AKG se300b (ck/91, ck/93) > Busman T-Mod R-4

Offline cgrooves

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 06:02:28 PM »
I briefly looked at the users manual, and upon first glance it does not look like you can bypass the built in pre.  If you use the xlr / 1/4"  inputs you still have to adjust the input gain to low, medium or high and then dial in the levels with the input sensitivity recording level adjustment (from 0 to 127).  Unless I'm wrong, all of the input gain settings would use the internal pre.  You can turn the phantom power on or off, but it does not look like you can set the input gain to 'off'.  I would do a search and see if there are any posts discussing the H4.  Based on my limited knowledge and quick review, it looks like you may have to use the H4's pre & AD.  You would probably get a big increase in recording time if you had the phantom power 'off', and used an external phantom power source for your mics.  I may be wrong, so don't take my word as the gospel  ;)
AUDIO:

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 10:21:57 PM »
If the zoom is going to be your long term recording device, I would run the mic in/xlr with the phantom/pre/a>d of the zoom until you get a pre to run a "line in" signal to the zoom. 
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Roving Sign

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 10:42:19 PM »
If the zoom is going to be your long term recording device, I would run the mic in/xlr with the phantom/pre/a>d of the zoom until you get a pre to run a "line in" signal to the zoom. 

What he said ^^^

- you can use an outboard preamp - but you have to make an analog connection...you will be using the H4's A/D converter...

There is likely a default "unity" setting on the H4 - set it there and drive it with your preamp...

You can still use the AD20 ahead of the H4 if you prefer its electronics or controls...

Offline cgrooves

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 10:35:16 AM »
You can still use the AD20 ahead of the H4 if you prefer its electronics or controls...

How is this possible if the AD20 outputs a digital signal via coax & optical and the recorder will only take an analog signal?  Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to increase my knowledge.
AUDIO:

VISUAL:

Roving Sign

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 10:37:08 AM »

How is this possible if the AD20 outputs a digital signal via coax & optical and the recorder will only take an analog signal?  Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to increase my knowledge.

My bad - I forgot there was no analog outs on the AD20...this was cleared up in PMs with the original poster...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com