Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SBD Recording... Basic Advice For a First Timer  (Read 2324 times)

Offline breathmint

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
SBD Recording... Basic Advice For a First Timer
« on: March 14, 2007, 11:36:26 AM »
y0,

In a few weeks I will be doing my first SBD recording, of Montreal @ The Social, Orlando, Fl. Up until now, I've only used mics (CSB) into my JB3, and I was wondering if anyone with some experience had some basic tips or points of reference for my recording. I will be working with the sound guy for the band, so I'm sure he will be mostly involved in the setup, but please feel free to make any comments / suggestions you feel might be useful !!

Thanks,
breathmint

Offline dunebug81

• Needs to get out more...
Re: SBD Recording... Basic Advice For a First Timer
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 11:59:13 AM »
you will for sure need to mix in your mics as well for taping at the social.  i highly doubt if the bass / guitars / half of the drum kit will be mic'd.  ive been to a few shows there and that was my experience with the set up there.  if you have never been there a good spot for taping is the stairs between the bar the the floor.  its dead nuts center the sound is pretty decent.  the soundboard however, is way off to the side to the right of the door as you come in tucked away in the corner next to the bar.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/
aim: dunebug81

Offline breathmint

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 10:05:30 AM »
oops, i meant Firestone, not the Social. as per mixing mics, i saw OM last year @ social and everything was Mic'd... im pretty sure it shall be the same for this show @ Firestone. if i were to think about mixing whats an easy/inexpensive way to do that?

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 10:56:30 AM »
Where is the Firestone?  Is the the club in Longwood? 

I saw both Papa Roach and The Fire Theft there a few years ago and the kick drum and bass were not mic'd.  I suppose its show dependent.

As for mixing you could either do 2 recorders or a multitrack recorder.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/

Offline cyfan

• Taperssection Member
  • It's not personal
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 01:12:01 PM »
If you are working with the band's soundguy, he may be willing to mic everything for you.
Not being familiar with the board at that club since its more than 1000 miles away from me, the big issue will be whether you just get a tapeout or can get some type of separate mix for your recording (a matrix out). If it's just the tapeouts, being exactly what runs through the PA, your recording probably will be way too heavy on the vocals and drums. If the soundguy can feed you a "mixed" signal that is balanced you'll be better off.

Assuming you are comfortable with the soundboard signal, you'll need to make sure you have proper cables to connect. Most common would be L/R RCA to stereo mini or 1/4" L/R to stereo mini. Sometimes you'll need XLR cables.

Finally, unless the soundguy is willing and able to adjust the output for you, you may need some level of attenuation for a hot signal that will cause clipping.

Tim
Superlux HK8 > Edirol UA-5 > JB3
Multi-tracker: Fostex VF 160 EX

Offline breathmint

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 07:43:56 AM »
Thanks guys!

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 09:16:21 AM »
No problem and good luck!
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/

Offline breathmint

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 09:01:44 AM »
just hear back from band, that everything will indeed be mic'd, and they dont know about what mix yet, because they have never seen what board this club is using. they said just to show up for soundcheck and well hamme rout all the details. i feel well armed with all of your advices, so thanks again... if anyone is interested in a copy, ill be posting it at etee and DAD within a day or two after show... you can PM me for URLs if you need...

mint

Offline cyfan

• Taperssection Member
  • It's not personal
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 02:24:07 PM »
You should be OK if the band is cooperative and the FOH guy helps.
If you are stuck with only a tape out option, make sure to bring headphones to get a listen during the soundcheck. If you can't hear a guitar, bass or the mix otherwise sounds off the option would be to get that particular amp turned DOWN on the stage so more is going through the PA. The other option -- my favorite -- is just to get the FOH guy to turn the whole mix up insanely LOUD!!

Good luck.

Tim
Superlux HK8 > Edirol UA-5 > JB3
Multi-tracker: Fostex VF 160 EX

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com