Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Multi tracking and clock source...?  (Read 1727 times)

Offline taper420

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Multi tracking and clock source...?
« on: December 13, 2007, 09:11:07 AM »
So I'm doing some multi-track studio work right now with my band.... my guitar effect box has a spidf out on it.... I've recorded multi-track live before and I have to slave the clock to this spidf source (I'm using audiodesk/motu interface).

So lets say I lay down a drum track using the internal (motu) clock. Then I lay down the guitar track with the spidf out. What's the procedure here to stay in sync?

1. Record drums on internal clock, record guitar with spidf clock, record rest of tracks with internal clock (it'll all work out anyway?)
2. Record drums on internal clock, record guitar with spidf out but still choose motu internal as clock (will this work?), record rest of tracks with internal clock
3. Record everything with the spidf clock which will have to stay plugged in even when not recording the guitar
4. Only mic the cab and don't worry about having the clean, crisp spidf signal to mix in.

Offline cleantone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Multi tracking and clock source...?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 09:19:18 AM »
Does your effects box have another analog output? If not do you have a d/i box? I would mic the cabinet but probably also take the direct feed. I think you can take the sp/dif input while still clocked to the MOTU clock. Have you tried that?
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline taper420

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 10:18:31 AM »
I know it's possible to run the spidf signal into the motu and use the internal clock, but for some reason I think I tried this before, and you get this weird ticking that gets louder at certain spots (if I'm remembering correctly... it could have been something totally different too). The manual also states that when using a spidf source you should slave to it (but says nothing about recording tracks on top of it with a different clock).

I actually could use the other analog out on the effects box.... not a bad idea... probably wouldn't be much different (sounding) than the digital feed.

I'm just kinda trying to figure this out for knowledge purposes... I've already know the analog route would be easiest, I'm just seeing if the digital route is even possible.

Well I'll be able to test it out earlier than I thought... I work at a school and they just called a half day. To quote the popular venacular of the day: W00T!

Offline cleantone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 10:41:42 AM »
Yeah those ticks would be from a clock issue. You could try slaving to the sp/dif input and see if the ticks go away. If it were me I would go analog out AND a microphone on the cabinet.
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Roving Sign

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 10:45:41 AM »
Yeah those ticks would be from a clock issue. You could try slaving to the sp/dif input and see if the ticks go away. If it were me I would go analog out AND a microphone on the cabinet.

I've had better luck with SPDIF as my clock - when I tried the BNC approach, I got clicks as well...nolt sure why.

stirinthesauce

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 11:03:55 AM »
the ticking is definitly lack of proper clock synch.  I have had that before.  Most unpleasant.  Really nice to have a deadicated clock.  Big Ben, Nanosynch, etc.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com