Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Newbie questions about Nomad Jukebox 3  (Read 3295 times)

Offline sogr8ful

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • So many roads to ease my soul...
Newbie questions about Nomad Jukebox 3
« on: November 25, 2003, 09:11:18 AM »
Hey...

I'm looking into getting one - I would mainly be using it for patching as I am new to taping (I would eventually get my own mics, preamp, etc.)  OK, so here are what are sure to be newbiesque questions about the NJB3:

+ Will the quality of my computer's soundcard effect the music when I transfer from JB3 to my harddrive?

+ I would be patching (to start with), do you know what cables I would need to patch into a DAT?

+ What kind of batteries does it use?  Are they regargeable?  How long will the batteries last (whole show, set, etc.)?  

+ Is audio quality lossless from DAT > JB3?  JB3 > hardrive?

+ Any other accessories I might need or want?

+ Any other info I might find helpful?

Thanks in advance for any response.

Offline jb3newbie

• Taperssection Regular
  • Oktava MK012 > (soon to be) W-Mod UA-5 > JB3
Re:Newbie questions about Nomad Jukebox 3
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2003, 11:01:50 AM »
Im pretty much a newbie too but I can answer a few of your questions.

+ What kind of batteries does it use?  Are they regargeable?  How long will the batteries last (whole show, set, etc.)?  

It uses a proprietary(sp) battery.  I it can run for 3 hrs off of one...you can buy another for around 30 bucks and then it can run about 6 hrs fully charged.  They are rechargable just use the wall adaptor that comes with the JB3.  

Well I could only answer one.  But dont worry there are tons of people here that can help...also do a little searching throughout this site tons of resources.  
Ubber is a cool sounding word

localtaper@taperssection.com

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2003, 11:19:56 AM »
Here you are:

+ Will the quality of my computer's soundcard effect the music when I transfer from JB3 to my harddrive?

No, straight USB/Firewire connection not requiring soundcard.

+ I would be patching (to start with), do you know what cables I would need to patch into a DAT?

Buy a Midman CO2 and a Toslink>1/8" Optical cable to patch from DAT.  JB3 only has 1/8" Optical Digital Input (as well as analog), so buy equipment with this in mind.  You'll find most buy the Edirol UA5.

It comes with rechargable.  Buy a second ASAP.  2.5 hours with 1, 5 with 2 batteries at full charge.

Absolutely lossless, unless you record in MP3 format.

Second battery, carrying case.

Read through the MB, there are a tons of folks here with JB3s.  Read before asking, you'll learn a lot more faster.  

Also, subscribe to NJB3tapers@yahoogroups.com.

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2003, 11:26:45 AM »
Hey...

I'm looking into getting one - I would mainly be using it for patching as I am new to taping (I would eventually get my own mics, preamp, etc.)  OK, so here are what are sure to be newbiesque questions about the NJB3:

Thanks in advance for any response.

Here are some more answers:

1) The soundcard will not affect it, unless you are doing a  'dub' from the Nomad to the PC - hopefully you will be using USB of Firewire.  If this is the case, soundcard is bypassed, and will only affect playback.  If you are possibilities to list.  If you are patching from a digital source, you will need not using the USB/Firewire connection, you are losing one of the main features of the NJB3... which is the transfer to the computer.

2) Depends what you are patching from... and there are way too many an optical cable w/ one end being a mini-plug;  Other digital sources may require a coax cable, in which you will need a coax -> optical converter (C02, I think...???).  If you are patching from analog, you should probably get an rca-> 1/8" plug, and a 1/8" to 1/8" cord, and a 1/4" to 1/8" cord...

3)  I have never used a dat, so I could be wrong here, but the only way you will lose is if 1) you don't do a digital transfer (do an analog transfer)or 2) if the dat records at a higher bit rate/sample rate than the NJB3.    The NJB3 can record at 96khz (some have reported recently), but is 16 bit.  If the dat records higher than this, you might lose some...  you will have to resample down in order to get it on there without digital noise...

4) Get firewire accessories for your computer - I might be incorrect about these stats, but I think USB 1.0 transfers at about 12K per second, whereas the firewire transfers at about 400K per second... drastically faster.  I picked up firewire/USB 2.0 card on ebay for $20.
Worth the money!

5) Other info: personal opinion is that the NJB3 rox hard.  I love it.

HTH, and peace-

Andrew

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline macroint

• Jeff's List
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2004, 10:10:28 AM »
Here you are:

Buy a Midman CO2 and a Toslink>1/8" Optical cable to patch from DAT.  JB3 only has 1/8" Optical Digital Input (as well as analog), so buy equipment with this in mind.  You'll find most buy the Edirol UA5.

While the above question/answer are in reference to patching a NJB3 to the DAT (source)...is it the same equipment if patching a DAT to a NJB3 (source)? I went to DSO the other night and two DAT tapers wanted to patch into my NJB3, but none of us, it seemed, had the right cables. I'd like to have the cables on hand in case this situation arises again....

jeff
Peluso CEMC6>PS-2>AD-20>NJB3

SUPPORT LOCAL MUSIC
http://baltimore-taper.blogspot.com

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Real men wear kilts.
Re: Newbie questions about Nomad Jukebox 3
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2004, 10:20:54 AM »
You'd really want to patch out of the DAT. JB3 not having any digi outs, unless they really wanted an analog feed, which is all fine and dandy. In that case you will need a stereo mini coming out of the JB3, then various plugs on the other end to go into dat (RCA, stereo mini, xlr, etc etc etc.)
"The guy who's been dissed, dismissed and demoted so often that he should have officially changed his first name to "Backup." "

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2004, 10:25:32 AM »
yeah, its hard to give a patch from nomad, thats the downfall.  if you have ua-5 they can run right out of the coax on that.

if another person has a nomad, you can do a transfer over firewire after the show and transfer the file over that...but only afterwards, not during.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2004, 10:26:51 AM »
Though it seems people have addressed most of your current questions, check out the JB3 Taper's FAQ and Operating FAQ in the Archival Info forum, as I'm sure you'll have additional questions (we *all* did at one time).  :)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline SkaGuitarOAR

• Taperssection Regular
  • RvB '04
    • DRHSu
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2004, 11:15:02 AM »
Though it seems people have addressed most of your current questions, check out the JB3 Taper's FAQ and Operating FAQ in the Archival Info forum, as I'm sure you'll have additional questions (we *all* did at one time).  :)
Was just going to say that considering thats all I ever get with my questions haha.

Just look in the Archival Info.  Almost everything is there.  Plus thats where I found out everything I need to know, and I'm a newbie too.  Great place to answer most questions you have.  Plus most of the time the answer you get to your posts is to look there.

Offline Tony B

• Needs more sun.
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts.
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2004, 12:08:09 PM »

Dunno about the CO2, but I do know that folks on the JB3 Yahoo group have warned of "pops" and such when converting a signal using it. I'd just get a nice coax digi cable, a Hosa box and a nice optical cable. I guess the important thing is that the input on the JB3 is 1/8".

Go JB3. There really is no substitute, provided you're not fixated on the fact that it only records in 16 bit.
Coffee is for Closers

MG m200>AM Hyperconducters>V3>JayBeeThree/h120

Offline rjl

• Taperssection Newbie
  • blah.
    • rjl
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2005, 09:02:50 PM »
I figure I'd add my JB3 newb question here (as I imagine it's a simple answer) instead of starting a new thread, so here goes:

Do I need to specify WAV @ 48 (or 44 or anything else...) every time I record? I've been messing around with my JB3 and love it so far, and the ability to save that setting would make me love it all the more. If not, I'm still more than happy with it.

Any help/insight appreciated...

Thanks.

Offline Crumbo

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2005, 09:18:40 PM »
I figure I'd add my JB3 newb question here (as I imagine it's a simple answer) instead of starting a new thread, so here goes:

Do I need to specify WAV @ 48 (or 44 or anything else...) every time I record? I've been messing around with my JB3 and love it so far, and the ability to save that setting would make me love it all the more. If not, I'm still more than happy with it.

Any help/insight appreciated...

Thanks.

yep....you need to specify each time to WAV

it always defaults back to mp3

:)
Mics: AKG ck63
Cables: nBob actives
Preamp: nbox platinum II
Recorders:  Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R-05

Offline rjl

• Taperssection Newbie
  • blah.
    • rjl
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2005, 09:22:19 PM »
I was afraid of that. Oh well, small price to pay for so many other plusses...

Thanks!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.103 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com