Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: So I got a Microtrack II, what now?  (Read 5383 times)

Offline beatthediese

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
So I got a Microtrack II, what now?
« on: December 18, 2008, 11:50:07 AM »
I'm very new to this but I feel like I should be able to catch on rather easily, I guess I'm just searching for some more detailed responses. I'm familiar with recording as I have an M-Audio Mobile Pre USB that I do home demos with all the time. Here's what I'm doing exactly: On January 16th my band is doing a local show and a buddy of mine is going to film with a few HD cams, so I'd like to get some better audio that he can mix in with it. Going soundboard is not really an option. So, I have an M-Audio Microtrack II and was curious as to what else you guys would recommend. I'm on a budget of about $300 as far as the mics/battery box/pres etc.

How does it all work together? The Mics go to the battery box which goes to the Microtrack. I get that, but what are all of the connections? How does the SPDIF work, I know nothing about that. I've seen talk of Church Audio mics, is their a site that I can purchase from other than their ebay store? Which will suit me better the CSB set for $260 or a set of Church Audio stuff? We're a louder band in the van of Mudhoney and Pavement.

Thanks a ton to everybody that answers!

-Adam

Offline J.Maye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Formerly Phan2001
Re: So I got a Microtrack II, what now?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 11:55:39 AM »
A church audio set of mice/pre and a cable from pre>MT is all you need and will sound better then the CSB's. You can email chris, he is a member here. Check out the retail section for more details.
AKG CK91/92/93/94>mk93/h98>se300b>BM2P+ua5>M10
Or
CA ST11 (C,O)>9100>M10
Busman T mod R4

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
    • My LMA collection
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 11:59:59 AM »
Hey Adam-

FIrst off, welcome.  You've found a great resource of helpful folks who share the same hobby you're getting into.  I can help with a few of your questions; first off the SPDIF is a digital connection that you wouldn't use unless you had a digital source, like a UA5 (which is a pre-amp and A/D converter.) You wouldn't need to mess with that at this point.  

As far as your mics and BB go, I'd PM Chris Church.  He is a regular on this board and from what I have seen provides great support and many around these parts love his mics/pres.  Also, if you haven't already, check out the Yard Sale. Often time you can find the gear you want used.  Buying used gear is a great value, b/c you can get better gear at a cheaper price.  Also, the retail board has a lot of info on Church Audio products.  

Good luck!
Jesse
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 12:22:07 PM »
you want to get this package
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,90474.0.html

It will come with two capsules (cardiod & omni) and battery box. The battery box will power the mics and usually has a 1/8 (mini plug) out put. So you would need a male1/8 to male1/8 cable to run from the battery box to your MTII. In the menu you can select record setting. You want to make sure that your input is set to 1/8. Good luck.

dorrcoq

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 03:40:59 PM »
you want to get this package
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,90474.0.html

It will come with two capsules (cardiod & omni) and battery box. The battery box will power the mics and usually has a 1/8 (mini plug) out put. So you would need a male1/8 to male1/8 cable to run from the battery box to your MTII. In the menu you can select record setting. You want to make sure that your input is set to 1/8. Good luck.

Actually that package has a preamp, not a battery box. :)

Offline rsimms3

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 04:09:12 PM »
He has a gig in about 3 weeks, no way Chris can fill an order in that time with the holidays and such.  His stuff is good, but to come in under your deadline you'll have to look elsewhere. 

Check with this seller and see if his AT853s and Sound Professionals 3 Wire Pre are still available.  The AT853s don't list caps, I would assume they would come with them, but he lists a set of Card Caps separate.  Those would come in under your budget.

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,112794.0.html
FOR SALE - Check HERE

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 04:14:27 PM »
Adam,

Where to you live?  Perhaps one of us lives in the area, and help you out for that particular evening?
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline rsimms3

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 04:19:59 PM »
Adam,

Where to you live?  Perhaps one of us lives in the area, and help you out for that particular evening?

Ooo, now that's a good idea.
FOR SALE - Check HERE

Offline beatthediese

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 04:52:46 PM »
Man guys, thanks for all of the fast responses! I live about 45 min North East of Dallas, Tx in a town called Greenville, and that is where the show will take place.

That sucks that the turn around time isn't fast enough because after all of the reading that sounds like what I'd want to go with!

So do I need pres or a battery box, I'm a little confused with that now. Is the battery box just supplying the phantom power because the M II won't?

Thanks again!

Offline beatthediese

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 05:10:28 PM »
And i'm not sure if I'm just a complete idiot or what but I've tried PMing Chris and every time it takes me right back and tells me I need to enter in the letters in the boxes and each time I do and it still will not send.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 05:12:39 PM »
And i'm not sure if I'm just a complete idiot or what but I've tried PMing Chris and every time it takes me right back and tells me I need to enter in the letters in the boxes and each time I do and it still will not send.

This is probably due to the fact that you have less than 50 posts to your name.

Email him:      cchurch32@cogeco.ca

http://taperssection.com/index.php?action=profile;u=14500
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 05:13:41 PM »
I've tried PMing Chris and every time it takes me right back and tells me I need to enter in the letters in the boxes and each time I do and it still will not send.

PM sent, should be sorted, now.  :)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline beatthediese

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 05:21:57 PM »
cool, thank you.

so if I were to get that 9100 package that comes with the pres and the mics, do I still need a battery box on top of that or will the pres take care of that issue?

also, let me ask you guys this. the room I will be recording in is a pretty loud room. old wooden floors and pretty open so the sound will probably be bouncing all over the place. should i use cards or omnis? provided I actually find a pair before then!

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 05:26:39 PM »
The preamp will power the mics, no need for a separate battery box.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline J.Maye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Formerly Phan2001
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 05:27:35 PM »
the pre removes the need for a battery box. All you'll need is a 9v battery and a cable from the 9100>MT.

When in doubt, the cards are usually a pretty solid choice.
AKG CK91/92/93/94>mk93/h98>se300b>BM2P+ua5>M10
Or
CA ST11 (C,O)>9100>M10
Busman T mod R4

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.135 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com