Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SP-CMC-2 question  (Read 2189 times)

Offline bigu2fan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
SP-CMC-2 question
« on: March 22, 2009, 10:47:18 AM »
I am brand new to taping and have a question. I have done a bit of homework, and was wondering if you guys could help. I have a Tascam DR-07 on the way and am trying to finalize mic selection. I plan to use these with the Croakies mount. I am leaning toward the SP-CMC-2 with the SP-SPSB-8 battery box. I plan to use this strictly to record loud rock shows in front of the soundboard or closer. Should I get the "high sensitivity" option with these mics or the "low sensitivity" option which costs $20 more. One of my favorite bands is Smashing Pumpkins, which has become taper friendly. So, this is the type of band that I would like to tape with this rig (I shot video of them on 7/5/07 if that gives me any cred).

Or, do you think I should get the SP-CMC-19, which is much cheaper than then SP-CMC-2 and also works with the Croakies mounts? I always figure you get what you pay for, which is why I went with the SP-CMC-2. I am kinda confused on the "low sensitivity" vs "high sensitivity" thing, though. The SP-CMC-19 only has the "low sensitivity" setting, but the SP-CMC-2 gives you a choice. I don't mind spending the extra $20 to get the right thing, but I just don't want to buy the wrong one first and have to return it.

Please be kind this is  my first post. Thanks very much in advance for any help you can give.

--bigu2fan

Offline Dede2002

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: SP-CMC-2 question
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 10:55:06 AM »
I am brand new to taping and have a question. I have done a bit of homework, and was wondering if you guys could help. I have a Tascam DR-07 on the way and am trying to finalize mic selection. I plan to use these with the Croakies mount. I am leaning toward the SP-CMC-2 with the SP-SPSB-8 battery box. I plan to use this strictly to record loud rock shows in front of the soundboard or closer. Should I get the "high sensitivity" option with these mics or the "low sensitivity" option which costs $20 more. One of my favorite bands is Smashing Pumpkins, which has become taper friendly. So, this is the type of band that I would like to tape with this rig (I shot video of them on 7/5/07 if that gives me any cred).

Or, do you think I should get the SP-CMC-19, which is much cheaper than then SP-CMC-2 and also works with the Croakies mounts? I always figure you get what you pay for, which is why I went with the SP-CMC-2. I am kinda confused on the "low sensitivity" vs "high sensitivity" thing, though. The SP-CMC-19 only has the "low sensitivity" setting, but the SP-CMC-2 gives you a choice. I don't mind spending the extra $20 to get the right thing, but I just don't want to buy the wrong one first and have to return it.

Please be kind this is  my first post. Thanks very much in advance for any help you can give.

--bigu2fan

To keep things simple, if you're going to tape really loud shows, go with the Low Sens mics. On the other hand, if you are to tape only quiet acoustic stuff, the High Sens will be just fine.
Have fun  ;).
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline bigu2fan

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 11:41:19 AM »
Thanks. I plan to tape mostly arena rock shows or club rock shows. No James Taylor-ish type stuff. What do you think, low sensitivity? Stick to the SP-CMC-2 or the SP-CMC-19?

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 01:32:02 PM »
I suggest you stick to the CMC-2.  The AT831 is a known entity, and it's a good one.
Notice the frequency response underspecifications... the CMC-2 says 40-20,000 Hz and the CMC-19 says 80 - 18,000 Hz which means that it picks up less of the low and high frequencies.  When you are on a budget, mics are not the place to skimp.

Get the LOW sensitivity option.

If you can swing an extra $50 to get CMC-4's (AT853's) I think that is a worthy upgrade.  Again, get the low-sensitivity mod.  I have heard that if you tell them you are a TS.com member you will get a 10% discount... so that helps a little.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 02:16:00 PM by SmokinJoe »
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline bigu2fan

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 02:56:15 PM »
Thanks very much for your advice! I ended up ordering the CMC-2s in the Croakies mount with the battery box (no bass roll off) today. I got the low sensitivity mics for the extra $20 -- thanks very much for your advice on that. I have a show to tape next weekend, hopefully all this stuff will be in by then. This will be an acoustic show (an anomaly for me). Because this won't be a very loud show, do you think I should NOT use the battery box and simply plug the CMC-2s into the mic-in? Or, do you think I should use the battery box AND plug into the mic-in to compensate for the low volume. Obviously for loud shows I'll use the bass box and plug into the line in.

--bigu2fan

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 06:10:35 AM »
Because this won't be a very loud show, do you think I should NOT use the battery box and simply plug the CMC-2s into the mic-in? Or, do you think I should use the battery box AND plug into the mic-in to compensate for the low volume. Obviously for loud shows I'll use the bass box and plug into the line in.

I think the lack of response may be because few people use the exact combination of equipment that you have (for example, I don't even know what the low sensitivity option is, or what it does).

I general, the CMC2 mics work very nicely for acoustic (and for just about anything else you throw at them), for my combination of equipment listed below.

I suggest you hook up your mics both with and without battery box, in front of your stereo and record some acoustic music out of it as loud as your neighbours will stand (ie as close as possible to concert volume).

Good luck.
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 12:04:32 PM »
mic-in without the battery box should be fine for the quiet set... turn on Plug in Power on the recorder.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com