Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: newbie looking for advice on DIY t-bars and recording levels on GT-R1/DR-1  (Read 2463 times)

Offline bigjilm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
I kinda introduced myself in the Team Church thread, but I guess not to everyone.  Name's Mike and I'm a (n00b) taper.

I'm finally looking to break in my new Church Audio CA-14's, CA-9100 and Tascam GT-R1 this weekend and would love a little advice before I tape my first show.  And by first show I really mean MY FIRST SHOW with real gear.  I've videotaped a few local bands (mainly my wife's) here and there, but never strictly audio.  Unfortunately it appears there might be a bit of financial instability in my future, so I've been unable (probably a little more hesitant than unable) to finish purchasing everything I need by way of t-bar, shockmounts and the like.  I have access to a light stand from my job and bought a Manfrotto Rapid Adapter 5/8 stud to 3/8 thread and the 3/8 to 5/8 adapter, but don't have anything between it and the mics.  I saw a DIY project here a few weeks back where someone made a t-bar and some shock mounts out of some o-rings, hair scrunchies and a flat bar purchased at a hardware store, but I can't seem to locate the thread anymore.  Anyway, I was hoping to fabricate something like that myself, or something similar, but I'm really not that much of a handy man and really wouldn't know where to start.  So, what I'm thinking about doing is just clipping the mics (with the AT clips I got from Sound Pro) to some sort of bar, but I'm curious if it would be easier to purchase some sort of flat bar, drill a hole in it and secure it to the Rapid Adapter with a locking nut... or is there some other avenue I could/should take.  Again, I'm hoping not too spend to much money.  I definitely have more time to spend than money.

And secondly, about the CA-9100 and GT-R1.  I semi-tested the rig the other day in the bedroom and was curious about my results. From what I've read it seems that the LINE IN is fixed on the GT-R1 at -10dbv, and to even get it to register at -24db I had to crank the CA-9100 up to the top.  (Mind you, my computer speakers weren't nearly as loud as a show, but I had them cranked pretty damn loud.  I could barely hear my wife talking to me while sitting 5 ft away.)  If the LINE IN is fixed (at -10db or not) why would I have to crank the pre up to the top and not even get -10db?  I'm still new at this, so I'm a little confused.  (It may just be the fact that I just didn't have it lound enough, I don't know.)  I recorded a second piece going mic-in which came in a little hotter, maybe -14db or so, but I'm sure I've read that it's usually better to record LINE IN.  I normalized the first piece in Audition and it ended up sounding pretty good, but I'm curious which would be the better avenue to take.  BTW, I will be recording 24bit, which I've heard is more lenient when needing to boost the levels in post.  Oh, and the mics were probably 9-10 ft away from the source and about 7 ft. high.

I'm hoping that's not too much to take in for my, what, third post?  I guess I shoulda started asking earlier, but I'm looking forward to this show this weekend (Stanton Moore Trio) and although I know my first attempt won't be my best, I would still like to come home with some good results.  Looking forward to any and all help.

(I can add samples if need be, but I just taped a regular cd, not a live show, so I don't know if it's cool or not to post.  Which is basically why I didn't in the first place.)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 07:10:25 AM by bigjilm »
CA-14 cards > CA-9100 > Tascam GT-R1

Offline sunjan

• Needs to get out more...
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
Re: newbie looking for advice on DIY t-bars and recording levels
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 03:24:15 AM »
And secondly, about the CA-9100 and GT-R1.  I semi-tested the rig the other day in the bedroom and was curious about my results. From what I've read it seems that the LINE IN is fixed on the GT-R1 at -10dbv, and to even get it to register at -24db I had to crank the CA-9100 up to the top.  (Mind you, my computer speakers weren't nearly as loud as a show, but I had them cranked pretty damn loud.  I could barely hear my wife talking to me while sitting 5 ft away.)  If the LINE IN is fixed (at -10db or not) why would I have to crank the pre up to the top and not even get -10db?

AFAIK, the GT-R1 has the same specs as the DR-1. You should modify the subject line and put the model number in, to attract the attention from the other DR-1 users.
But it sounds weird to me. Did you check the voltage of the 9V battery you're using. The CA-9100 can be picky, if your battery is old it might not put out levels hot enough...
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline bigjilm

• Taperssection Newbie
thanks for the tip on the subject line.  changed it.  hopefully that'll bring more eyes.

as far as the battery goes... it was a brand new battery out of the pack.  now that i think about it i'm pretty sure it was an off brand i picked up in a hurry, but didn't think that would make that much difference.  i'll try to pick up a few name brands today and maybe try it again tonight.

Offline hoppedup

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Sa da tay!
Here is a DIY shockmount I made for my CA-11 cards, mounted on a 6-inch ruler:

This is a small cross-stitch hoop (any craft store), a 3/8" threaded rod connector (Lowe's), a thumb screw (Lowe's), and some rubber bands. Under $4 in materials. Not much handyman skill required. Drill a hole in the thumbscrew and attach the hoop through it. Quick and effective. I gave it a couple of quick coats of black spray paint.

I will probably add another ring to the inside and change out the rubber bands for nylon stretch cord at some point. Or not.

In the first field test, it seemed to work fine. Of course, this was also the first time no one bumped my stand.

AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

Offline bigjilm

• Taperssection Newbie
there ya go, that's an idea.  i think i'm gonna try to hit up lowe's after work today to try to pick up a few things.  maybe there will be a few more ideas thrown at me by then.  ;)

Offline bigjilm

• Taperssection Newbie
luckily another taper here will be attending the show tonight and has been kind enough to let me set up w/ him, so I won't have to worry about the stand.  thanks jk! 

as for my levels, i never got a chance to pick up any other batteries, but I did check the one I have and it's not an off brand, it's an Energizer.  I've played w/ the settings a little bit and have gotten it to come in a little hotter, but still not what I'm assuming it should be.  We'll see how it goes tonight though.

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
Here is a DIY shockmount I made for my CA-11 cards, mounted on a 6-inch ruler:

In the first field test, it seemed to work fine. Of course, this was also the first time no one bumped my stand.

Niiiiiice work, amigo.........those look great.     8)
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com