Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Noise shows !  (Read 5526 times)

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
Re: С праздником
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 03:03:45 PM »
Всех с прошедшими праздниками! Ура !
WERD!
Took the words right out of my mouth.

translated from Russian:
All with the past holidays! Hurray!

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: С праздником
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 03:58:29 PM »
Всех с прошедшими праздниками! Ура !
WERD!
Took the words right out of my mouth.

translated from Russian:
All with the past holidays! Hurray!

yeah, I saw it posted earlier, and I thought about reporting it, but I think it makes a nice conversation piece.  :P
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Teen Age Riot

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Noise shows !
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2011, 04:56:43 PM »
acidjack, thank you tons.  if I were to be a serious regular taper I would invest quite a bit more money, but I'm a student and a film dude foremost so I try to save my cash for video related expenses.  I think your recommendations will do me awfully well !

I should add, at least one member here, Gutbucket, has been using the Tascam DR-2D for four-channel recordings. Deck is only $200 like the Sony M10.  The 4-channel feature is not as robust as with some other decks, but I believe it will probably work for you if you're really interested in getting SBD patches.  Just another thought.

+1

I ran my DR-2d for the first time last night. SBD patch plus internal mics in 4 channel mode. Deck placed on the side rack, next to soundboard.
I'm very impressed with the results. The internal mics sound suprisingly good. The main problem with this deck, IMO, is that you cannot change the input level of the line-in while you're recording. (You have to press stop and access a menu to do that.) However, in most cases, this is a non-issue, because you can normally adjust the feed at the board or ask the engineer to do that for you. I think it's a keeper.

Offline Barry Shoop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2011, 06:39:14 PM »
Regarding the mics I agree with all that you should spend the $$ on a decent set. Personally I am an AGK fan and use AKG CB568D Shotguns. They are hybrid using condensor pickups for everything but the extreme low end. 150hz down to 20hz is produced with a diaphram at the back of the mic tube which doubles as a resonance tube. This gives fantastically realistic and warm bass not found w/ other shotgun mics. You can still find them on E-Bay for around $750 each ($1500 a pair). If you don't have the budget for that, I am sure many here can provide good advice for whatever $$ you do have to spend. Senhauser 451's come to mind, they are dirt cheap (under $100 a mic) passive (require no battery power) and sound pretty damn good for a cheap mic. Other cheap options include either a Sony or AT stereo mic (around $150) and you only need the one mic. In the other direction if $$ are no issue and you want a LOT of flexibility AKG, AR SHEP and Nakamichi all make mic's with interchangable heads (Cardiod / hyper cardiod / shotgun) In the case of the AKG's you get the same shotgun I use with other options for other situations. These are rather expensive although the Nac CM300's can be had for $600 a mic with all three heads. Only problem w/ the Nac is it is a bit lacking in low end. The AKG's and AR SHEPS cost more but sound a LOT better. (Figure $3,000 for a set of either w/ all the heads.)

Regarding the recorder however, I do NOT recommend the Edirol!! It's external mic input is a flimsy stereo mini in a poor location and it does not provide phantom power for the mics. Instead buy a Zoom H4 (all of $200 and a GREAT little machine, I use one myself, even comes w/ Cube Base LE4 for free) which takes both XLR and 1/4 AND provides up to 48 volts phantom power for the mics thus eliminating the need for external power supplies (or worse, batteries IN the mics where a leaking 50 cent battery can kill a $1,500 mic!  :()

Good luck!

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 11:44:13 PM »
I would avoid omnis at all costs IMO. you have to have the PERFECT situation to get a good/great omni recording. I would get cards or hypers and get a Naiant Tinybox/Littlebox and a Sony M10
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.336 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com