Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Ethics Question - ALD recording if hearing impaired  (Read 8487 times)

Online Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my list
Re: Ethics Question - ALD recording if hearing impaired
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2005, 07:43:27 PM »
I believe some DMB tapers were doing this at one point. I read somewhere that it happened so much that finally decided to try and stop them.I don't remembet the whole story though.

they wer using some kind of device that picked up the in ear monitors that the guys were using.  made for a very crisp but bad tape imo.  It would pick up them talking to each other during the music etc.  I heard that one such show Dave ro somebody said "I know you can hear this.  fuck off." or something like that.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2005, 08:25:49 PM »
I believe some DMB tapers were doing this at one point. I read somewhere that it happened so much that finally decided to try and stop them.I don't remembet the whole story though.

they wer using some kind of device that picked up the in ear monitors that the guys were using. made for a very crisp but bad tape imo. It would pick up them talking to each other during the music etc. I heard that one such show Dave ro somebody said "I know you can hear this. fuck off." or something like that.

the band also got to the point where they had IEM scanners and went out in the audience during the show to find the guys getting the feed

Offline fsulloway

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2005, 06:43:02 PM »

they wer using some kind of device that picked up the in ear monitors that the guys were using. made for a very crisp but bad tape imo. It would pick up them talking to each other during the music etc. I heard that one such show Dave ro somebody said "I know you can hear this. fuck off." or something like that.

the band also got to the point where they had IEM scanners and went out in the audience during the show to find the guys getting the feed

Ahh, that's right.It was the in ear monitors.. Wonder how they knew they were doing it in the first place though?Had they been doing it for a while and it finally got back to the band?
schoeps ccm4's, mk4v, mk2h, mk41
AKG ck62, ck63, ck61
Nbob/pfa, Naiant/pfa
SD 10T

"Wilmington, North Carolina....Let us hear your motherf***in' pride!" Patterson Hood 12-09-04

"Just About Unwound From Chasing Down The Sound"

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2005, 06:50:57 PM »
I think a couple started showing up in trading circles on the boards...doesnt take too long til the whole world knows about them then....

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2005, 07:13:10 PM »
I talked to the venue today and they are going to have an ALD for me that night.  So, that's nice.  Now, do I tape or not?  I suppose I could plug the deck in and tape, while using the headphone jack on the MD for listening purposes.  That would kill two birds with one stone.  Will there be problems running from the headphone out of the FM unit to the line-in on the MD (I'm assuming I'll have to pump the levels up)?

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2005, 03:44:48 PM »
Oh, one more question.  The ALD will be sourced in mono, which I prefer so I can just use one headphone and have one ear "open."  So, if I tape it with the borrowed MD, I suppose I could record in mono instead of SP mode then?

Offline NewHomebrew

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2005, 08:53:49 PM »
I would hate to see people who actually need these devices get a hard time because they were being abused for other purposes.  Esp when we can make nice recordings so many other ways.

Offline braweave

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2005, 01:04:51 AM »

yep.. they broke it down at deer creek night 2 in 02.. they ripped through everyones bags at least 2x priar to the show and 1x during the show.. they got a lot of shit for it because they were very dis-respectful. one of my cables got unplugged and i believe it happened to someone else as well..

i asked them what they were looking for at one point and was told they were looking for a sure monitor reciever or the house issued listening devices.
aka iem and ald.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2005, 01:07:49 AM by braweave »
Neumann KM140 > Sound Devices MP-2 > Edirol R-09HR

Depechemode1993

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2005, 11:34:50 PM »
I have a few ALD recordings and most of them are very good. I have DM at Inglewood '98 both nights and its very good. isn't it supposed to be broadcasted at FM signals or something? also u2 at the Silverdome in '92 I think? I forgot the year. I would definately go for it.

Offline taperanonymous

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2011, 02:33:53 AM »
Pearl Jam Hartford 1996

Can anyone provide an example of a show taped from the listening devices?  I thought that a phish show in 1995 from Madison Square Garden was circulating with this source, but I can;t find it anywhere.

But I definitely want to try it one day.

Offline Frequincy

• Taperssection Regular
  • I Am The Last Dinosaur
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2011, 07:16:08 PM »
I remember in recording school, the live sound part of the training, my instructor said he always shelved the patch with a high pass. I forget the frequency. He said he did it for this very reason. It ruined the recording, but the lister could enjoy the show, being as they felt the low end and the upper frequencies were what the devices were designed to reproduce.

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2011, 09:46:47 PM »
Pearl Jam Hartford 1996

Can anyone provide an example of a show taped from the listening devices?  I thought that a phish show in 1995 from Madison Square Garden was circulating with this source, but I can;t find it anywhere.

Way to go on bumping a 6 yr old thread   ::)
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2011, 06:17:33 AM »
Pearl Jam Hartford 1996

Way to go on bumping a 6 yr old thread   ::)

Indeed~!  I somehow missed this the first time around. Interesting thread.  Thanks.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com