Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: question about mbox and USB stability  (Read 1634 times)

Offline firmdragon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
question about mbox and USB stability
« on: February 07, 2006, 01:05:20 AM »
since i've lost confidence in the reliability of my soundcard, i'm thinking about getting an mbox for the dual use of transferring my dats and possibly mobile recording.

i was wondering how hard is it to drop frames/incur wanted digi-artifacts when you're transferring via USB 1.1.  (drop frames probably isn't the correct term, i've been doing more video than audio lately)  this is the main problem i've been having w/ transferring audio.  but i don't have problems w/ transferring videos via firewire. (yes i realize that firewire is a helluva lot faster than usb 1.1)

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
Re: question about mbox and USB stability
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 12:59:45 PM »
For 2 channels at a time (even at 24bit) the Mbox is solid.  The terribly limited USB 1.1 spec is still more than enough to handle the throughput. 

Digi has released the Mbox2 recently, which (BELIEVE IT OR NOT) is also USB 1.1!!  Not sure what they were thinking in not utilizing USB 2.0, but hey it still works.

Video is a lot more intensive than audio, so dropped frames would be common on a USB1 interface.  Audio 2-4 channels (simultaneously) should be OK though.

Dirk
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline db

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • i do not have a personal statement
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 01:04:45 PM »
since i've lost confidence in the reliability of my soundcard, i'm thinking about getting an mbox for the dual use of transferring my dats and possibly mobile recording.

i was wondering how hard is it to drop frames/incur wanted digi-artifacts when you're transferring via USB 1.1.  (drop frames probably isn't the correct term, i've been doing more video than audio lately)  this is the main problem i've been having w/ transferring audio.  but i don't have problems w/ transferring videos via firewire. (yes i realize that firewire is a helluva lot faster than usb 1.1)

1.1.vs. 2.0 should not matter. the only concern mentioned in the book is that you use a dedicated usb port as they say it might not work properly via a hub. also you do need a minimun of 512 memorywise, although i'd go higher if you can. as is normal, it works flawlessly on my os x machine via a 2.0 port. but as is also normal is freaks out on my older version of xp (xtra problems) -- i have not updated to sp2  yet ... (the entire windows configuration would be laughable, were it not such a giant pain in the ass). if you do not need protools, as is over-kill for most, a better option would be the firewire 410 (i think that the model). it's spdf in > firewire > recording program.

db

Offline firmdragon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 03:09:03 PM »
thanks for your advice guys.  i pulled the trigger and i love my new toy!

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2006, 08:14:30 PM »
For 2 channels at a time (even at 24bit) the Mbox is solid.  The terribly limited USB 1.1 spec is still more than enough to handle the throughput. 

Digi has released the Mbox2 recently, which (BELIEVE IT OR NOT) is also USB 1.1!!  Not sure what they were thinking in not utilizing USB 2.0, but hey it still works.

weird...all the literature and even the package printing says the mbox2 is usb 2.0

the water's clean and innocent

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com