Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Wave won't transfer completely to PC  (Read 6856 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Wave won't transfer completely to PC
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2014, 10:43:41 PM »
The Iriver basically is acts as a external hard drive as it is, it is a drag and drop so I don't think removing it will matter in this case, and I have removed and replaced the HD's in these before so its not that I would 't open it.

In my experience you will get better results doing file recovery / formatting / etc. when you mount a drive directly to the motherboard of the PC you're using to run said utilities from.  The iPod I mentioned was using Rockbox so it was also acting as a drag-and-drop device, but with the additional USB interface in between I was not able to successfully perform any of the above tasks until I removed the drive and mounted it directly.

That said, be very careful to read up on how your iRiver expects your HDD partition table to be written before you decide to delete and re-create new partitions and re-format.  Hopefully it's not wacky like my old iPod was - this was the BS I had to deal with: http://brianschrameck.com/how-to-align-partitions-on-an-upgraded-ipod-hard-drive-in-windows

Before you do any of this though, try mounting the iRiver normally in Windows.  Open an elevated command prompt (Start - type "cmd", right-click, Run As Administrator), then type CHKDSK /R X: (Where "X" is the drive letter where your iRiver is mounted).
Run this overnight - it will take many hours.  Adding the /R switch tells CHKSDK to recover and relocate information from any bad sectors it finds on the drive.  As I said before though, this will work much more reliably if you pop the drive out and mount it to your PC directly.  It's just a big pain in the ass...
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Whats next?
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2014, 11:04:54 PM »
The Iriver basically is acts as a external hard drive as it is, it is a drag and drop so I don't think removing it will matter in this case, and I have removed and replaced the HD's in these before so its not that I would 't open it.

In my experience you will get better results doing file recovery / formatting / etc. when you mount a drive directly to the motherboard of the PC you're using to run said utilities from.  The iPod I mentioned was using Rockbox so it was also acting as a drag-and-drop device, but with the additional USB interface in between I was not able to successfully perform any of the above tasks until I removed the drive and mounted it directly.

That said, be very careful to read up on how your iRiver expects your HDD partition table to be written before you decide to delete and re-create new partitions and re-format.  Hopefully it's not wacky like my old iPod was - this was the BS I had to deal with: http://brianschrameck.com/how-to-align-partitions-on-an-upgraded-ipod-hard-drive-in-windows

Before you do any of this though, try mounting the iRiver normally in Windows.  Open an elevated command prompt (Start - type "cmd", right-click, Run As Administrator), then type CHKDSK /R X: (Where "X" is the drive letter where your iRiver is mounted).
Run this overnight - it will take many hours.  Adding the /R switch tells CHKSDK to recover and relocate information from any bad sectors it finds on the drive.  As I said before though, this will work much more reliably if you pop the drive out and mount it to your PC directly.  It's just a big pain in the ass...

Thanks, will give it a shot

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Whats next?
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2014, 09:24:04 PM »
Ran CHKDSK last night then tried transfering today, it worked, although It said 3 times that it couldn't transfer  and asked if i wanted to try again, I noticed it had downloaded a bit more than before so I kept hitting retry and it finally all downloaded acter about 45 minutes, but it has a bunch of dropouts in the middle of the set roughly where it was freezing up. Conclusion...time to replace the HD or do that compact flash mod.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2014, 09:57:41 PM »
Ran CHKDSK last night then tried transfering today, it worked, although It said 3 times that it couldn't transfer  and asked if i wanted to try again, I noticed it had downloaded a bit more than before so I kept hitting retry and it finally all downloaded acter about 45 minutes, but it has a bunch of dropouts in the middle of the set roughly where it was freezing up. Conclusion...time to replace the HD or do that compact flash mod.

:coolguy:

Glad you could at least get something.  Did CHKDSK report any bad sectors?  Either way, I would replace the drive ASAP.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com