Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: dpa 4011c  (Read 2869 times)

Offline old and in the way

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
dpa 4011c
« on: November 05, 2012, 01:39:12 PM »
 looking to pick up a pair of 4011c any experience w/them

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: dpa 4011c
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 03:05:23 PM »
While not the card caps, I have a pair of the subs that use the new compact bodies (pictures) and there are a pair of the 2011 card caps floating around.

I have the special hidden XLR end cables and had those chopped in the middle. The two words of caution I have is that the cables are meant to be plugged in once and thats it, they aren't traditional mic cables that you pull out at the end of the night, more like something you would see at an installation. You don't need the special cables (normal XLRs work) but it sort of defeats the purpose of using small mics. Second, the stock shockmount is super tight. That's fixable, and I'm not sure how normal that is, but I leave mine in the shocks full time as a result of it. I think the three core questions I'd ask in determining whether to get the older 402x series or new 4011c mics would be:

1) Do I need the smallest mic possible for incognito taping?
2) Do I need a balanced connection for the cable run?
3) Do I need the better amplifier noise specs?
4) Do I think I will need to maintain these over a very long (>15years) life?
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 04:53:58 PM »
would like the small size and i have stubys for cables as well as reg xlrs idont do a lot of under the radar stuff mostly small clubs were i can clamp on. ill go with cards for now maybe omnis later . ive heard these are a colorless mic compared to schoeps or milab vm44 s  i know the spl is excellent. any thoughts on the sonic characteristics.

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 05:20:50 PM »
any thoughts on the sonic characteristics.

They have none.  They are the most transparent microphones you can buy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 05:46:28 PM »
 this is what i am looking for . i do every thing from acoustic to jazz to jam to punk to classical . i run a usbpre2 >coax > ode mod pmd 661 or oade mod pmd 671. i have
a pair of beyer mc 930s and a pair of berliner cm33s  both nice mics . The beyers are a little to bass heavy for my taste  and the berliners are a little light in the mid range. Ive heard these are transparent as they get and well rounded through all ranges . looks like a done deal thanks.

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 06:22:12 PM »

Yup, that's what they say.  Some people would call the DPA's "clinical"; I consider them "accurate".  Gives you room in post to play around with EQ if you want to.  Ran 4021's for a few years and loved 'em.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 07:49:26 PM »

This.

this is what i am looking for . i do every thing from acoustic to jazz to jam to punk to classical . i run a usbpre2 >coax > ode mod pmd 661 or oade mod pmd 671. i have
a pair of beyer mc 930s and a pair of berliner cm33s  both nice mics . The beyers are a little to bass heavy for my taste  and the berliners are a little light in the mid range. Ive heard these are transparent as they get and well rounded through all ranges . looks like a done deal thanks.

I had the 930s for a long time (actually, 930s>SoundDevices) and I bought the DPAs because I started do a lot of onstage jazz recordings. The beyers were fun, colorful, inviting, and soft, but there were a number of recordings that I really should have shot for reality and the DPAs allow me to do that (and I can color them in post production if I want to).
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com