Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New toys!!! AQ-1001DT  (Read 7405 times)

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
New toys!!! AQ-1001DT
« on: December 08, 2005, 11:38:51 AM »
Just got a visit from the UPS man yesterday...   Can't wait to give it a listen.  I'd have it running already except I need to move a ton of stuff around.

Thanks Trey!

Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I love/hate tickets.
Re: New toys!!! AQ-1001DT
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 11:40:10 AM »
+T for new toys!  She's a beauty - makes me miss my old one...  :(
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 11:49:38 AM »

It's only a couple hours away... If you're ever in town I'll let you spend a few minutes alone in the room with her, no sick shit man.

+backatcha
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 11:51:36 AM »

It's only a couple hours away... If you're ever in town I'll let you spend a few minutes alone in the room with her, no sick shit man.

:lol:

I can't promise no sick shit man!
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 12:01:59 PM »
On a side not, I wouldn't mind having a backup set of tubes since it's used.  It has the JJ / Tesla KT88's (2 of the stock AQ branded KT-88's) and JJ / Tesla ECC82 (extra set of (RCA 12AU7a's) as well.

I was thinking of getting these: Electro-Harmonix KT88EH from tubestore.com, either as a backup set or to play around once I really get a feel how this thing sounds.

Any suggestions on where to get tubes, I only found a few online retailers?

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 12:31:56 PM »
sorry... can't help much... the only relevant experience I had was with my guitar amp... just tossed some Sovteks in there...  its not as critical as a playback system.

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Nick Culbreth

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 04:59:16 PM »
I've had very positive experiences with Triode Electronics and Upscale Audio.  In my experience Triode is a little cheaper but Upscale does more exhaustive testing and matching, either way you can't go wrong.

http://store.triodestore.com/tubes.html

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/view_category.asp?cat=38

If I were you I'd try swapping out the signal tubes first, in my experience they have a bigger impact on sound quality.  I did a shootout awhile back and posted my results, to my ears the RCA cleartops were second best but they offered the best value.  They seem to sell on Audiogon fairly regularly for a decent price (I paid $25 for a quad) but otherwise I think SND has some in stock for a $25 a piece.  Even at $25 I think think they're a great value.

http://www.vacuumtubes.com/12au7.html

Enough of my rambling, good luck with the new amp.  :)

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 05:28:29 PM »
I've had very positive experiences with Triode Electronics and Upscale Audio.  In my experience Triode is a little cheaper but Upscale does more exhaustive testing and matching, either way you can't go wrong.

http://store.triodestore.com/tubes.html

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/view_category.asp?cat=38

If I were you I'd try swapping out the signal tubes first, in my experience they have a bigger impact on sound quality.  I did a shootout awhile back and posted my results, to my ears the RCA cleartops were second best but they offered the best value.  They seem to sell on Audiogon fairly regularly for a decent price (I paid $25 for a quad) but otherwise I think SND has some in stock for a $25 a piece.  Even at $25 I think think they're a great value.

http://www.vacuumtubes.com/12au7.html

Enough of my rambling, good luck with the new amp.  :)

Thanks!

I already have 2 sets of signal tubes, the RCA's an JJ's.  I only have 1 full set of Output tubes, so if one of those goes I'd be down for a bit, hence me wanting a backup set.

Is it bad to use unmatched tubes?  For example, if one of my JJ KT-88's went, could I throw in a EH KT-88 to get me by until I get more, basically is it a big no-no or does it just affect optimum performance?

Also I see tubes being sold in matched pairs/sets.  How important is this?  If I use 4 output tubes, I'm assuming it's 2 per channel.  For the best results would I want 4 matched tubes or is 2 pairs of matched tubes fine?

:newbie:

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2005, 06:32:09 PM »

your old one is holding up fine with daily use.
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline Nick Culbreth

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2005, 06:56:49 PM »

Thanks!

I already have 2 sets of signal tubes, the RCA's an JJ's.  I only have 1 full set of Output tubes, so if one of those goes I'd be down for a bit, hence me wanting a backup set.

Is it bad to use unmatched tubes?  For example, if one of my JJ KT-88's went, could I throw in a EH KT-88 to get me by until I get more, basically is it a big no-no or does it just affect optimum performance?

Also I see tubes being sold in matched pairs/sets.  How important is this?  If I use 4 output tubes, I'm assuming it's 2 per channel.  For the best results would I want 4 matched tubes or is 2 pairs of matched tubes fine?

:newbie:

As long as you're buying current production new tubes I don't think matching is a big deal, though the added cost of matching is pretty minimal so I've always spent the extra buck or two for peace of mind.  Generally keeping the output tubes the same is a good idea to keep a balanced sound but you could use a different brand if you're in a pinch.  If you're replacing the power tubes it's a good idea to replace them all at once unless you break one really early on, as tubes age they lose strength and if you put two brand new tube in with two old tubes you're going to notice.

I'm assuming that each channel has one 12AU7 for the input and the other is the driver, if this is correct I'd experiment with the tubes you have to find out which is best suited to be the input and which sounds best as the driver.  Have fun with your tube rolling.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2005, 09:28:58 PM »

your old one is holding up fine with daily use.

THis might be a bit presumptious, but I'm very glad you dig it.

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

BobW

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2005, 02:23:20 PM »
+T for Tubes!

Offline cheshirecat

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2005, 09:25:27 AM »

You should use pairs of tubes that are about the same strength.  Depending on how the amp is biased (individually or in pairs) putting a new tube with a weaker one can put extra stress on the weaker tube, so replacing pairs is the way to go.

2 pairs should be fine (yes, 2 per channel).  If the tubes were all produced at the same time, they should be pretty closely matched as is, but for a few extra bucks, it's no big deal to get matched ones.
SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2005, 01:21:57 PM »

You should use pairs of tubes that are about the same strength.  Depending on how the amp is biased (individually or in pairs) putting a new tube with a weaker one can put extra stress on the weaker tube, so replacing pairs is the way to go.

2 pairs should be fine (yes, 2 per channel).  If the tubes were all produced at the same time, they should be pretty closely matched as is, but for a few extra bucks, it's no big deal to get matched ones.

+ thanks for the info

Since I have it up and running I have a few more questions.

Next post...

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2005, 04:39:13 PM »
yes looks right, no idea on the t - p issue
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.171 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com