Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anyone know anything about this Fostex FR2 LE (previously FR3 LE)  (Read 107615 times)

Offline cgrooves

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Get On the Bus -Busman Audio
Re: Anyone know anything about this Fostex FR2 LE (previously FR3 LE)
« Reply #330 on: January 30, 2008, 02:14:59 PM »
sorry for all the q's, but trying to get a handle of the machine...

anyone use 133x cards in this babie? Newegg is sold out of the kingston 45x. 
thanks

Check out the posts on page 20 & 21.
AUDIO:
Open:  Busman Audio BSC1-(K1/K2/K3/K4) > Fostex FR-2LE (Busman T Mod) 

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

Offline spcyrfc

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Live from River City
    • BordersCrossing.net
« Reply #331 on: January 30, 2008, 02:19:45 PM »
sorry for all the q's, but trying to get a handle of the machine...

anyone use 133x cards in this babie? Newegg is sold out of the kingston 45x. 
thanks

Check out the posts on page 20 & 21.

oops, missed that.  +t
mkh8040>aerco mp-2>pcmd-50
PFS: AKG 414xls

Record Local

www.borderscrossing.net

Offline drewski1986

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #332 on: January 30, 2008, 04:30:28 PM »
I will hopefully be taping my first show friday night and had a question about levels.  Where do you set your levels when starting the recording?  I know this will vary depending on band or venue, but let's just say it is a rock show in a smaller (1500 people) venue.  I thought I read somewhere to set the recording level about 3:00 and the trims at about 1:00.  Anyone have any suggestions for me?  Thanks.

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #333 on: January 30, 2008, 04:40:48 PM »
i run the little knobs at noon to 1 o' clock and dial it in w/ the big knob.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline cgrooves

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #334 on: January 30, 2008, 06:25:16 PM »
Quote from: spcyrfc link=topic=62698.msg1305037#msg1305037 date=1201720785
oops, missed that.  +t
[/quote

+T Backatchya

I will hopefully be taping my first show friday night and had a question about levels.  Where do you set your levels when starting the recording?  I know this will vary depending on band or venue, but let's just say it is a rock show in a smaller (1500 people) venue.  I thought I read somewhere to set the recording level about 3:00 and the trims at about 1:00.  Anyone have any suggestions for me?  Thanks.

I'd follow Dre's advice, since he has been using it in the field a bunch. 
That said, it seems like the mod made my input stage (trim knobs) more sensitive, so the advice given on this question may change depending on whether you are running a stock unit or modded unit.  Can anyone else with a modded unit confirm this?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 06:27:45 PM by cgrooves »
AUDIO:

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

Offline drewski1986

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #335 on: January 30, 2008, 07:29:09 PM »
Forgot to add that my unit is still a stock unit.  If it matters I am running Busman mics with it.  I'm still not sure what the difference between Recoding level and trim level is.

Roving Sign

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #336 on: January 30, 2008, 08:08:02 PM »
Another related question - do the trim knobs always pass signal even when at minimum setting? - or do they go all the way down to nothing?

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #337 on: January 30, 2008, 08:19:42 PM »
Another related question - do the trim knobs always pass signal even when at minimum setting? - or do they go all the way down to nothing?

yes they do.....  only had to do it once(with good results) when running onstage with a *very* loud band...
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline cgrooves

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #338 on: January 30, 2008, 08:43:43 PM »
Forgot to add that my unit is still a stock unit.  If it matters I am running Busman mics with it.  I'm still not sure what the difference between Recoding level and trim level is.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.....but, this is how I understand it.
The trim knobs adjust the mic input, and determines the mic signal strength that is fed into the preamp stage.

If the red light is on (or blinks) for the mic input then you are overloading the input signal to the pre and will get brickwalling / distortion.

The recording level adjustment dials utilize the preamp stage to add gain to the mic signal, as needed, to get good levels.

As taken from the Team FR-2LE thread:

I know the "trim" controls go from -50 to -10dB levels, ie., 0 to 40dB gain.

I just got burned the other night with brickwall (or some other) distortion so want to clear this up.

Richard

AUDIO:

VISUAL:

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #339 on: January 31, 2008, 12:44:20 AM »

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.....but, this is how I understand it.
The trim knobs adjust the mic input, and determines the mic signal strength that is fed into the preamp stage.

If the red light is on (or blinks) for the mic input then you are overloading the input signal to the pre and will get brickwalling / distortion.

The recording level adjustment dials utilize the preamp stage to add gain to the mic signal, as needed, to get good levels.

As taken from the Team FR-2LE thread:

I know the "trim" controls go from -50 to -10dB levels, ie., 0 to 40dB gain.

I just got burned the other night with brickwall (or some other) distortion so want to clear this up.

Richard

It seems to work fine under very loud settings for regular mics (eg., Nevaton MCE400).  I was getting brickwall for *very* hot mics, in particular, a Beyerdynamic MC833.  Not sure how the Beyerdynamic MC930s would do.  Will know soon ...

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline drewski1986

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #340 on: January 31, 2008, 05:57:46 AM »
I'm thinking of starting both the trim and recording levels at about 1:00 and adjust from there.

Offline homer420

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #341 on: January 31, 2008, 12:44:29 PM »

Just made my first FR-2LE (stock) recording last week.  Started w/ the trim knobs between 11:00 and 12:00 and the level dial at about 2:30 but ended up having to back them both off a slight bit.  I think I ended up around 10:00 on the trim knobs and about 1:00 on the level dial.  This was for Big Head Todd in an approx 1000 person capacity theatre ......
MBHO 603/KA200N's -> furtooli

Offline drewski1986

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #342 on: January 31, 2008, 05:22:26 PM »
Thanks for that info homer420.  That gives me a better idea where to start.

Offline spcyrfc

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Live from River City
    • BordersCrossing.net
« Reply #343 on: February 01, 2008, 05:21:59 PM »
i copy the CF card USB through a CF reader on to my mac.  When i import the audio file into audacity, the cure points are nowhere to be found.  there is also a blank document next to the wave files on the card/that came off the card that it seems should have the cue point data.  do i need to d/l some software or am i doing something wrong?

thanks

luke
mkh8040>aerco mp-2>pcmd-50
PFS: AKG 414xls

Record Local

www.borderscrossing.net

Offline drewski1986

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #344 on: February 02, 2008, 04:46:20 PM »
I pulled my first recording with the fr2le(stock) and busman mics last night.  I ended up with the trim knobs at ~11:00 and the recording level knobs at ~12:30.  I think I ran it a little low but the recording came out nice.  I normalized in audacity and the show sounds fine to my ears.  If I end up modding it, I guess I can run it a little hotter.  Anyway just wanted to say thanks for the input from everyone and I am really happy with this as my first rig.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com