Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Clamp-aholics. The ultimate clamping and rigging team thread  (Read 122620 times)

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
Re: Clamp-aholics. The ultimate clamping and rigging team thread
« Reply #150 on: November 12, 2014, 09:37:52 PM »
I can see several spots on my Superclamp that could be drilled and tapped.

Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline jcb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #151 on: November 15, 2014, 01:52:14 AM »
It should be possible to tap the front of the superclamp (the part that looks like the upper jaw if you see the clamp as biting the rail). However :
  • you will need to take care that your device does not obstruct the clamp opening
  • you will note that the top side (the one with the spigot receiving hole / the top of the head in the previous image) already sports 5 threaded holes so that you could mount some kind of right angle bracket without making new holes in the clamp itself

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
« Reply #152 on: November 15, 2014, 04:04:47 PM »

Need some input on a sort of unusual clamping necessity I have coming up soon.

I'm going to record three nights in a row at a friend's bar that is shutting down after 11 years. The place is tiny (holds 50 ppl packed) and using a stand is completely out of the question so clamping it is.
The bad news is I'm using ADK TLs and they are huge and heavy. Unless I can borrow some other mics this is what I have (don't really want to borrow mics as this is probably going to be a completely drunken shit show of a weekend and I wouldn't want to risk someone else's gear in a hostile environment)

So the room has two large support columns one is near the center of the room  about 8-10 feet away from the stage (there is no stage so let's say the center vocal mic). It is about  one foot square which is where I'm getting stuck.

How in the hell can I hang a pair of big ass LD mics off of a 12" by 12" column or alternately

How can I clamp something in between the two columns which are about six feet apart that I could clamp the mics on 2 windtechs individually to spread out the weight?

The easiest solution I've been able to come up with is to ratchet strap a stand to the column in the center with some improvised spacers to keep it just a bit off the side of the column.

I have to get the mics up high enough to be above peoples heads ~9 ft  high and be able to run cables along the ceiling back to a corner where the gear bag will live (or maybe even back to the stock room 40-50 ft away).

:help:
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #153 on: November 15, 2014, 06:28:43 PM »
You need a way of keeping the stand centered on the column so it can't twist or slide from side to side. 

Cut a "v" notch in the middle of the 2x4x12 1/4, nail a 2x4 end on each end to form a channel.  Put one of these near the top and one near the bottom of the stand.  Strap the stand to the column with straps near the top and bottom.   Use the straps to tension the stand tube into the notch enough that it doesn't move around.  It would be helpful if you could secure the 2x4 assembly to the column by screwing it in, but I don't know if they'll let you do that or not.    BAD IDEA.

On my deal, I decided not to tap my clamp.  I figured out a way to use a piece of aluminum angle and a cell phone holder to attach my recorder and my battery to the stand. 
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 10:22:44 AM by 2manyrocks »

Offline ScoobieKW

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #154 on: November 15, 2014, 06:44:13 PM »

I'm going to record three nights in a row at a friend's bar that is shutting down after 11 years. The place is tiny (holds 50 ppl packed) and using a stand is completely out of the question so clamping it is.
The bad news is I'm using ADK TLs and they are huge and heavy. Unless I can borrow some other mics this is what I have (don't really want to borrow mics as this is probably going to be a completely drunken shit show of a weekend and I wouldn't want to risk someone else's gear in a hostile environment)

So the room has two large support columns one is near the center of the room  about 8-10 feet away from the stage (there is no stage so let's say the center vocal mic). It is about  one foot square which is where I'm getting stuck.

How in the hell can I hang a pair of big ass LD mics off of a 12" by 12" column or alternately

How can I clamp something in between the two columns which are about six feet apart that I could clamp the mics on 2 windtechs individually to spread out the weight?

The easiest solution I've been able to come up with is to ratchet strap a stand to the column in the center with some improvised spacers to keep it just a bit off the side of the column.

I have to get the mics up high enough to be above peoples heads ~9 ft  high and be able to run cables along the ceiling back to a corner where the gear bag will live (or maybe even back to the stock room 40-50 ft away).

Option A. Bigger Clamp - Matthews Mattelini + Extendalini
http://www.filmtools.com/matthews-extendellini-420113.html

Obtion B.
Since your friends  bar is closing soon, screw a Baby Pin Wall Plate into the column.Then use a Manfrotto  Rapid adapter with 3/8 to 5/8 adapter

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=baby+wall+plate&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

Option C
Mount the above baby pin to piece of wood. Ratchet Strap the wood to the column.

Offline Blues Overboard

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #155 on: November 16, 2014, 10:05:34 AM »

good cooker,
I record in a similar setting every Sunday nite and your fix is real easy. Just go down to Home Cheapo and buy their largest bar-clamp and a 3/8" x 1"bolt.  Drll a hole in the end to mount your mic bar. Paint it flat-black or brown if you like. This setup works fantastic both in the field and in your shop.
BTW you really don't need to go 9' up to be out of the way, although you'll lose a little chatter that way. 7-8' and you're out of the way. But if it's gonna be a real shitshow like you say, then the higher the better.
Good luck,
Conan
Look man, you can listen to Jimi but you can't hear him. There's a difference man. Just because you're listening to him doesn't mean you're hearing him.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #156 on: November 17, 2014, 10:21:42 AM »
After giving this more thought, 2x4's are unnecessary to hold the stand in position and potentially dangerous if they happen to fall on someone's head.  There's a similar risk for using a clamp overhead in a room full of drunk wookies.  Now if you loop your strap around the stand and then loop the strap around the column, that should hold the stand pretty well centered on the wall and be secure. 

You'll still need a standoff which you want to make sure can't fall off onto anyone. 

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #157 on: November 17, 2014, 06:27:10 PM »
^^^ Use lighting safety cables designed for the purpose, they're not expensive.
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline StarkRavingCalm

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #158 on: November 18, 2014, 12:50:22 PM »
For those times where I can clamp to a railing, I was thinking of getting this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/33185-REG/Matthews_429499_Telescopic_Baby_Stand_Extension.html

and this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/824360-REG/impact_cc_106r_super_clamp_with_ratchet.html

And sitting atop it will be:

http://avlex.com/products/hm-30-stand-mount/

Anything else needed to complete this setup?

Can you change the 'orientation' of the stud on the SuperClamp?

Any other recommendations?

Perhaps some actions shots?

So I am about to pull the trigger on Matthews Extension and the Impact SuperClamp but it looks like I will need an adapter to sit atop the extension  that will give me 5/8-27 male.

Anyone know of one?

Anyone currently using this extension and\or clamp setup that can offer opinions?

Offline ScoobieKW

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #159 on: November 18, 2014, 01:19:08 PM »
So I am about to pull the trigger on Matthews Extension and the Impact SuperClamp but it looks like I will need an adapter to sit atop the extension  that will give me 5/8-27 male.

Anyone know of one?

My favorite way is

This (note the notch in each end, these help when you need to remove the adapter and it's in the female 5/8 27)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/232827-REG/K_M_21500_000_01_Reducer_Bushing_Converts_1_2.html

on this

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?sku=546490&Q=&O=&gclid=Cj0KEQiA-aujBRDqj772vpGfgooBEiQAzWAZUgCQ7Dhk0vyuDMXBtP4eIbo8d7jxHNFvw438rKK0K20aAr6Y8P8HAQ&is=REG&A=details

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #160 on: November 18, 2014, 03:12:34 PM »
Don't forget the magic finger for that matthelinni... That is the piece that makes the whole setup totally versatile...
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #161 on: November 18, 2014, 04:59:41 PM »
It should be possible to tap the front of the superclamp (the part that looks like the upper jaw if you see the clamp as biting the rail). However :
  • you will need to take care that your device does not obstruct the clamp opening
  • you will note that the top side (the one with the spigot receiving hole / the top of the head in the previous image) already sports 5 threaded holes so that you could mount some kind of right angle bracket without making new holes in the clamp itself

Here's a place that sells them modified already.  Regarding the holes on the head - the center one is 1/4-20 which I've found useful - the others I can't tell and may be some sort of metric thread.  In any case, this company appears to have converted the center to 3/8-16, and one of the sides to 1/4-20.
http://freedom360.us/shop/super-clamp/
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline StarkRavingCalm

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #162 on: November 19, 2014, 09:23:54 AM »
Don't forget the magic finger for that matthelinni... That is the piece that makes the whole setup totally versatile...

Do you have a link?

Offline jcb

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #163 on: November 19, 2014, 01:23:06 PM »
I have been checking the threads on 2 Manfrotto super clamps :
  • first one is unmarked. center row from front to rear : M5, M6, M5. left 5.2mm not threaded (could be tapped for M6), right same as left
  • second one marked 1/4 W around the center hole is the same but for this center hole that is 1/4" 20TPI

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #164 on: November 19, 2014, 01:45:50 PM »
http://www.msegrip.com/2014catalog/cat42_hardware.pdf

The grip head is cool, too-they didn't have that when I bought the magic finger...
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.098 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com