Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Your Favorite In-Ear Headphones/Monitors (I hate calling them earbuds)  (Read 23340 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Your Favorite In-Ear Headphones/Monitors (I hate calling them earbuds)
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2009, 03:10:13 PM »
new grados... the iGi ($89) and GR8 ($299)

Intentional that the naming implies the $90 ones sound icky and the $300 ones sound great?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2009, 03:53:48 PM »
I really wish they'd stop using a lower case i to signify it's somehow meant to work best with an Apple product   ::)

SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Idle Wind

• Wishes He Could Get Out More..
  • Taperssection Member
  • YEEEWRAAAUGHHH... OOOOHHH..YEAAAHH
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2009, 05:44:08 PM »
anyone try the Klipsch S4s?  they make a set that integrates w/the iPhone 3GS as well.
Schoeps mk4, mk22, nbob actives
AKG 460 ck63 /ck8 nbob actives
AT853RX  - O/SC/C/H
PCM-M10 / DR-70D (N-Mod) / PMD 670 (Oade Mod) / Roland R07 / FR2-LE (Oade mod)
Platinum N-Box, Baby N-Box, SD MP-2, Naiant PFAs

Offline mosquito

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I am the Bug!
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2009, 10:55:17 PM »
Favorite?  Etymotic ER4.  I'd buy another set.  I use the 3-ring rubber (latex?) tips.  I had heard of them and couldn't justify the price for a while... until I got a deal from them at a trade show.  For me they come off as very clear and clean.  When I first got them I was really astonished that I could hear new things in recordings I'd heard dozens of times over decades.  (Of course, that last bit could prolly be said anytime someone moves over to high quality.)

Others: 

Shure  E2c -- They're OK.  They have moderate sound isolation.  I'm currently using these 'cause my Etymotics are broken.  They don't stay positioned well in my ears.  (Maybe too much wax?)

Skull Candy somethings... picked them up at a motorcycle gear store, of all places.  For the price (maybe $20) I've been very happy with them.

--

A separate question for folks:  what do you do to attenuate sounds when you want to monitor your recording at a loud show?  None of my earbud... err... in-ear monitors reduce other sounds enough for me.  I've wondered about getting some 'hearing protector muffs' that they use at shooting ranges, but don't really think that'll do what I want.  Suggestions?

stevetoney

« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2009, 11:36:53 PM »
^ It's less a function of how much the headphones attenuate sound, and more a function of how much your recorder can amplify the signal.  The only recorder I've had that has a decent headphone amp is the Sound Devices 7XX.  All the rest of them suck in comparison and don't amplify nearly enough to be able to offer decent monitoring capability during a show.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 11:43:11 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2009, 10:42:37 AM »
Yeah, when applied properly, the etys (and other sealing IEMs) can achieve close to 25 or 30db of attenuation, but after about 35, it's coming through your skull and not the ears. So you can wear the shooting range headsets (I've thought about it), in addition, but that will probably only garner another 5 or 7db, and after that it's hiding behind a seat or something as you arn't "hearing" it through conventional means. To overcome that, you have to just turn the headphone amp up which isn't a healthy idea.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2009, 05:02:34 PM »
I've worn shooter hearing protectors over the Ety ER4s (ety's installed in -30db blue foam earplugs) and it does increase isolation.. but honestly it's a bit too ridiculous to do regularly.

I think the ultimate answer will be active cancellation.  I've tested some AT in-ears with active cancellation as 'reverse hearing aids' - not plugged into any source, used only for cancellation - and they worked really well for lower volume, FOH amp'ed acoustic performances.  The sound of those phones is nothing to write home about, but using them that way was the most balanced sound attenuation I've heard.  They don't have nearly enough headroom for bass-heavy loud material where it is really needed though, otherwise I'd wear them all the time.  I've though of trying to hack them to use the mics & cancellation circuit with a portable headphone amp and the etys, but that's a bit beyond my electronics skills.  Let me know if any of you have applicable insight into doing that you'd care to share.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline jamesmcn

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2009, 09:14:46 AM »
Bump:

background: I used a set of ER-6s (not the "i"s, but the regular ER-6) for a long long time. Big fan of the bi-flange silicon tip. I agree that the microphonics of the cable reduced it to sitting (which I primarily did) and it's sort of a bright listening device. That said, my left channel seems to have died, so I picked up a set of UM3Xs from Westone.

I've found that microphonics on my ER-6is are significantly reduced if I run the cables forward out of my ear, and then up and back, tucking the cables behind my earlobes.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2009, 10:21:19 AM »
Bump:

background: I used a set of ER-6s (not the "i"s, but the regular ER-6) for a long long time. Big fan of the bi-flange silicon tip. I agree that the microphonics of the cable reduced it to sitting (which I primarily did) and it's sort of a bright listening device. That said, my left channel seems to have died, so I picked up a set of UM3Xs from Westone.

I've found that microphonics on my ER-6is are significantly reduced if I run the cables forward out of my ear, and then up and back, tucking the cables behind my earlobes.

Yeah, thats how my westones are designed for. I don't like it as much since I wear glasses, but it did reduce the microphonics.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2009, 09:59:20 AM »
Cable material makes a big difference too.  I recabled my Er4's with smoother, more flexible cable and the microphonics are greatly reduced.

Offline tedyun

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2009, 07:40:22 PM »
What kind of cable did you use? I just got a pair of triple driver UE Triple.fi 10 pros. Although I swore off IEMS after my Ety6's because of the microphonics, I got a great deal on a used pair, and man these sound unbelievable.

I'd be interested in recabling if I could find a source for the pins.

Cable material makes a big difference too.  I recabled my Er4's with smoother, more flexible cable and the microphonics are greatly reduced.
Mics: B&K 4011, Schoeps MK5 (Nbobs, Naiant PFA), Busman BSC-1 (K11/K21/K31/K41 caps), Church CA-14 (o, c), Church CAFS, Core Sound Binaurals
Pre: EAA PSP-2,  Lunatec V3, Nbox-Platinum, Church CA-9200
ADC: Mytek 192 ADC, Oade Mod SBM-1
Rec: Oade Supermod PMD-661, Tascam DR60D, M-Audio MicroTrack II, Korg MR-1 (32GB SSD mod); Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R09HR; iRiver HP-120
Photo: Canon 5D3, Canon EF-S 17-55mm f2.8, Canon EF 35mm f1.4L Canon EF 24-70 f2.8L MkI, Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS MkI, Canon EF 50 mm f1.4, Canon EF 50 f1.2L, Canon EF 300 f/4L IS, Canon EF 100-400 f4-5.6L IS MkI
Video: Canon HF100

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2009, 11:53:51 PM »
Bought them from Xin when he was making them inexpensively.  Here's his DIY page, scroll to the bottom of the page to the section titled Enhancement cords to see the version I have. The cords themselves appear to be simple, cheapo headphone cord, but is smooth and pliable with little noise transfer.  I much prefer these to the standard Ety cords.

Offline tedyun

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2009, 11:35:46 AM »
Very cool. Thanks for the link. I wonder if I can use the same pins through a circuit board to make the cable for the triple.fi's.

Bought them from Xin when he was making them inexpensively.  Here's his DIY page, scroll to the bottom of the page to the section titled Enhancement cords to see the version I have. The cords themselves appear to be simple, cheapo headphone cord, but is smooth and pliable with little noise transfer.  I much prefer these to the standard Ety cords.
Mics: B&K 4011, Schoeps MK5 (Nbobs, Naiant PFA), Busman BSC-1 (K11/K21/K31/K41 caps), Church CA-14 (o, c), Church CAFS, Core Sound Binaurals
Pre: EAA PSP-2,  Lunatec V3, Nbox-Platinum, Church CA-9200
ADC: Mytek 192 ADC, Oade Mod SBM-1
Rec: Oade Supermod PMD-661, Tascam DR60D, M-Audio MicroTrack II, Korg MR-1 (32GB SSD mod); Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R09HR; iRiver HP-120
Photo: Canon 5D3, Canon EF-S 17-55mm f2.8, Canon EF 35mm f1.4L Canon EF 24-70 f2.8L MkI, Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS MkI, Canon EF 50 mm f1.4, Canon EF 50 f1.2L, Canon EF 300 f/4L IS, Canon EF 100-400 f4-5.6L IS MkI
Video: Canon HF100

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2009, 02:14:17 PM »
er4 - worth it? i had a pair of er-6i and was super impressed with the isolation, though they somehow seemed to sound a little cheap and less detailed than even mdr-7506s. would love to get much better sound with the same excellent isolation. i have to admit, though, that falling asleep with the etymotics in your ears can be incredibly uncomfortable when you wake up.
any way i could give them a trial somehow?

Offline jamesmcn

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2009, 05:14:42 PM »
er4 - worth it? i had a pair of er-6i and was super impressed with the isolation, though they somehow seemed to sound a little cheap and less detailed than even mdr-7506s. would love to get much better sound with the same excellent isolation. i have to admit, though, that falling asleep with the etymotics in your ears can be incredibly uncomfortable when you wake up.
any way i could give them a trial somehow?

Which tips are you using with your ER6is? I used the triple-flange tips for about a year before I finally tried the smaller double-flange tips. The doubles fit my ears a lot better, and sound quality improved dramatically.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com