Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: HempAcoustics drivers  (Read 2103 times)

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
HempAcoustics drivers
« on: August 23, 2005, 11:17:31 AM »
http://www.hempacoustics.com/    :laugh: Canadian company, of course.

I guess these are just paper cones made with hemp.  I thought everyone had moved to composites for rigidity but the little blurb on the web page says that natural fiber is more natural sounding.  Anyone have a comment on this?  In any case, I thought this was entertaining.

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Weirdness

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • ...driftin' and dreamin'...
Re: HempAcoustics drivers
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 07:35:43 PM »
As if I needed another reason to be a proud Canadian citizen...

Anyways, the Mission Pilastro which is their current flagship speaker uses hemp drivers to do the mids.  They're supposed to be quite the speaker and are also worth a pretty penny, either $20,000US or Canadian retai I can't remember which.  A buddy of mine runs a pair but I have yet to have a chance to check them out. 

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 03:40:42 PM »
I followed the link to the Omega Speakers and they are in Norwalk CT. Thats on liek 20minutes away. Might have to call and see if they will let me check them out
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline Nick S.

• Taperssection Member
  • Gotta wear that coat
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 07:37:51 PM »
I've got 2 10 inch Tone Tubby speakers in one of my guitar cabinets, hemp cones . . . pretty sweet speakers, especially at lower volumes.  The big knock on them is that they are dark sounding, but not too much to my ears, I would call them smoother than many of the bright harsh speakers out there today . . . FWIW Clapton, Santana, Kimock, and Herring are a few of TT's players so they can't sound too shitty  8)
And your head is spinning from a loud guitar . . .

BobW

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 08:01:30 AM »
d00d !  (ahem)

B&W are arch-rivals of this idea with cone rigidity being one of their main tenants.

I think that any material that changes with humidity could be an issue.
My wife's car stereo sounds like ass when it's rainy with her factory paper cone speakers.
Hemp-cone speakers would have to be treated to not absorb moisture. It's basically a just type of paper.
I would guess that a bit of marketing is afoot.  Any plant-based material made into thin sheets is generically paper, with a lot of marsh grasses and other renewable resources being used today.

Hmm, I wonder if Cypress Hill sounds better on them   :P

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com