Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Thinking about getting a turntable  (Read 4654 times)

Offline scervin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Thinking about getting a turntable
« on: September 27, 2006, 06:30:45 PM »
So I've thought a bunch about this over the past year and seeing more and more albums is making me think hard about buying a turntable.  I had saved a bunch hoping to get a new pre/pro and amps, but when the wife told me I was going to be a dad those plans got put on hold.

I don't want to spend a ton maybe around $1K after it is all said and done.  Was first looking at getting the Music Hall MMF-7 or Rega P5, but I don't want to get a really nice turntable and skimp on the phono pre.  I'm looking at the Pro-Ject XpressionII and SE preamp.  I think if I really get into it and find myself with as much vinyl as CD's, I would maybe then look into the Clear Audio, Thorens, VPI. 

Are these like watches in that you either spend less than $200 or more than $1K??
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 07:24:14 PM by scervin »

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Thinking about getting a turntable
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 07:00:55 AM »
I say go for it!! I love my turntable, completely blows away my $4,000 digital front end without question. I only spent less then $1,000 for my analog front end to boot. I am running a VPI HW-19 with a modified Grado cart that I got for about $750, my pre-amp is a Cambridge Audio 640P for about $175.00. I spent a bunch of money in cleaning materials but average about $1.00 record when I buy a collection used from someone off Craigslist.com. Cheap money for such incredible sound.

I also bought a nice original Thorens when I bought my VPI & it sound amazing as well, I only paid $250.00 for it, you can't beat the sound of vinyl for the money. Eventually I am sure I will have a ton of money into my analog rig, it is so enjoyable. It is what music SHOULD sound like, I am hooked.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 07:20:20 AM »
I also keep thinking about it...but then I see my kids playing indoor frisbee with a fat copy of Europe '72

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 07:57:03 AM »
It just seems like the dynamics are totally gone when listening to a CD.  Starting to bug me a little.  I'll do some more looking and might head out to take a listen this weekend.

So what makes the turntable?  Is it in  the arm, cartridge, stylus, drive system, weight ??????

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 08:02:29 AM »
IMO, it is the whole enchilada. If I had to choose I would say the stylus first, then the arm, then everything else. There are a ton of options in the used market as you know but you really can't go wrong with a VPI in the higher end of the used price or a MMf or Rega in the lower end of the price spectrum. Stick with a major brand with a reputable arm. The cart is a personal preference & can be changed accordingly if you have the pre-amp for it.

TT's are a lot of fun, I appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into a nice turntable, total eye candy to me.

I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 08:29:02 AM »
I have a rega P3 with a grado gold cart...I finally sent in the cart to have the stylii replaced because it was bent.  When I did listen to a record it sounded great, much more organic and lively than its counterpart on cd which sounded articifical and boring. 

I would vote for a start rig, check out this site:  http://www.ttvj.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=8&zenid=1189ae564fac71b8e1e3dcb15501a141

Maybe a goldring is in your future or a Music Hall 2.1+a fancy cartridge.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 10:13:50 AM »
I've just started screwing around with my LP12 again. It needs a tune up and maybe new stylus and cart.. I really need a good phono pre.  A couple nights ago I was doing a test transfer into the 722.. I'm out of practice with the tt..  Completely forgot about it. The next morning I awoke to 6.25 hours of 24/96 (hard drive filled up).. 6 hours of which was just the center groove from tea for the tillerman. I'm thinking of seeding the groove part on dime  ;)

I haven't compared the original phono vs. digital yet.. The tt is connected to speakers that are poorly located. My VR4's are setup single source from a directly connected squeezebox3 > dna-125.

I think digital xfers from tt's give an interesting opportunity to compare tt component sound in a more controlled way.  So you could 'rip' an album with two different cartridges and then do the back to back blind comps that digital makes so easy.  Similarly, going into a store and ripping a record on several tt's would allow you to go home and continue the eval.. Just bring your own phono pre.

It would be interesting to compare a great stylus on a regular consumer table and arm vs. a good table with a lessor stylus.  I'm not sure I would put the priority on stylus over table and arm.. I have a pioneer that is a pretty decent consumer auto tt. It has a graphite/carbon kinda looking arm (probably just resin w/filler). I guess I should do a quick xfer. I know it could use a better cart..

Curious what you are using for cleaning, Carl.

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 10:33:51 AM »
I'm thinking of starting off with either the Goldring 1.2 or Pro Ject Xpression.  The cartridge in the Pro ject seems kinda crappy though.

SC

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 10:53:37 AM »
I built a very nice record cleaning machine out of a rolling cart, 1hp shop vac, old turntable platter & VPI cleaning wand. It looks like a pro unit & is the right height for cleaning. I will snap some pics later.

Scott, do you really want to buy new? Used is a better deal & there is plenty of info on how to set up a turntable using cheap basic tools. Some of the cheaper better tools are located here:
http://www.turntablebasics.com/align.html

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2006, 11:16:31 AM »
I've been looking used, but I'm not going to spend $1K+ on audiogon.  Not much else there.

BTW, that is a great page linked above!

sc
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 11:25:07 AM by scervin »

Offline jpschust

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2006, 05:24:39 PM »
get a scout with the jw-9.  man it rules.
Quote from: Todd Snider
They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain
97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain
I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime
99 percent think with 3 percent 100 percent of the time

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2006, 06:14:33 PM »
get a scout with the jw-9.  man it rules.

Wish I could, but again I'll have a newborn in 10 weeks so I can't be spending that kind of cash.

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2006, 06:20:25 PM »
The reality of it is that even a cheapie table will sound better then a digital rig. Too bad I don't still tape analpg like back in the old days!

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2006, 06:34:13 PM »
The reality of it is that even a cheapie table will sound better then a digital rig.

really? you get that much "bang for the buck"? I've never heard a good table, or a cheapie for that matter, on a hi-fi system.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2006, 07:12:08 PM »
The reality of it is that even a cheapie table will sound better then a digital rig.

really? you get that much "bang for the buck"? I've never heard a good table, or a cheapie for that matter, on a hi-fi system.

Seriously, I honestly feel you do. I can't really explain it until you hear it but it so organic. It just sounds "RIGHT", what it did for me was make me realize how horrible my digital front end sounds. I had to up the ante pretty seriously with my new DAC to even LISTEN to digital, the Benchmark had to go ASAP. That isn't a slam against the Benchmark either, it is a fine DAC but compared to a table, forget it. My new DAC makes digital a little more bearable for me & it is a top notch DAC! What that tells me is that you have to spend a lot more money in the digital relm to come close to even a meager analog set up. My digital front end costs almost 4X more than my analog front end, what does that tell you :o

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com