Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zhaolu -- Any experience with this headphone amp(and D>A)?  (Read 2746 times)

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ***Team Schoeps***
Zhaolu -- Any experience with this headphone amp(and D>A)?
« on: January 31, 2007, 09:13:37 AM »
http://www.ifiaudio.com/d2.html

The newly launched Zhaolu D2 advanced DAC/headphone amp is nearly a complete revamp of it’s predecessor, the ever popular D1.x series. The new front plate combines a black and a contour shaped silver aluminum. The front plate features headphone volume control, power switch, headphone output, input source switching and LED status indicators. The new D2 series house an all new internal design: new R type transformer, added headphone (audio) input and output as well as fixed RCA audio and balanced audio output.

The Zhaolu 2.0 offers the flexibility of choosing between three different high quality DAC chips all of which have their own unique sonic flavor. The DAC chip and it's supporting components are seated on a user-upgradeable socket board.

The headphone amplifier has been greatly improved from the headphone amplifier in the D1.x series offering the ability to drive even the toughest loads presented by headphones. The stock amplifier can be upgraded to an all discrete/fet based headphone amplifier module for the ultimate in performance.

Model    DAC Chip        OP Amps  Price*
D2C    CS4398       OPA2604    $200

I wrote the company/email listed, and it does handle 24/192.  For $200 this seems like a great deal!

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
Re: Zhaolu -- Any experience with this headphone amp(and D>A)?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 09:41:54 AM »
I would love to hear this DAC, I read a bunch of good things about the older one. If you get it let me know what your thoughts are. Seems too good to be true.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline ehren

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Of course this is a taper ticket!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 03:06:45 AM »
I think I'm going to pick one up and see what it's like 8)

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 09:37:18 AM »
I'm intrigued by this as well.  As much as I'd love to pick up a Grace M901/M902, I don't have the ching.  I might try one out for a DAC.  I see there are several places that offer upgrades after a quick google search.  Anyone know of the best upgrades / configs?
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 10:34:38 AM »
interesting.
I'd love to hear this against my CIA

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 03:45:36 PM »
Looks like the majority of members at Head-Fi run a Zhaolu mod'd by a guy named Eddie in Hong Kong.

http://www.diykits.com.hk/dac.html

The DAC 7.2x on his site comes with a remote & looks pretty cool.

It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline tenesejedd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Never trust a woman who wears her pants too tight
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 12:16:38 AM »
Did anyone ever end up trying one of these? I just got a new computer (first step in putting together a respectable DAW), so now i'm looking to put other pieces of the puzzle together.
Avantone CK-1>Busman T-Mod FR2-LE
Edirol R-1

I see you scissoring me with your eyes...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com