Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: UA-5 Digi Switch mod  (Read 1925 times)

Offline run_run_run

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
UA-5 Digi Switch mod
« on: April 04, 2008, 10:09:14 PM »
I think I am going to pick up a  digied UA5 again to go with some nak guns, but I want to use it for playback as well. First off can you go optical out of your computer and playback tunes with the normal digi mod? Or do you need to go USB out with it digi switched for playback?  If I need a digi switch mod whats best for me to get, a stock unit and have someone digi switch it or get a digied modded unit and then have someone switch it?

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
Re: UA-5 Digi Switch mod
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 01:03:30 AM »
I just bought this from Dave and it is in the mail.  He did the switch himself.  You should pm him for more info.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=101557.0
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics:
Schoeps: CMC6 x 4, CMC1K x 2, KC 5G x 2, MK4,MK4V,MK41,MK21,MK22,MK8 x 2
Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+
Telefunken: TF-11 x 2, ELA M 260 x 4, M960FS x 2, TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2, M60,TK60 x2
AKG: c426b, AKG c34, nBob Actives>PFA x4, CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2
AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres:
Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs:
Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline daco63

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • www.dcguitars.com
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 04:18:07 PM »
I think I am going to pick up a  digied UA5 again to go with some nak guns, but I want to use it for playback as well. First off can you go optical out of your computer and playback tunes with the normal digi mod? Or do you need to go USB out with it digi switched for playback? 
I'm not sure about playback from an optical path...  That might work.  You already have some kind of optical out from your PC?

If you want to go through USB, you do need to "undo" the digi-mod connections somehow.  The standard digi-mod doesn't work for USB playback.  There is a digi-SWITCH mod, so you can go back and forth, described here: http://album.he.fi/hessu/ua5-switch-modified/  Fairly straightforward with lots of detailed pictures if you (or someone you know) can do a little soldering.
If I need a digi switch mod whats best for me to get, a stock unit and have someone digi switch it or get a digied modded unit and then have someone switch it?
  From stock is easier depending on who's doing it.  It would take a bit of care to figure out the conversion from digied to digi-switch, but not much more actual soldering, if someone was familiar with both mods.  I think there are a couple different versions of the digi-mod out there, so you'd need to figure out what exactly was changed originally to make it work...  Starting from stock is most straight forward, for sure.

The stock UA-5 outputs work just fine, but Busman's BMP2+ mod improves the caps and opamps on the RCA outs (as well as greatly improving the mic pre's).  If you ever want to upgrade the sound, his mods are absolutely worth the money, IMO.

Good luck!
- Dave
IN: AKG c480b + ck61 > DIY Canare/Neutrik > W+ UA-5 > laptop > live webcasting! (Carrick House Concerts on A3 Radio)
OUT: laptop > iBasso D2-Viper (rolled) > B2031a/AKG240

Offline run_run_run

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 04:39:30 PM »
Thanks +T

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com