Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Dead CF card?  (Read 4865 times)

Offline Ziggz

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Dead CF card?
« on: April 29, 2010, 05:49:50 AM »
I was recording on my iRiver today and when I looked at the screen a couple of hours later, there was a fatal error message- something along the lines of can't write to the disk.
Put the card in a card reader, and couldn't access it (XP). Plugged into Ubuntu I could access the files and copy them off. Nuked the partition in Gparted, formatted it to FAT32, put the Rockbox folder back. Can read/write to it in Ubuntu, but XP dones't want to know - unrecognized device error. The iRiver also denies its existence. It shows up as a removable drive in Vista, but I can't access it - please insert disk into drive x error.

Time to replace this card? Seems strange that Ubuntu has no problems accessing it  ???

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: Dead CF card?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 06:30:07 AM »
For the price of media these days I would replace it to be on the safe side.

I had a card go bad once for seemingly no reason. Chalked it up to bad luck.

I have had the best luck reading bad media (cards, hard drives) with Linux. Don't know why.

EDIT: Just saw this. Maybe it will help you as well:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=134563.0
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 06:47:29 AM by Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B) »
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Ziggz

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 07:13:18 AM »
Yeah, I think I'll get a Kingston card to replace this one. It was the cheapest I could find at the time when attempting the CF mod, a 4gb A-data "Speedy". It's had 2 good years. This is a good excuse to put in a bigger card  ;) Luckily I was just taping a boring presentation at work and not a gig  ;D

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 10:34:21 AM »
Well on the bright side, if ubuntu still sees it, you can use it to hold data for linux but sounds like the rockbox doesn't want anything to do with it.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com