Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: UA-5 warm-mod specs  (Read 3750 times)

Offline Salsa Brava

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Only a fool is thursty when the well is full.
UA-5 warm-mod specs
« on: February 14, 2006, 02:00:30 PM »
Does anyone have a copy of the Oade brothers UA-5 warm mod specs?  The links to the Edirol information on Oade's site seem to be out.  I have not seen to many of these up for sale.  What is a fair price to unload one?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: UA-5 warm-mod specs
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 02:02:43 PM »
AFAIK, there are no published Oade Bros specs (or Edirol for that matter).  For an idea of pricing, check the Yard Sale - various flavored Oade-modded UA5s hit the forum regularly.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline stigs

• Fratboy Meathead
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Lame Duck Sessions > Monkey Drum Jam
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 03:30:36 PM »
i bought mine for $450 a couple months ago and see them mostly between 400 and that price, depending on the usage and condition
-Stigs

Peluso CEMC-6 > Segue Dogstar 15' XLRs > BM2P+ UA-5 > SP Optical Cable > Nomad JB3  w. SVU-1 & Macbook Core 2 Duo

Team Pittsburgh

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 11:45:42 PM »
I have one for sale in the YS now.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 11:46:19 PM »
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 02:50:10 PM »
someone should just cut open the seal on their Oade mod'd UA-5 and find out what's in there, then do the mod's themselves for less money. to get my UA-5 mod'd with a T/P/W+ mod would be nearly $400 more than I've already spent! the market on these isn't as hot right now either so there's no telling how long it would take to unload one if I didn't want it anymore. I'm not trying to take business away from them because obviously they've been a HUGE part of our community for many, many years... but the price is a bit exorbitant for these mod's IMO, and it's simply because they have a captive audience. more power to them, I guess, but the market is flooded with these units now and an extra $400 just isn't worth the sound difference to my ears. :-\
"Absurdity is the only reality." - FZ

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006, 03:50:03 PM »
someone should just cut open the seal on their Oade mod'd UA-5 and find out what's in there, then do the mod's themselves for less money.

I believe the Oade Bros remove identifying marks from the replacement components they use, so opening it up won't provide one with the ability to duplicate the W/P/T mods, anyway.

but the price is a bit exorbitant for these mod's IMO, and it's simply because they have a captive audience.

Captive?  Hardly.  Anyone who wishes is welcome to mod their own.  And Busman2 offers his own flavored mods.  Besides, the Oade Bros have put time and money into developing the mods, in addition to the labor involved in producing them.  They're entitled to reap the benefits of their hard work.  Whether the price is exorbitant or not depends on one's perspective.  Considering the price tag, I'll still stack up my T+ UA5 against any but the best pres/ADCs out there - and even against the best it compares mightily favorably.  I don't know of another pre/ADC out there (at the moment), at the same price point, that can do the same.

more power to them, I guess, but the market is flooded with these units now and an extra $400 just isn't worth the sound difference to my ears. :-\

So...sell your current UA5 and pick up a W/P/T mod on the used market - that'll shave your $400 upgrade price down a fair amount.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2006, 04:42:13 PM »
someone should just cut open the seal on their Oade mod'd UA-5 and find out what's in there, then do the mod's themselves for less money.

I believe the Oade Bros remove identifying marks from the replacement components they use, so opening it up won't provide one with the ability to duplicate the W/P/T mods, anyway.

but the price is a bit exorbitant for these mod's IMO, and it's simply because they have a captive audience.

Captive?  Hardly.  Anyone who wishes is welcome to mod their own.  And Busman2 offers his own flavored mods.  Besides, the Oade Bros have put time and money into developing the mods, in addition to the labor involved in producing them.  They're entitled to reap the benefits of their hard work.  Whether the price is exorbitant or not depends on one's perspective.  Considering the price tag, I'll still stack up my T+ UA5 against any but the best pres/ADCs out there - and even against the best it compares mightily favorably.  I don't know of another pre/ADC out there (at the moment), at the same price point, that can do the same.

more power to them, I guess, but the market is flooded with these units now and an extra $400 just isn't worth the sound difference to my ears. :-\

So...sell your current UA5 and pick up a W/P/T mod on the used market - that'll shave your $400 upgrade price down a fair amount.

good idea to sell my current digi-mod and just buy someone's else premod'd unit straight out... I was thinking the same thing but am not sure I'd save that much. although I think a wmod just sold for $420 in the yard sale... add the + mod to it and I'm still under $550. many of the W/P/T+ mods are selling for $600+ though, so there isn't much savings anywhere if I sell my existing digimod for $200-250. but hey, $50 is $50.

by captive audience, I'm referring to their specific mods. I know I'm free to mod it myself or have Busman do it but if I want the sound that Oade offers through his W/P/T+ mod, I'm forced to get it from him.... unless, again, I can find a steal of a deal in the open market.

I've heard nothing but positive remarks regarding the mods as compared to other high-priced preamps. I didn't know he scratched off the descriptive info on the mod chips... that makes it even more difficult to replicate. thanks for the info, Brian.

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline ehren

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Of course this is a taper ticket!
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006, 05:42:16 PM »
someone should just cut open the seal on their Oade mod'd UA-5 and find out what's in there, then do the mod's themselves for less money. to get my UA-5 mod'd with a T/P/W+ mod would be nearly $400 more than I've already spent! the market on these isn't as hot right now either so there's no telling how long it would take to unload one if I didn't want it anymore. I'm not trying to take business away from them because obviously they've been a HUGE part of our community for many, many years... but the price is a bit exorbitant for these mod's IMO, and it's simply because they have a captive audience. more power to them, I guess, but the market is flooded with these units now and an extra $400 just isn't worth the sound difference to my ears. :-\

I sold my wmod+ in two days for $650! The pmod's are the only ones that are tough to move, at least from what I've observed. Which is kind of silly since they all sound great.

spearheadtaper

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2006, 01:41:30 AM »
I am very happy with my warm mod ....  420 is your number

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2006, 04:08:34 PM »
8)  Want to have some feeelthy pictures of a P-mod  :wink2:

eh, I wouldn't know what to do with them anyway. :lol:

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.106 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com