Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: R1 First Impressions  (Read 9242 times)

Offline EA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: R1 First Impressions
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2005, 10:47:53 AM »

Me too.  as of right now, it doesn't seem any more useful than a Jukebox3.  In fact, it seems less useful, since it uses CF and not a 40gb hd.

I'd love to see this thing mod'd for a digi input, but I am not sure that's going to be coming from Oade any time soon.

The thing that makes this more useful than a JB3 is that it records in 24/96.
Why is there no boxing in the special olympics?

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2005, 10:57:58 AM »
Records up to 24/44.1. I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on this one, because I know as soon as I buy it, another company will announce one that does 24/96 and has a digital input.

Having bought a 2nd Gen ipod just to have the 3rd Gen come out 3 months later, I'm a little gunshy for this reason.

Offline EA

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2005, 12:02:47 PM »
Records up to 24/44.1. I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on this one, because I know as soon as I buy it, another company will announce one that does 24/96 and has a digital input.

Having bought a 2nd Gen ipod just to have the 3rd Gen come out 3 months later, I'm a little gunshy for this reason.

Ahh you're right. It's the R4 that's 24/96. But still, 24 bit is a big difference even if it's 44.1. In any case, I too am not rushing out to buy one. But I do think that these have a lot more potential than the JB3 considering the JB3 is already out of production (with no repair service available from Creative unless its warranty).
Why is there no boxing in the special olympics?

Offline weed2k

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2005, 09:41:11 PM »
A firmware update (1.03) has been released, which has improved cf support. So 4gb cf cards are finally supported :). Its out since dezember but only on roland.jp.
can anyone translate the change log?

Offline Popmarter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2005, 03:41:54 AM »
A firmware update (1.03) has been released, which has improved cf support. So 4gb cf cards are finally supported :). Its out since dezember but only on roland.jp.

Does this mean you can record 4gb in once, or is there still the 2gb limit?
Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

Offline weed2k

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2005, 09:22:51 AM »
good question im gonna test it. yesterday i had this 4gb issue (before i updated to 1.03). i pressed the record button and it was ready to go, then i pressed it again to start the record, after 2 secs it just stopped the record.. i firstly thought something is broken, but after i updated the firmware, it worked again.

Offline nick

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2005, 09:47:08 AM »
Hi,

Has any one any experience of recording live bands with the R1? I was hoping it night be good to have one of these to record my youth Big Band (jazz) at rehersal & in performance.

Does the 105 spl figure that Doug mentioned raise a question on it's potential for my intended purpose? 

Am I right in concluding that this is only an issue for the internal mics & that an external mic - I have a Rode NT4 - could manage better  the noise that the big band going at full steam will create? I am obviously trying to avoid distortion!

Finally - it's still probably to early, but has any one heard any demos other than the edirol sax/guitar & Dougs studio recording?

Sorry for all the questions.

Any advice would be greatfully received.

Many thanks,

Nick

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (1)
    • My Recordings
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2005, 02:14:35 PM »

I don't see anything about file sizes over 2gb.

System program (Ver.1.03) 2004.12.21 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- * R-1 system program? * The modification point * verification method of those which are necessary for the update of R-1 & the version which * the point of caution in update job (the importance) * download procedure & installation procedure & other notices * the system program rise data -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- * R-1 system program? This system program is the system program which is used in order to update R-1 in up-to-date version. (It can update from with either of Ver.1.01, Ver,1.02.) * When the modification point (* version is verified, please view this.) [ Ver.1.02- Ver.1.03 ] Tune while playing back the file, in order to be able to do smooth rewind fast forward, operation was modified. [ PREV ] / [ NEXT ] while pushing the button, sound is not played back, only time indication rewinds and/is advanced. When the button is separated, it starts playback from the point of the time indication. MP3 the case of sound recording, you did not use the tmp folder as the temporary retention folder, in order directly to form the MP3 file, you modified. (The tmp folder stops being formed.) In recording the case where button operation is done turning the HOLD switch to a ON operation was corrected. Level it did again to stipulate the relationship between the graduation and sound recording level of meter, at a wider level to be able to verify the input signal tried. The graduation which is indicated in display in the occasion where input level adjustment is done (* number) with relationship with signal level after the digitalizing becomes like below. * Several signal levels (dB) * several signal levels (dB) it is not - XXINF? -50.0 8 -21.0? -18.0 1 -50.0? -40.0 9 -18.0? -15.0 2 -40.0? -36.0 10 -15.0? -12.0 3 -36.0? -33.0 11 -12.0? - 9.0 4 -33.0? -30.0 12 - 9.0? - 6.0 5 -30.0? -27.0 13 - 6.0? - 3.0 6 -27.0? -24.0 14 - 3.0? 0.0 7 -24.0? -21.0 15 0.0 (clip) [ Ver.1.01- Ver.1.02 ] When the new compact flash (the compact flash of product attachment is included) and the compact flash which is used with the other equipment, uses for the first time with R-1, the format after doing, without turning off power with R-1 itself, continuing, when you record, it corrected the problem which has the fact that the data is not just retained. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- * in order to install the system program in those R-1 which are necessary for the update of R-1, below-mentioned ones become necessary. R-1 itself R-1 attachment USB cable Compact 1 flash (with compact flash of R-1 attachment possibility) * Being something which the format is done with R-1, it is necessary to be being less crowded above 2MB. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- * before doing the verification methodological download of version, please check the version of R-1. 1. The power source of R-1 itself is turned off. 2. The memory card slot cover is opened and the eject button is pushed, the compact flash is removed. 3. After turning on power source, [ MENU ] the button is pushed. 4. When the VALUE dial is turned and "13:Update Firmware" is selected, "Ver*. *" with present version is indicated in display. * When it has already become up-to-date version, it is not necessary to update. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- * the point of caution in update job (the importance) * Please do not use this system program, for the product other than R-1. There is a data of the other equipment and a possibility the system being impaired. * During update job please connect the AC adapter which belongs to R-1. Please do not work under any condition with power source supply with the electric battery. * The customer and when the download which cannot procure the system program cannot make good, update job is received. The store where you seek, or, please consult to the Roland place of business and the Roland service station. * We cannot answer to the inquiry of operating procedure and the like of the installation regarding this system program. Please acknowledge beforehand. The information which is written here we request job on the basis of, in self responsibility. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- * download procedure 0 Windows in case of errand please download R1_update_103.EXE in the suitable folder. 0 Macintosh in case of errand please download R1_update_103.sit.hqx in the suitable folder. - Because the file which in case of errand downloads thawing 0 Windows the data compressed file has become the self extract type file, double clicking the idea contest from the explorer, please thaw. When thawing ends, the R1_update_103 folder appears, among those, roland.bin (the system update program) the temporary folder which enters appears. Because the file which in case of errand downloads 0 Macintosh has become file format of the Stuffit archive, after the downloading with Stuffit Expander and the like please thaw. When thawing ends, the R1_update_103 folder appears, among those, roland.bin (the system update program) the temporary folder which enters appears. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- * procedure of installation procedure update is as follows. * Until update completes, please do not turn off the power of R-1 itself no matter what midway. * LCD contrast, record mode (recording type), setting of effect and the like is initialized by update. Important setting in advance the male is completed does that memo it does. 1. The power source of R-1 is turned off. 2. The compact flash is set to R-1. 3. The power source of R-1 is turned on. 4. R-1 and the computer are connected with the USB cable. - R-1 is recognized in the computer. 5. The temporary folder which it thaws, every folder is copied in the route directory of R-1. 6. The connection of R-1 and the computer is removed with method below. < The safe removal of R-1 > * Windows in case of errand is indicated in the task bar under the picture right, after with "the removal of the device", cancelling the connection with R-1, you remove the USB cable which connects R-1 and the computer. * Macintosh in case of errand after throwing away the idea contest of the compact flash of R-1 in the trash box, you remove the USB cable which connects R-1 and the computer. 7. With the power source of R-1 once as an off, it turns on for the second time. 8. [ MENU ] The button is pushed. 9. Turning the VALUE dial, it selects "13:Update Firmware". 10 [ ENTER ] The button is pushed. - Indication below appears. 13: Update Firmware 1.01? > 1.03 [ ENTER ] * The present version of R-1 of use is indicated in 1.01 places. * When like below in indication, Update Firmware and indication are not done, the copy of the update program to the compact flash does not do. Repeatedly procedure from beginning with the power source of R-1 as an off. Setup Select 13: Firmware Ver1 0 * 11. [ ENTER ] the button is pushed for the second time. - Indication below appears. 13: Update Firmware Are You Sure? [ ENTER ] 12. [ ENTER ] the button is pushed for the second time. - Indication below appears. Now Working Do not remove card! About 20 seconds it is required for update. < Note > While description above is indicated, never please do not turn off the power source of R-1, do not pull out コンパクトフラシュ. - When update completes, or less is indicated. Completed! - When it leaves that way for a while, the system restarts. 13 When restart ends, while turning off the power source of R-1 once, [ ENTER ] pushing the button it turns on power source. It completed update job with this. Verification method of version in regard to viewing, please verify that version is renewed. 14. When you can verify that version is renewed, connecting R-1 to the computer for the second time, every temporary folder the format please eliminate from the route directory of R-1, or do the compact flash with R-1 itself. It attaches -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- & other notices * we prohibit the fact that without permission to reprinting, alteration and the magazine products on the market etc. to other network of the file which was recorded. * The Roland corporation altogether does not owe responsibility what damage which it occurs from use of this software or unserviceable (loss and other money losses etc. of the profit and the data) to in regard. It is similar even with when even if, it has informed beforehand from the Roland corporation concerning the possibility of that kind of damage. * Bunchu trade mark and registered trade mark belong to the respective company. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- * system program rise data [ System program ] 460,921 bytes [ System program ] 591,939 bytes --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Retired Taper

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2005, 09:27:00 PM »
I'm under the impression that the 2gb thing is a .wav format issue, and not a firmware issue with any recorder.  Could be wrong though...
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline RRobar

• Mac Design Geek
  • "It's allgood ....brah!"
    • Headway Graphixx
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2005, 03:09:51 PM »
George, install the linux mod to your iPod and record there. Still no digi in but it will record 24/44.1. At some point I plan on trying this out on my 2nd gen 20 GB iPod. There is a thread somehwhere on the forum.

And yes the 2 GB is a limitation of the .wav file format.
Need Graphic Design Work? Goto http://www.headwaygraphixx.com

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2005, 03:16:44 PM »
George, install the linux mod to your iPod and record there. Still no digi in but it will record 24/44.1. At some point I plan on trying this out on my 2nd gen 20 GB iPod. There is a thread somehwhere on the forum.

So this is only for Gen 2 ipods? Does the headphone out work as a mini line in?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com