Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: FIRST RUN: Nak701's > V3 Observations  (Read 2064 times)

Offline LeftoverSammy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • MG's FUCKIN' A!!
FIRST RUN: Nak701's > V3 Observations
« on: December 15, 2003, 12:22:29 PM »
Hey Now - Ran my new V3 with the Nak701's at SCI this weekend for the first time (Friday & Saturday). Some general observations made perhaps someone can comment on:

Setup: Nak701's (ORTF) > Luminous Audio PS > V3 > D8
Next to SBD, approx. 50ft from stage on front of TS line.

1. Had us setup right next to SBD in very close location to the stage - great sound for this venue (just at edge of overhang of the balcony). One thing I noticed was that I had to crank the V3 up to 55db setting (second highest) on the mic gain to get my levels correct. Now considering that my mod Nak701's have a -15bd attenuator barrel attached to the capules most likely have atten. the signal down as such that it forced the V3 to be cranked up higher??? Still a very clean signal but aside from changing out the -15db atten. barrel (not an option) what else can I do to boost my signals up higher so I don't have to crank the V3 so much?? In line transformers??? Any idea's?? Anyone else who run the mod 700's with the atten. have this issue with the V3 or MMe??

2. Second observation was that the first night sounded a little on the boomy side on the low end. Recognizing that the Nak700's have a strong low end I ran the second night on HPF #2 setting to take advantage of the lowend pass filter. The results of the second night were flat out amazing!! The first night was also very good, but I prefer the lowpass in that setting much better. Should this be the rule of thumb for running the V3 with these mics or was this partial to the venue (thus being a judgment call for each venue I run at). What is the rules of engangment for the HPF settings??? Experiences with others??

Otherwise I REALLY liked the V3>Nak701 combo!! With the lowpass it sounded very clean and crisp on the highend with amazing detail and speed!!

Looking for feedback and tips!!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2003, 10:45:21 PM by LeftoverSammy »
Microtech Gefell SMS2000's (M20 & M21 caps) > Luminous Audio Monarch II's or Audio Magic Silvers > MixPre 3
Grace Designs V3
Marantz PMD661
Core Sound Stealthy Cardiod mics > Battbox> Tascam DR-7

Former Nak CM300 & CM700 Vet (CP1, CP2, CP3 & CP4 caps), MX-100

Its 420.....24/7.....365!! :-)

Offline Tim

• Needs to get out more...
Re:FIRST RUN: V3>Nak701's Observations
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2003, 12:30:12 PM »
So the 15db attenuators cannot be removed? That would be my first move. If that's not possible I think that your cleanest source of additional gain will be from the V3. I'd just crank it.

I've always found the use of a HPF or rolloff to be a real judgment call based on a combination of: your knowledge of the gear involved, the mic configuration and pattern, your knowledge of the room and the pa and the band.  
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2003, 05:23:34 PM »
yea, run it hot, its what it was designed for, high gain with little noise added.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline utahtaper

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2003, 04:07:44 AM »
Yikes! that's pretty high. I've never ran past 35+ even on accoustic shows.
Recording:
SKM 140's>LC3>ACM660

Playback:
Tascam DA30MKII DAT player
Jolida Tube CD player

Sota Saphire w/grado TLZ> Melos 333> Melos 400 monoblocks> Legacy Focus

Mcintosh MR71>c22>MC60 monoblocks

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2003, 07:49:10 AM »
I've run up to +60dB on an amplified acoustic show or two, only 6 rows back.  Yoiks!
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com