Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ARCHOS GMINI 402 Help  (Read 1816 times)

Offline jimfo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
ARCHOS GMINI 402 Help
« on: March 04, 2006, 04:11:26 AM »
Hey Now,

Sorry to bother everyone, but I've searched the forums and the web for quite a while looking for info on the Archos GMINI 402.  I can't seem to find any info on recording levels, if they are easily able to be monitored and adjusted while recording.  I'm relatively new to taping, been using a *gasp* cassette deck for sbd feeds for a long time, then moved up to MD, but my recorder broke.  I've also done some simple recording for a band on a Boss BR-1180 HD recorder.   Now I finally have the opportunity to go digital for real.  I'm looking for a hard drive recorder similar to the JB3 but a little more fancy, portable, battery powered, and something with a nice backlit screen and good recording level options...Does anyone have any helpful info for a newbie on this machine?  I was thinking about this package here...

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?item=SP-GIGATRACKER

It looks pretty ideal for what I wanna do, which is typically record from an RCA sbd feed,  but I'd also like the ability to plug in mics eventually.  I've looked far and wide for more info on this thing...It appears that the only input is analog 1/8 inch headphone size via an included adapter?  Does anyone use this setup and know the pros and cons of it for live recording?  Most all the info I've found on this device seems to be more related to the video capabilities...I'm not interested in video, just recording live audio.  Any info on any related equipment that might work better would be appreciated as well.

Thank you for any help anyone might be able to offer, I appreciate it!

Offline Thom Joad

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Team TNT!
Re: ARCHOS GMINI 402 Help
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 08:13:32 AM »
I've run an Archos Gmini400 for about a year now as my backup/stealth deck.  It's the same as the 402 in terms of audio, I think the 402 has some sort of upgraded video, but like you, I really don't care about that.

Yes, you can only go 1/8" analog line in through this adapter thingy.  The internal ADC in it isn't really that bad, and compares with the internal in my D10ProII. 

The recording levels are really great.  Best I've seen yet.  They are  16 segment total with 11 green, 3 yellow and 2 red.  When you hit red you are just at clipping.  You can adjust the levels (only both, no L and R seperate) wihle recording.  The screen backlight is really nice and bright.  Good for open situations, but not so nice for stealth.  Good part for stealthing with it is the screen shuts off after 30 seconds of no user input.  I stealth with it all the time, you just have to be really carefull when you check your levels.  Battery life is great.  I can do a 3 hour show and have 2 of the 4 battery life bars left.  It's defintiely small (exactly the size and layout of the old original Nintendo game controllers).  It has a "hold" feature which is nice when it's packed away somewhere.  I bought mine outright when they first came out, so I don't know much about the soundpro's version.  I've never had any trouble with mine.

Offline corsair

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 02:57:33 PM »
I've used the Gmini 400, which is similar to the 402 for stealth taping..
The standard adapter to go line-in with the recorder is lousy...
If you're not getting the gigatracker at all, get the alternate
adapter from SP instead:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-ARCHOS-GMINI-CABLE

Also, do note the recording level adjustment is only digital attenuation to
the incoming signal, and not gain adjustment. If you really desire to
tape eventually with mics, consider getting a preamp as well.
Audio-Technica ES943/C's -> Home-made 3-wire battery box -> Tascam DR-07

Offline jimfo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 11:35:34 PM »
Thanks a lot guys, really appreciate it.  Exactly the info I was looking for.  Also esp the info about the adapter, I was thinking the upgrade was a better choice.  But I think if I get this I will go with the gigatracker bundle with the case and preamp. 

Moderators-
I'm sorry you had to move my thread, I thought that would be the best place for it, but did debate putting it here...

Thanks again!

peace

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com