Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SS08 USB binaural mic from Optivelox  (Read 5117 times)

Offline tomtom69

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
SS08 USB binaural mic from Optivelox
« on: June 16, 2017, 07:31:13 AM »
Did someone used this mics with a smartphone already?
http://optivelox.50webs.com/ss0x/ss08.html#LayoutGridHeader

I think about to use this one with a Samsung J5.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: SS08 USB binaural mic from Optivelox
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 01:35:55 PM »
Looks interesting. Hopefully they sounds good. Not sure I'd really expect stellar recordings out a 99 Euro stereo mic + A>D though.

Still more options for shows with extra security are welcome.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline down2earthlandscaper

• Gear Collector (Slut/Hoarder) and Multiple-Rig Maniac
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 03:48:17 PM »
Just curious - how still do you have to be when using something like this?

I was at a show with eyeglass mounted omnis and I really didint care that much about the recording so decided to dance somewhat freely and when I tried to listen to the recording later it mad me want to vomit. Literally. made me dizzy and queazy. (Assuming all of this was because of the motion) Just wondering if the binaurals are the same
Mics: CA-14(cards & omnis) and CA-11(cards & omnis) ; AT853's(cards, hypers, mini shotguns); Busman BSC-1 (cards, hypers, omnis)
Nakamichi CM300's (CP-1,2,3,4) Nakamichi CM700's (cards, omnis)
Tascam PE-120's (cards, omnis) Countryman B2D
DPA 4061's DPA 4022's; DPA 4080; AKG 480 ck61 and ck63; Naiant AKG Active Cables
Preamps: CA-9100; Naiant Tinybox (12v/48v + PIP 8V); Naiant Littlebox;
DPA MPS6030; Sound Device Mix Pre-D
Decks: Mixpre 10T and 6; Roland R-07; Marantz PMD620; Sony PCM M10; Edirol R-4; Zoom H6; Marantz PMD-661; Sound Devices 722

Offline tomtom69

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 11:41:06 AM »
Still more options for shows with extra security are welcome.

That's the reason why I'm looking for alternatives.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 01:45:06 PM »

For Omni's you definitely have the option to move around a little bit, but you still should be facing the sound source. Bobbing your head and maybe looking side to side (slightly) is okay. Doing 360's...not ok.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

mfrench

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 09:17:51 AM »

I was at a show with eyeglass mounted omnis and I really didint care that much about the recording so decided to dance somewhat freely and when I tried to listen to the recording later it mad me want to vomit. Literally. made me dizzy and queazy. (Assuming all of this was because of the motion) Just wondering if the binaurals omnis are the same

Yes.  With omnis in binaural configuration,... if you move, at all, so does your playback imaging.

Offline carpa

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 06:50:40 PM »
There i also this one from Optivelox  http://optivelox.50webs.com/ss0x/ss07.html
It's not a binaural system but  an audio interface to be used both with a stereo mic supplied by them or with whatever else stereo mic terminating with stereo minijack.
The firm is located in italy not far from where I live ( 100 km), but it seems that these product never get on the market. They launched a fundraising campaign last year for this product ( the one I posted) but I don't think they raised what expected.
When I saw the announce in 2016 I wrote an email to them in order to have some more infos, looking for an easy way to improve the audio in smartphone videos.
What they answered was that this USB interface can't directly record on video app but, in parallel, on a dedicated audio recording app ( probably also with other audio apps). So you would have your smartphone doing two recordings at the same time, a "normal" video recording with internal mics and a better audio recording, to be coupled in post.
So, apart from eventual crashing problems due to a huge he phone has to bear vs. the advantage of having a single device, it seem this toy doesn't mean a real step-up compared to a separate audio recorder.
This is referred to the product I posted - SS07 - not to this SS08; however, it seems to me they share the same concept.

Offline weroflu

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 03:07:53 AM »
I think the ss07 would have a lot of utility for people here, if the ad actually sounds decent. It looks like it provides 4.5V pip, works with line in and mic in. For audio only it eliminates the need for a dedicated recorder. Very small form factor, I may procure.

Offline weroflu

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 09:31:46 AM »
doh, I already had a portable solution for my android phone but didn't even realize it. The miyo is powered well from my phone, the dac works fine, no reason to think the adc won't work. I used the app 'field recorder', it does 24/96 stereo.

Offline webvan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2018, 03:30:26 AM »
Has anyone been able to get an update on that product ? It looks pretty promising but it doesn't seem like their funding campaign got underway. They already make other products so it seems they could market the SS08 and SS08p directly to get some traction...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com