Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Microtrack II 1/8 mic in VS Sony RH1 line in  (Read 9902 times)

Offline (Evan)

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Microtrack II 1/8 mic in VS Sony RH1 line in
« on: January 14, 2009, 03:52:52 PM »
Quick question. I'm going to be recording something this weekend that requires me to use small microphones. So I purchased the Sound Professionals CMC-8 mics, along with their battery box.

I have two recorders. A Microtrack II, and a Sony MZ-RH1 HI MD recorder.

The show I'm recording is not particularly loud so I'm not worried much about clipping, however I was wondering which recorder and input I should use to get the best quality recording? Should I use the Microtrack II 1/8" input with the battery box, or the RH1 Line Input with the battery box? The Microtrack doesn't have a mini Line-In, so that's out of the question. I really want to be able to record in 24 bits, but I was told that the Microtrack's Mic-In is poor quality/inferior to Line-In on Sony.

Any recommendations? Thanks!

Offline boojum

• Needs to get out more...
Re: Microtrack II 1/8 mic in VS Sony RH1 line in
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 01:05:52 AM »
The battery box is not a pre-amp, so you may still need to use "mic-in."  The SONY RH1 has a very good front end, line-in, mic-in lo, and mic-in hi so you have three flavors.  Point: you can always make it louder.  You cannot get the clipping out once it is there.  You can play with it, smoothing the edges of the clip, but it will always be clipping.

I cannot vouch for the Microtrack, but I have a little RH1 and think it is sweet.
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline (Evan)

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 02:56:40 AM »
Yes I know it's not a pre-amp. And as I said, I'm not worried about clipping. I'm only worried about overall quality.

Offline willyp523

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 08:01:44 AM »
Quick question. I'm going to be recording something this weekend that requires me to use small microphones. So I purchased the Sound Professionals CMC-8 mics, along with their battery box.

I have two recorders. A Microtrack II, and a Sony MZ-RH1 HI MD recorder.

The show I'm recording is not particularly loud so I'm not worried much about clipping, however I was wondering which recorder and input I should use to get the best quality recording? Should I use the Microtrack II 1/8" input with the battery box, or the RH1 Line Input with the battery box? The Microtrack doesn't have a mini Line-In, so that's out of the question. I really want to be able to record in 24 bits, but I was told that the Microtrack's Mic-In is poor quality/inferior to Line-In on Sony.

Any recommendations? Thanks!

Haven't owned an RH1 but in the past have used a Sharp MD with a nice front end, along with the same mics you have.  Much preferred that over running 1/8 in on a Microtrack 24/96.  Given the info you've provided...I think your chances for success are greater using the RH1, and I'd run "mic in"   
Peluso cemc6 ck4/ck21/ck41...Line Audio CM3

Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-70D, Sound Devices MixPre 6

Panasonic Lumix ZS3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/willyp523

https://www.youtube.com/user/willyp523/videos

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 08:55:00 AM »
Not even close. Sony MZ-RH1 all the way. Great mic preamp.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

nameloc01

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 05:03:41 PM »
Go MD. Unless its acoustic, I'd go "line in", you can always add gain later if need be. The mic jacks are quite sensitive.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 01:35:50 PM »
I would take 24 bit over 16 bit any time. I'm unfamiliar with the MT2 in terms of personal use, but on the Mt 24/96 (or MT1) the best move was to go through an adapter from 1/8 into 1/4 TRS. This may not be the best idea with the MT2 as there are issues with unbalanced 1/4 inch lines in, but I have made many outstanding recordings on the MT 1, and while I wish it were not true, from the first time I recorded 24 bit there was no turning back. The difference was too much to ignore even though it may require extra post work to dither it back to 16 bit.

If you are confiodent your 1/8 input will not overload, I would go MT. ;D
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 02:07:00 PM »
24 bit may be better than 16 bit, but most hand held recorders like the MT II do not have good enough built in preamps to get any benefit from 24 bit unless you use an external preamp into line in.

The RH1 has a better internal preamp and I think it would be a better choice for you until you get an external pre. You can get good results with your battery box using line in if the source is loud enough to give you decent levels. If not, go mic in. The RH1 has a great mic preamp.

That said, it's very possible that a recording with the MT II would sound equally good to one made with the RH1, but I'd be shocked if it sounded better and I think the RH1 is the safer choice.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680

Offline taper420

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 03:57:12 PM »
as far as front-end and ADC the RH1 is the way to go. again, if it's loud, the preamp on the sony may clip (before the levels do), so the line in might be the best bet.
The ADC on the Sony is VERY high quality.

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 04:21:38 PM »
as far as front-end and ADC the RH1 is the way to go. again, if it's loud, the preamp on the sony may clip (before the levels do)

I agree with taper420 to use line in if it's loud. That's what I do myself, but if you do need to use mic in, there's an easy way to tell if the mic in will clip before the levels indicate clipping. If you need to set the record levels below 12 to keep the meters from hitting 0 DB you will get brickwall distortion and must switch to line in. If you're going mic in, have the record level set at 12 or above, and the meters are peaking below 0 dB you won't clip. 

Offline (Evan)

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 07:28:38 PM »
Thanks for all the replies! Looks like I'll be using the RH1 then.

That brings me to another question. Are there any portable 24/96 recorders that have mic inputs that are as good quality as the RH1?

nameloc01

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 08:23:55 PM »
IMO, a HI-MD deck typically sounds better than the other handhelds (MT,R9s,ect)
I just got my 2nd M100 deck today :)

Offline Falconidave

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "I went to too many concerts" said no one ever!
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 12:13:54 AM »
Thanks for all the replies! Looks like I'll be using the RH1 then.

That brings me to another question. Are there any portable 24/96 recorders that have mic inputs that are as good quality as the RH1?

I would say that the Sony PCM-D50's mic/line-in inputs are as good as the RH1's.  The only problem with using the RH1 is that the maximum bitrate/resolution you can get is 16/44.1 when going PCM wave and then 90 minutes max on a 1GB Hi-MD disk.  I've never owned a MTII, so can't comment there.  But I do own both of the Sony's I mentioned.
Mics: Schoeps MK41; AT853(3-wire)(c,o); AT943(3-wire)(c,o); AT933(3-wire)(c,o); Shure 185(c); Sony ECM-166BMP (o); Sony ECM-166BC (c).
Interconnects: NBob Actives
Preamps: BabyNbox v2
Recorders: Sony PCM-A10(2); Sony PCM-M10; Edirol R-09HR; Sony MZ-RH1
Video: Panasonic HDC-TM700 HD; Panasonic Lumix GX85; Panasonic Lumix DMC ZS100; Canon PowerShot SX50 HD; Sony DSC-HX50V

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 02:28:09 AM »
24 bit may be better than 16 bit, but most hand held recorders like the MT II do not have good enough built in preamps to get any benefit from 24 bit unless you use an external preamp into line in.

I can hear a huge difference. I only use my MT for low pro situations, and the 24 bit is noticably superior to the 16 bit. Personal choice I guess, but I could never go back to an MD.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2009, 07:18:12 AM »
I can hear a huge difference. I only use my MT for low pro situations, and the 24 bit is noticably superior to the 16 bit. Personal choice I guess, but I could never go back to an MD.

Sure it's a matter of personal choice and I admit the MT is capable of making excellent recordings, but I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. You are comparing the MT to Hi-MD aren't you? If you hear a huge difference and are not using a preamp with your MT recordings, it would appear that there may be something going wrong with your MD recordings. IMO, at best, the 24 bit MT recordings (made without an external preamp) should sound about the same as the Hi-MD recordings and no way should they sound way better.

Plus as an added bonus the MZ-RH1 is way easier to use inconspicuously. You can put it in your shirt pocket and just look down into your pocket to check levels.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com