Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 6)  (Read 115186 times)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 6)
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2012, 08:02:17 PM »
I thought that at first w/ my left channel but havent had any problems as of lately ???
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline celtic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2012, 06:17:55 AM »
Had my second run out with my new M10 this week and again I'am having a problem with a background hiss throughout the recording. ???

Settings were:
Rec Level: Manual
Mic Sens: Low
DPC(Speed CTRL) : Off
Record Level: 3
Mic In
Low Cut Filter: Off
Limiter:Off
Plug-in Power: Off

I was recording two rock bands in an arena this time. Position up in the seats just left of centre. The recordings came out pretty good, but again there is a "hiss" throughout the whole recordings. I was using Church CA14 Card mics - Church Battery box - Mic In-M10. Any idea what might be causing this hiss. Is there any other setting on the recorder that could be causing this hiss? or is my recorder faulty.
I've now tried both Line-in and Mic-in and get the hiss on both. I've also tried a different Battery box / Battery / Mics and get the hiss also. It has to be the recorder,right??
Has anybody ever had this problem with a M10?

« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 07:26:47 AM by celtic »

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2012, 12:18:11 PM »
Line In would be a better choice
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2012, 12:18:38 PM »
can you post a sample? what were the meters showing?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2012, 01:37:21 AM »
Was there an air conditioner where you were recording? Seriously, if there is a hiss in the room, you might tune it out but your mics won't.

I'd suggest you try making other recordings,  just around the house--maybe with your stereo. Use your concert setup, use mics-->mic-in, use the internal mics. You want to check each part of the chain.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 01:42:44 AM by earmonger »

Offline heehaw

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2012, 12:45:24 PM »
m10 grows up in price. Now it's 249$ on B&H (was 229$).
2 x mkh40 > mixpre-d > m10

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2012, 01:28:20 PM »
it goes back and forth all the time

Offline heehaw

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2012, 04:01:01 PM »
ahh damn business
2 x mkh40 > mixpre-d > m10

Offline listener2

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2012, 06:11:50 PM »
Had my second run out with my new M10 this week and again I'am having a problem with a background hiss throughout the recording. ???

Settings were:
Mic In

I was recording two rock bands in an arena this time. Position up in the seats just left of centre. The recordings came out pretty good, but again there is a "hiss" throughout the whole recordings. I was using Church CA14 Card mics - Church Battery box - Mic In-M10. Any idea what might be causing this hiss. Is there any other setting on the recorder that could be causing this hiss? or is my recorder faulty.
I've now tried both Line-in and Mic-in and get the hiss on both. I've also tried a different Battery box / Battery / Mics and get the hiss also. It has to be the recorder,right??
Hi, hmmm, I just made a recording with my Sony M10 using DPA-4060's and 9Volt home brew battery box.  I had the settings similar to yours using Mic-In, Low Mic Sensitivity setting and recording level knob set to around 2.2 on the dial.  All effects and filters turned off for flat recording.  I went out to record the annual Memorial Day parade passing by neighborhood. I don't hear any hiss at all with this
very low recording level setting on my M10.  Since I see you tried two different inputs (Mic-In and Line-In) on your M10 and still report hearing hiss I surmise either you have a defective noisey unit OR the other common culprit is that the set of CA14 Card mics you are using are themselves generating the noise hiss you hear.
So, have you tried to test with any other microphones instead of the CA14 set that you used and see if the hiss is still there?  It very well could be noisey mic elements which means defective mics and Church Audio I am sure will replace them for you if that was the case.  I have the same set of mics and they work well.  But you may have a noisey set?  Just saying to check that as a cause of the hiss.
Otherwise I would check with Sony to see if they will replace your hissy M10.

Update: oops, I just saw that you said you did try different mics and battery boxes.  So if that is the case and the hiss is always there, yes safe to conclude that your M10 is the culprit.
I don't know how loud of a hiss you are reporting but if it is very noticeable and loud then I would say it is a defect in the unit.  But if it is really very low hiss, it might be normal and you have exremely sensitive hearing.  Without a sample of it, we cannot tell for sure right now.

Update2: Well just want to tell you that last night I played my recording of the Memorial Day parade on the M10 unit itself listening with a pair of efficient Sony 7606 headphones and during the quiet or silent parts of the recording I could detect a slight amount of what sounded like hiss level. Not sure if it was just ambient noise level of my room surroundings or device hisss though.  Maybe that's what you are hearing. Again it may just that some folks hear this hiss and it bothers them while other folks it might not bother them at all.  If you are recording rock concert level sound then the hiss should not even be audible. If you are recording quieter type situations like insect noises and such then the hiss will become a factor.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 04:24:55 PM by listener2 »

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2012, 10:11:28 AM »
9Volt home brew battery box.

What is your "9Volt home brew battery box"?
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline listener2

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2012, 04:05:28 PM »
9Volt home brew battery box.

What is your "9Volt home brew battery box"?
It is a home made battery box that I built specially for the DPA 4060 binaural microphones with their microdot connectors.
I did this about 2 years ago so don't remember all the details but I was active posting to these forums back then and you probably can search for info on it in DPA 4060 mic battery box and microdot connecters related forums. Hope that helps but,
I am not sure what exactly you are asking for here by your unclear question.

Update: I did some digging for you and found the thread that describes all the info you'll need to build your own DPA-4060 mics battery box.
Here: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=132627.30
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 10:56:13 PM by listener2 »

Offline celtic

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2012, 04:16:50 PM »

Settings were:
Mic In

Hi, hmmm, I just made a recording with my Sony M10 using DPA-4060's and 9Volt home brew battery box.  I had the settings similar to yours using Mic-In, Low Mic Sensitivity setting and recording level knob set to around 2.2 on the dial.  All effects and filters turned off for flat recording.  I went out to record the annual Memorial Day parade passing by neighborhood. I don't hear any hiss at all with this
very low recording level setting on my M10.  Since I see you tried two different inputs (Mic-In and Line-In) on your M10 and still report hearing hiss I surmise either you have a defective noisey unit OR the other common culprit is that the set of CA14 Card mics you are using are themselves generating the noise hiss you hear.
So, have you tried to test with any other microphones instead of the CA14 set that you used and see if the hiss is still there?  It very well could be noisey mic elements which means defective mics and Church Audio I am sure will replace them for you if that was the case.  I have the same set of mics and they work well.  But you may have a noisey set?  Just saying to check that as a cause of the hiss.
Otherwise I would check with Sony to see if they will replace your hissy M10.
Update: oops, I just saw that you said you did try different mics and battery boxes.  So if that is the case and the hiss is always there, yes safe to conclude that your M10 is the culprit.
I don't know how loud of a hiss you are reporting but if it is very noticeable and loud then I would say it is a defect in the unit.  But if it is really very low hiss, it might be normal and you have exremely sensitive hearing.  Without a sample of it, we cannot tell for sure right now.

Its the m10. I've sent it back to be repaired or exchanged. I guess I'll know for sure in a few days.

Offline listener2

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2012, 04:27:54 PM »
Its the m10. I've sent it back to be repaired or exchanged. I guess I'll know for sure in a few days.
Oh, okay.  I had just added another update2 to my original reply to you.  Anyways, hope you get back a nice new working M10.  It is a fine unit.

Offline celtic

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2012, 04:38:29 PM »
Oh, okay.  I had just added another update2 to my original reply to you.  Anyways, hope you get back a nice new working M10.  It is a fine unit.

Yeah, its a great unit for sure. Guess I was just unlucky with the one I got.

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2012, 08:00:37 PM »
You got the one that was nostalgic for the cassette era. Tape hiss!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com