Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 7)  (Read 112775 times)

Offline Sunday Driver

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 7)
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2013, 02:23:01 PM »
Not sure if this has come up in any of the M10 threads yet, but has anyone noticed a lack of bass in recordings they made with external mics using the mic input and internal pre? During a recent show I taped, the mix seemed muddy with a lot of low end, however on playback something doesn't sound right. It's as if everything from 150Hz downwards has been rolled off. This stands out because my old R-09HR's internal preamp sound signature was very bass heavy to my ears, and I'm used to making fairly bass heavy recordings.

Also, this is probably old news, but I'm disappointed with the quality of whatever metal (plastic?) coating is on the front and back case. It scratches very easily. The same goes for the clear plastic screen cover- I already have a scratch on it and I've only had it for a couple of months. I put my R-09HR through hell for five years and aside from some wear in the rubber material at the corners it looks almost new.
You either record it or it's gone forever.
My Tapes

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2013, 04:15:09 PM »
I had a REALLY difficult time formatting my 64gb micro card to FAT32 on my desktop PC.  I was about to return it but was able to get MIke's instructions to work on my new laptop.  I will try to pup it into my M10 soon.  I am looking forward to not having to delete items so often.  Is that playing with fire?
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline blg

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2013, 11:12:08 AM »
Don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but my M10 is pretty much toast. The delete button is stuck and none of the other buttons will function. I noticed it last sunday after a show, when i hit stop after the show ended, it immediately asked me if i wanted to delete the file. I got home, transferred the show, deleted it off the card.

Last night, recorded another show. It came out fine, but the problem is now worse. If i push the menu button, it immediatley goes to delete file, but i can't actually do it since none of the other buttons work. Tried prying up the delete button a little, but that did not change anything. Guess i'll be getting another one. I taped about 50 shows with it over the past 18 months.
Schoeps MK41 |
Naiant Tinybox v2.5 w/OT
NBob Actives v2
Sony PCM-M10 x2
dime LMA

cashandkerouac

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2013, 12:21:27 PM »
Don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but my M10 is pretty much toast. The delete button is stuck and none of the other buttons will function. I noticed it last sunday after a show, when i hit stop after the show ended, it immediately asked me if i wanted to delete the file. I got home, transferred the show, deleted it off the card.

Last night, recorded another show. It came out fine, but the problem is now worse. If i push the menu button, it immediatley goes to delete file, but i can't actually do it since none of the other buttons work. Tried prying up the delete button a little, but that did not change anything. Guess i'll be getting another one. I taped about 50 shows with it over the past 18 months.

i love my M10.  2 years old, has had very heavy use (150+ shows) and no issues at all.  the build quality is pretty good (considering the sale price of $199), but these things don't last forever.  i've got a D-50 that i keep as a back-up unit.  the build quality on the D-50 is much better than the M10, but it's got a much bigger footprint and weighs a lot more.  for  >:D applications i haven't found anything better than the M10.

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2013, 02:23:55 PM »
Don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but my M10 is pretty much toast. The delete button is stuck and none of the other buttons will function.

Why not try calling Sony service and see if they can suggest a way to clean the buttons? Maybe it's just some kind of gunk in there.

Or, for a cleaner, Dyneq suggested this to me:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=161092.msg2029466#msg2029466

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2013, 02:25:36 PM »
I have 77 shows since 10/09 (probably over 220 performers) and mine works as great as day 1.... only scrapes and scratches from stealthing it in pockets.... IMHO nothing better out there for stealth and external mics (based on bang for the buck and ruggedness)

Offline blg

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2013, 03:08:40 PM »
I have 77 shows since 10/09 (probably over 220 performers) and mine works as great as day 1.... only scrapes and scratches from stealthing it in pockets.... IMHO nothing better out there for stealth and external mics (based on bang for the buck and ruggedness)

Oh, I completely agree and the thought of ordering anything else but another M10 never crossed my mind.  I'm going to go ahead and get a new one and If I can do anything to fix other one, I'll try it and maybe I'll end up with 2 that work. 
Schoeps MK41 |
Naiant Tinybox v2.5 w/OT
NBob Actives v2
Sony PCM-M10 x2
dime LMA

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2013, 11:19:17 AM »
Last Sunday, I recorded five consecutive sets and they all came out great sound-wise. However, the last two sets have dropouts in the right channel at the end of each set. One is the last 6 minutes, the other the last 3 minutes. They just drop out completely. Checksums were created on the SD card before they were transferred to the computer. So, this leads me to assume that something happened (while saving the file?) with the m10. It seems unlikely that the mics or tinybox would have coincidentally killed the channel before the end of each set.

Anyone ever have this issue?
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline gmm6797

• Homepage
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2013, 10:31:56 PM »
internal or external mics?

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2013, 11:54:05 PM »
I was running mics > naiant tinybox > m10.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2013, 07:49:48 PM »
I put on around 250+ sets a year on each of my m10's, and theyve been going strong for over 2 years. Guess Im just lucky. I also baby the HELL out of my gear ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline gmm6797

• Homepage
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2013, 11:07:06 PM »

My guess is a loose cable or internally broken/frayed cable... I have been in both situations before and was easily able to rule out the M10 every single time

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2013, 09:17:13 AM »

My guess is a loose cable or internally broken/frayed cable... I have been in both situations before and was easily able to rule out the M10 every single time
bet he is right
I had a similar situation but mine was always dropping t the beginning of the set
Turns out the cable had. Loose connection in the housing and was dropping out when I moved it. It was doing it in the beginning for me because hats when I was checking levels and moving the m10 with cable hooked up around. As soon as I set it down and left it the rest of the how was fine
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline TAlderson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2013, 09:41:10 PM »
This might be an odd/stupid question, but it interests me nonetheless, as I'm leaning heavily in favor of buying an M10...

The M10 has internal memory as well as a slot for a card. If I were to record enough to fill up, say, the 16 GB card I might put in, would the device then start recording to the internal memory, or would I have to manually switch something? Could it do so mid-recording (sort of like splitting a track at the 2GB limit)?

-Tyler

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2013, 10:15:30 PM »

The M10 has internal memory as well as a slot for a card. If I were to record enough to fill up, say, the 16 GB card I might put in, would the device then start recording to the internal memory, or would I have to manually switch something?

-Tyler

You can set up the M10 to switch automatically [see p39 in the manual]:

"When the memory currently being used becomes full during recording, the PCM recorder automatically switches its destination to the other memory media and continues recording (Cross-Memory Recording)."

Could it do so mid-recording (sort of like splitting a track at the 2GB limit)?

Yes, it takes care of the split as well.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.109 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com