Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How to behave when taping?  (Read 4962 times)

Offline Wiesel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
How to behave when taping?
« on: January 16, 2005, 02:45:30 PM »
I just wondered how the result would be if you jump around when recording or sing along with the band (or better: scream).

Is the recording really getting much worse than it would get when you tape a show without movement or voice? And in this case, what difference would be between a recording with binaural (omnis) or cardioid mics?

Offline BlueEyes17el

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: How to behave when taping?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2005, 02:48:00 PM »
I just wondered how the result would be if you jump around when recording or sing along with the band (or better: scream).

Is the recording really getting much worse than it would get when you tape a show without movement or voice? And in this case, what difference would be between a recording with binaural (omnis) or cardioid mics?

I'd also like to know the answer to this question. I don't want to stand in a crowd like a statue.
SP-CMC-2 < SP-SPSB-6 < JB3

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2005, 02:48:48 PM »

Yes, and not much.

Crank up your home stereo nice and loud and try bopping around / singing along / screaming and see how it sounds.  Granted, the PA output will be much louder than your home stereo, but...you'll get an idea of the impact it'll have.  There's a reason I turn into a statue when I'm stealthing.  :)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

hexyjones

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2005, 02:53:01 PM »
Well - folks that are serious about stealthing become the "human mic stand" - - -

And yeah - you have to stand still...otherwise you will hear a swirly wooshy-ness in the recording...much worse...!

If you dont want to stand like a statue...then dont bother...IMO.

Offline BlueEyes17el

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2005, 03:00:42 PM »
Well - folks that are serious about stealthing become the "human mic stand" - - -

And yeah - you have to stand still...otherwise you will hear a swirly wooshy-ness in the recording...much worse...!

If you dont want to stand like a statue...then dont bother...IMO.

Well I'll be going to multiple shows of the same band next year, so I guess I'll pick and choose which shows I want to tape before hand, or depending on how security is.
SP-CMC-2 < SP-SPSB-6 < JB3

Offline Wiesel

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2005, 03:22:13 PM »
Unfortunately I don't have the possibility to turn my stereo at a loud level, so I've no opportunity to test it.

In general, if I would tape a band, than in first place for my personal memory. So a bit of wooshy-ness in the recording wouldn't be that problem. But what I'm afraid of is, when I sing or scream at extremely loud concerts (rock & metal), would it over-sound the band on the recording? or would it just be barely audible?

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2005, 04:29:37 PM »
But what I'm afraid of is, when I sing or scream at extremely loud concerts (rock & metal), would it over-sound the band on the recording? or would it just be barely audible?

If you feel the need to do this, stealthing is not for you. Even talking to someone quietly will be picked up by the mics.
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline bagtagsell

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2005, 05:06:46 PM »
also becareful of the company you bring.  ie girlfriend can have a wonderful conversation right into your mics.
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2005, 05:26:29 PM »
If you feel the need to do this, stealthing is not for you. Even talking to someone quietly will be picked up by the mics.

what he said
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2005, 05:33:06 PM »
Whether or not talking/screaming will really be a distraction in your recording depends on who you are recording and where you are in the venue.  I stealthed Dream Theater, third row last summer, screamed a lot, sounded fine.  A few weeks later, Rush, near the back of the outdoor Pavilion.  Everyone one of my screams was overpowering.  I ended up running a multiband compressor to help the recording.

As far as movement goes--I do something that is different than most here.  I hold all of my mics in my hand, freeing me up to move at least a little bit.  But then again, I don't tape anywhere where security is so tight that I have to hide the mics in my hat or shirt.
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline Wiesel

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2005, 05:50:31 PM »
ok, thanks for your replies.

yeah, but I don't have the intention to make a high quality recording, so you can't say stealthing is not for me. If I would want to make a really good recording, to would be obvious to be quiet and stand still. And like Karl said... it's possible that it sounds fine, but it doesn't have to. Thats good, there's at least the chance of making a "useful" recording.

also becareful of the company you bring.  ie girlfriend can have a wonderful conversation right into your mics.

lol, that would be the greatest *g* :-\

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2005, 07:39:31 PM »
ok, thanks for your replies.

yeah, but I don't have the intention to make a high quality recording, so you can't say stealthing is not for me. If I would want to make a really good recording, to would be obvious to be quiet and stand still. And like Karl said... it's possible that it sounds fine, but it doesn't have to. Thats good, there's at least the chance of making a "useful" recording.

lol, that would be the greatest *g* :-\

No intention of making a high quality recording?
Why do it then?
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

sml42

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2005, 07:56:55 PM »
If you made a recording with lots of whoopin' an' hollerin'... and traded the show... and I somehow received a copy... I would not consider that a good trade.

If you never intend to circulate the shows... all well and good... but since we already established your tapes will be somewhat less than perfect, do everyone here a favour and stay well clear of the sweet spot... please? Believe it or not, some of us would rather make tapes withOUT the whoopin' an' hollerin'... yeah, we can be cranky that way, but humour us, would ya?

best regards,
stephen

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2005, 08:34:03 PM »
Agreed Stephen.  I taped Lynyrd Skynyrd this summer and had tons of clappers around me.  I didn't feel its was worth trading, so its in storage.

As for singing along while stealthing: I don't recommend it.  Take the Ashlee Simpson approach.  As for dancing around: anything can come loose.  My self, I'm a swayer at most shows.  The technique offered no problems with my stealth recordings.  Even moving away slowly from wookies on the floor, didn't ruin my recording.  But sudden, gregarious moves might.  Besides, after going to over 150 shows lifetime, my cartilage in my knees are spent.  So, dancing is ruled out even if I wasn't taping.

Never bust on anyone for having a good time when your stealthing.  If you think they are cool, work out a deal with everyone in your seating area prior to the show.  Offer them a copy of the show.  And don't stiff them.  Our reputation is important in the non-taper community.  Even if some of them can be dicks.

Most of all, have fun.  Being a human-Bogen stand can be tough on the body, but enjoying the show, not just working it, should always be the perogative.  Hope that helps.

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2005, 10:02:26 PM »
I usually have to shelid people from singing into my mics while taping.  Stupid girls think that it is a stage mic, and grab it off the SHOCK MOUNT, and start yelling...

ruining my tape.

Ergh, I hate 'em!
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2005, 11:10:08 PM »
FWIW, with cardioids you can yell pretty damn loud and as long as you are directly behind the mics they will pick up almost nothing. You do have to be RIGHT behind though, 180°. The more you get off this rear axis the more they will pick up.

Anyway, sounds like you just want to have a memory from the show and don't care that much about how HQ it is, just go have fun and do your thing, then afterward listen over headphones and decide whether you want to act the same way next time you go out and tape. I think everyone has different standards for how inanimate and quiet to be when stealth taping. I can tell you that if you are moving the mics around a lot it will sound swooshy and phasey, as corkscrew said. Also it will sound like crap if the mics are rubbing on your clothes and the like.

Happy taping,
Ben

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline pepper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2005, 05:24:34 AM »
I personally thought this would have defeated the point of taping a show.A bit of audience noise can add atomosphere,but loud screaming/yelling/talking can ruin it and make it horrible to listen back to.As for quality,i remember using a real cheap sanyo dictation machine which gave results like crap.The recordings i made with it i treasure as i had no other means of taping gigs,so although far from hq they have sentimental value for me.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.134 seconds with 45 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com