Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: onstage caps?  (Read 2933 times)

Offline Aaron734

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • One Man Wolf Pack
onstage caps?
« on: March 12, 2005, 02:44:12 AM »
im taping onstage tomorrow. i the past i have always used cards and gotten good/great results. i never had hyper caps at the time though. i was wondering if there were any advantages/disadvantages affiliated with running hypers onstage. if i were to take a guess i would say that cards would be better, but im curious what you all think.
thanks,
aaron
Live Rig:

mk21 / mk22 > KC10 > cmc6 > V3 > Mixpre 6ii

Home Playback:

Vinyl: Rega Planar 3 with Exact 2 MM Cartridge > McIntosh MA252 > Audioquest Rocket 33 > Focal Aria 926

CD / Stream: Bluesound NODE / NAD C538 > Audioquest Carbon COAX > Cambridge Audio DacMagic 200M > Audioquest Red River XLR > > McIntosh MA252 > Audioquest Rocket 33 >  Focal Aria 926

Office Playback:

NAD C328 > Klipsch RP-400M

Detroit Then, Denver, Now.

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my list
Re: onstage caps?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2005, 02:47:59 AM »
I would go with cards unless omni is an option.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2005, 02:48:32 AM »
cards would def be the usual way to go, but FWIW, i have an onstage tape alex herd made w/ the TL's and theyre GREAT w/ hypers :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Aaron734

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • One Man Wolf Pack
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2005, 10:33:07 AM »
cards would def be the usual way to go, but FWIW, i have an onstage tape alex herd made w/ the TL's and theyre GREAT w/ hypers :)

great, thanks guys, i think ill stick with the cards if i run my mics, but actually, pfife offered to let me borrow his TLs tonight..... ??? maybe ill give that a shot with the hypers. +ts
Live Rig:

Home Playback:

Vinyl: Rega Planar 3 with Exact 2 MM Cartridge > McIntosh MA252 > Audioquest Rocket 33 > Focal Aria 926

CD / Stream: Bluesound NODE / NAD C538 > Audioquest Carbon COAX > Cambridge Audio DacMagic 200M > Audioquest Red River XLR > > McIntosh MA252 > Audioquest Rocket 33 >  Focal Aria 926

Office Playback:

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2005, 11:18:10 AM »
pfife offered to let me borrow his TLs tonight..... ???

In that case, try omnis!
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

hexyjones

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2005, 11:46:16 AM »
I think the thing with on-stage omnis needs to clarified a bit...

at least this is what my experiments tell me...

The term "on stage" might be used a bit too loosely...not all staging situations are alike...

For small rooms - where the band might have their back to the wall or their amps near the wall - omnis tend to sound like a complete mess...everything sounds too flattened out, response-wise...and the spatial effect is not what you would hope for...

But if the band is on bigger stage...where there might be 10-20 feet of open air behind the band...then omnis make nice recording from the stage.

For the small rooms I've been using cards - attached to each guitar players vocal mic stand - about 30 inches from the ground. L-R - various spacings...as much as 20 feet, as few as 6...aim the mics between the guitar amp and the drummer - my mics generally end up 5-7 feet from the nearest guitar or drum. I try to avoid the bass amp - as thats the most likely path to brickwalling...The cards produce a very tight discrete sound.

Add the board mix - I record both sources as loud as possible...In my case the board has only vox, kick and sometimes overhead...this makes the vocals sound very clear..but you still have the nice onstage sound...

Here's a recent matrix...perhaps a bit hot out of the shoot...

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=22735&from=browseRecent
« Last Edit: March 12, 2005, 11:50:06 AM by corkscrew »

Offline Aaron734

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • One Man Wolf Pack
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2005, 02:15:17 PM »
thanks for the toughts guys, +ts.....

Live Rig:

Home Playback:

Office Playback:

Offline Tim

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2005, 02:45:56 PM »
pfife offered to let me borrow his TLs tonight..... ???

In that case, try omnis!

without a doubt
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Tim

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2005, 02:47:56 PM »
I think the thing with on-stage omnis needs to clarified a bit...
For small rooms - where the band might have their back to the wall or their amps near the wall - omnis tend to sound like a complete mess...everything sounds too flattened out, response-wise...and the spatial effect is not what you would hope for...

But if the band is on bigger stage...where there might be 10-20 feet of open air behind the band...then omnis make nice recording from the stage.

I've had just as much success in very small rooms with small stages (tiny bar with low ceilings and the stage and amps right near a solid wall) as I have had in 800 person rooms

YMMV
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Swampy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • You Worthless Swampy Fool
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2005, 03:51:09 PM »
-Bows in humility- thanks bean! Ya, that was one of the only situations Id use hypers. Basiclly, my mics had to be like a foot in front of the drums, so I didnt want it to be all drums, so I ran hypers DIN to catch everything else, and it turned out great! I really think that this is just one of thoes situations (like most in taping) where there is really no definitive answer that can be given, its all about the situation at hand...

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2005, 05:46:31 PM »
You never know how a tape will turn out until you listen to it. I taped a few local bands on a big ass paddle boat in a low ceiling room with shitty acoustics. I ran my TL's with the omni's spit about 4', running about 4' off the groud right in front of the band (they had super limited space). It was a mix of cabs, totally raw drums and one band had a 3 piece horn section that pretty much played into one of my mics....one of the best damn recordings I have ever done and I was expecting it to sound like complete ass.
If you are real close, run the cards over the hypers would omni's usually working the best. If you can borrow some TL's, by all means borrow them, the omni setting on those is the best IMO
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com